Any ideas on this succulent*

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I rescued this from death as it was neglected on a window sil in my house.

My wife can't recall what it is, and I have no clue. I think it's a succulent, but it's got proper hard woody stems.

Thought I might have some fun with it instead of it being chucked.

Any ideas what I'm dealing with?

20211022_190152.jpg20211022_190201.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have seen this offered in greenhouses and I think it is some sort of Crassula, same family as jade plant.
I think it merits an effort on your part. There are a lot of great succulents besides jade plants for bonsai.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like Crassula rupestris or one of the "string of" plants. I don't think those stems will ever thicken to any significant degree and it likes to offset from the base like a shrub. Great looking plant but not sure how tree-like it can become.

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks both!

You are both correct. Definitely crassula. Which I hadn't even considered.
Rupestris or perforata look the closest from Google images.

I'll just see what happens. It's definitely cool being such a woody plant.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with a Crassula sp. There are a few with similar habit, including perforata, rupestris and marnieriana. Like most succulents they are hardy so treat them as succulents and it should thrive. They do tend to get untidy after a while so starting fresh every year or so helps keep them looking good. These ones do not seem to ever develop a trunk as such, just long thin stems and all the species I grow are prostrate and hang down over the edge of the pot so I'd agree it is unlikely to ever become 'bonsai' but might do as an accent plant or just grow it for what it is.

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Perfect. Thanks everyone.

I was surprised by it's upright nature. Will see how it grows. It will live in my office next to the aquarium.
It being a Crassula certainly explains how my wife didn't kill it. 😂

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My wife has one of these planted in an old tea pot. It flowers profusely with little white flowers.

I’d be inclined to train as a nice accent piece!

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My wife has one of these planted in an old tea pot. It flowers profusely with little white flowers.

I’d be inclined to train as a nice accent piece!
Flowers? Awesome!
Considering I'm in the UK and it's house bound. Would you expect it to still flower?

I think an accent planting is a great idea.

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
While this is the most logical thing to do, consider the illogical, your first thought.
Often the things we work on, in spite of ourselves, give us the most joy.
Absolutely. I'll see where the plant wants to go!

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It doesn't have to be. Come Spring, you can set it outside in the sun until Fall. It will reward you with much better growth.
Just remember that like your other houseplants and tropicals, it needs a transition period to full outdoor sun. I usually dump mine outdoors whenever the night temperatures remain above 40F or 5C.

Top Bottom