Any ideas on shape?

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Got a free mass production Chinese elm, well technically not free if u count the gas to go pick it up from my co-worker. Just looking for some ideas on improving the overall look and style of the tree, it just seems soo boring to me.

Attachments

• 20190930_224916.jpg
    20190930_224916.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 72

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Hi,
You could chop it off at the first branch and use that as your new trunk section. Otherwise I agree with you that it is boring.
My 2 cents,
Charles
Honestly I did consider air layering at that point and planting both ends in the ground

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Honestly I did consider air layering at that point and planting both ends in the ground

Yep that would work also. You can also not bother with the air layer and in Winter/early Spring just put the chopped piece in a pot of mix as they root really easy.
Charles

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am totally artistically challenged so I will only say, tilt your picture at different angles. I did that and I see a couple of interesting possibilities.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I am totally artistically challenged so I will only say, tilt your picture at different angles. I did that and I see a couple of interesting possibilities.
😂 i totally understand!!! thanks for the picture advise anything and everything is helpful

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put it in the ground for a few years? When the trunk is 3 times its current thickness, the bends won't look so unnatural.
CW

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Put it in the ground for a few years? When the trunk is 3 times its current thickness, the bends won't look so unnatural.
CW
Hey now that sounds interesting. Bends wont be so aggressive, so would u also advise allowing more height to grow as well or keep it trimmed to the same height?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey now that sounds interesting. Bends wont be so aggressive, so would u also advise allowing more height to grow as well or keep it trimmed to the same height?
Your gonna have to just let it grow if you want thickness. Tree will not thicken if you keep it trimmed. Once the desired thickness is achieved, would be the best time to start trimming. A little selective pruning here and there to avoid potential problems in the future is fine, but for the most part just let it grow for thickness.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Your gonna have to just let it grow if you want thickness. Tree will not thicken if you keep it trimmed. Once the desired thickness is achieved, would be the best time to start trimming. A little selective pruning here and there to avoid potential problems in the future is fine, but for the most part just let it grow for thickness.
I think we have a winner!!! Thank you kind sir in the ground it goes. Hold on..... is there a certain time or season that this transplant should be done?

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we have a winner!!! Thank you kind sir in the ground it goes. Hold on..... is there a certain time or season that this transplant should be done?
Anytime as long as you just slip pot into ground. But c.elms can survive a lot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd ditch everything low and triangle it out.
Capture+_2019-10-01-09-28-49.png

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got a free mass production Chinese elm, well technically not free if u count the gas to go pick it up from my co-worker. Just looking for some ideas on improving the overall look and style of the tree, it just seems soo boring to me.
Go with KIWI's suggestion, but also start several cuttings, they grow fast. That way you can wire mor interesting shapes and movement as they grow!

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If it was mine, I would airlayer it and shoot for something like this.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it was mine, I would airlayer it and shoot for something like this.
View attachment 264981
Why would somebody air layer a stick lmao.
The point of an layer is taking a nice looking piece of the tree away that has great potential to become its own tree.

Air layer this... just to throw the layer in the ground to thicken followed by a trunk chop for taper. Makes no sense.

Unless going for a mame size tree. Even then I would still NOT air layer an s-curved Walmart cookie cut tree. I would trunk chop in spring for back budding, add taper, and get rid of the s-curve, if want to keep small.

Danny Tuckey

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I bought an S shaped Chinese elm a year and a half ago.
DSC_0156.JPG
I bought it since it was a better s shape with some movent that the others didn't have.
I repotted and let it grow unchecked. Then did selective pruning.
IMG_20190301_134556.jpg

My idea at first with it was to make a sort of sinuous raft style tree as you can see here.
IMG_20190423_143804.jpgIMG_20191001_172648.jpg
Could be an option for you possibly but I guess your s shape is too one dimensional and large which will look weird.

But for my c.elm I've just been developing it with a penjing look. I may go back to the Raft idea in the future..
IMG_20190817_151101.jpg
Good luck with yours.

Last edited:

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Why would somebody air layer a stick lmao.
The point of an layer is taking a nice looking piece of the tree away that has great potential to become its own tree.

Air layer this... just to throw the layer in the ground to thicken followed by a trunk chop for taper. Makes no sense.

Unless going for a mame size tree. Even then I would still NOT air layer an s-curved Walmart cookie cut tree. I would trunk chop in spring for back budding, add taper, and get rid of the s-curve, if want to keep small.
😅😅😅 calm down its a free cookie cutter tree at the worst at least ill have tons of cuttings thanks for the idea tho

Top Bottom