Any ideas on how to 'repair' ugly horizontal scar on ficus?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In the middle of the attached photo you can see a horizontal scar that goes almost all of the way around the trunk. I suppose it was done by wire some time in the past. I know I can't repair it, but does anyone have any ideas on how I could mask this or change it into a more interesting scar?

20190428_01_bonsai_ficus_1 – Version 3.jpg

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
White tac to mask it?

Seriously though maybe you could do a aerial root graft from the scar if thats possible?

Attachments

• White tac.jpg
    White tac.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 115

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Probly not on purpose!

Seems that was a small apical part when applied, vigorous.

If the wire is out .....

You can gouge through it vertically.

I'd cut it off and try to root it.

Seems a great option.

Sorce

It does!

You can see two the two lines here. Funny bc I got it to airlayer it pretty much at that top scar under the skinny front branch
15836727173661330282474.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Probly not on purpose!

If the wire is out .....

Seems a great option.

Sorce
Boo Hiss! Say No to stumping.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It does!

You can see two the two lines here. Funny bc I got it to airlayer it pretty much at that top scar under the skinny front branch
View attachment 287468
1,2,3,4,5,6, 7 wire marks.
tiger rings.JPG
You can also take your knob cutter and take a bite of the trunk as though a branch had been removed strategically located to obscure the un-natural straight line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
White tac to mask it?

Seriously though maybe you could do a aerial root graft from the scar if thats possible?
Ha ha. I could also photoshop it :). The aerial root graft is an idea. It's pretty high up on the tree though (the photo only shows the upper half), but why not? Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Probly not on purpose!

If the wire is out .....

Seems a great option.

Sorce
Gouging through it vertically would cause vertical scar that distracts from the unnatural horizontal scar? Makes sense. Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have had some success with cutting the scar out, not all the way around of course, but doing a third at a time. It creates a small wound that usually heals in one season, sometimes quicker, depending on how vigorous it is growing.
Thank you - I will try that.

greenman63

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ficus have pretty resilient bark. I'd tend to agree with Mellow Mullet, that carefully cutting out the scar is a good option that heals faster than the wire marks. I'd describe it as carefully shaving down the area immediately surrounding the scar, which will expose a layer of the cambium. This should heal up fairly easily with much reduced visual scarring. I would personally use an exacto knife with a curved blade. You can choose from several appropriate blades for delicate work, such as one of these:

Just be very careful using these, they can cut very deeply, but they give you excellent control.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lower part of tree is a mess so would not hurt to turn tree to hide it/change front or second to idea of cutting off scarred top of tree;).

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
1,2,3,4,5,6, 7 wire marks.
View attachment 287476
You can also take your knob cutter and take a bite of the trunk as though a branch had been removed strategically located to obscure the un-natural straight line.

:p I saw this too after seeing the close up picture I posted

I got this as a franken tree of sorts to propogate from as it's ugly as sin. That's not a bad spot!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ficus have pretty resilient bark. I'd tend to agree with Mellow Mullet, that carefully cutting out the scar is a good option that heals faster than the wire marks. I'd describe it as carefully shaving down the area immediately surrounding the scar, which will expose a layer of the cambium. This should heal up fairly easily with much reduced visual scarring. I would personally use an exacto knife with a curved blade. You can choose from several appropriate blades for delicate work, such as one of these:

Just be very careful using these, they can cut very deeply, but they give you excellent control.
Cool. Thank you.

Top Bottom