Any ideas what these seedlings are.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi

I was given some packs of seeds in a bonsai grow your own kit, there was nothing saying what the seeds were, I planted them and I have three shoots that have appeared.

Does anyone know what they are

Attachments

• FC7C340C-1183-409D-BB69-B098B6B88FF3.jpeg
    FC7C340C-1183-409D-BB69-B098B6B88FF3.jpeg
    347.2 KB · Views: 217
  • C1EF4944-53CF-45ED-A38A-357DA76AE5C6.jpeg
    C1EF4944-53CF-45ED-A38A-357DA76AE5C6.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 205

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what you have there are the initial leaves, the cotyledons. These are hardly ever usefull in identifying individual species. As here too.
The seeds might be a better indication; else wait for the first leaves.

untill then, I am going with a plant species.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We could TRY identifying by the cotyledons... (I’m bored, 🤣).. hmm there are several distinctive cotyledons I have encountered that “stand out” from the others I have encountered..

I can say, with certainty that it’s NOT any conifer (as already stated ;) ) , not Punica Granatum (actually “brain-ish” shaped cotyledon. It is NOT Parkinsonia (zebra-like striped on the Cotyledon).. Not a Chile 🤣 (distinctly ((mostly)) “sharp” cotyledon.

Most Acer Cotyledons are larger and more bulbous... a slightly larger version of “THE cotyledon” structure/image you see in MOST seedlings.

These ones are smaller. And SOMEWHAT pointy...

I just KEEP going so you understand the types of things/difficulties to consider when trying to ID plants this young...

Do you NEED an ID now?

Will it change the way you FEEL about the plant? Or it’s care?

I’d just wait. 🤓

This is a game of patience... investments of time, passion,art and manual work rewarding you and teaching you in the process.

If your going to have the seedling for a while... I would just wait for “big-boy(girl) leaves” to ID.

Or search vendor’s seed packets... see what looks like “the same pack”.. and compare pictures of seedlings.. (look University sites for seedling stuff)

...or just wait.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You know last year there was a bunch of people across the States getting a free pack of seeds in the mail......I wonder if they were bonsai seeds?
I actually got a pack of “guitar spoons” That I did not order, from China, around that same time.

Just opened ‘em a few days ago.
1613145407762.jpeg

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We could TRY identifying by the cotyledons... (I’m bored, 🤣).. hmm there are several distinctive cotyledons I have encountered that “stand out” from the others I have encountered..

I can say, with certainty that it’s NOT any conifer (as already stated ;) ) , not Punica Granatum (actually “brain-ish” shaped cotyledon. It is NOT Parkinsonia (zebra-like striped on the Cotyledon).. Not a Chile 🤣 (distinctly ((mostly)) “sharp” cotyledon.

Most Acer Cotyledons are larger and more bulbous... a slightly larger version of “THE cotyledon” structure/image you see in MOST seedlings.

These ones are smaller. And SOMEWHAT pointy...

I just KEEP going so you understand the types of things/difficulties to consider when trying to ID plants this young...

Do you NEED an ID now?

Will it change the way you FEEL about the plant? Or it’s care?

I’d just wait. 🤓

This is a game of patience... investments of time, passion,art and manual work rewarding you and teaching you in the process.

If your going to have the seedling for a while... I would just wait for “big-boy(girl) leaves” to ID.

Or search vendor’s seed packets... see what looks like “the same pack”.. and compare pictures of seedlings.. (look University sites for seedling stuff)

...or just wait.

🤓
I dont need to know really now, other than enough to ensure I don’t kill them. I have it under a grow light. I was actually surprised anything grew from the seeds.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know last year there was a bunch of people across the States getting a free pack of seeds in the mail......I wonder if they were bonsai seeds?

Interesting to know, but of little help here I feel, nice to here from you though

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems at least I have learnt a couple of things here,

1. I need to wait as it’s not really possible to identify them from early shoots, which for a genuine newcomer to growing anything I didn’t realise.
2. You never get tired of the array of responses you will get.

So at risk of opening myself up for more, given that I don’t know what they are and the kit didn’t specify the seed contents and I cannot tell you what the seeds looked like as all of them were to tiny for my eyesight to really pick out, and obviously providing water. Is there anything specific I need to know, watch be mindful of in nurturing these little things.

I have them on a grow light with blue, red and white light.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I dont need to know really now, other than enough to ensure I don’t kill them. I have it under a grow light. I was actually surprised anything grew from the seeds.
Ok. Well at THIS time of year, if they END UP being categorized as “temperate plants” you are going to want to keep it indoors and under those lights until danger of frost is gone (you may be there already, i just live in an igloo 🤣) anyways.. so by THAT time, proper identification will be possible.

So my advice is be patient... Drop lights (as long as they are not “Super-Duper Cannabis Panels”)within 12” and maybe utilize window light AND your artificial apparatus. Water when dry, but watch moisture MORE carefully when this young.

My guess would be only a week or two will make ID MUCH easier. Then we can all re-assess.

🤓

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice spoons a little impractical I feel though. I have several guitars though and they would make terrible spoons. Much better played as guitars.
Hehe! The first thing I did, was use the guitar spoons.. to PLAY Dobro/slide guitar (on the acoustic).. THEN plugged in the 7-string... got REAL interesting sound “shape”...I decided AGAINST trying the newly discovered guitar-spoon technique on the Strat.. it’s in bad need of a harmonic work-over. 🤣🤣..

Using guitar-spoons to play spoon guitar?.... groovy!

(Tried it (with HIGH expectations) on the Mandolin.... not impressed AT ALL!)

🤓

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok. Well at THIS time of year, if they END UP being categorized as “temperate plants” you are going to want to keep it indoors and under those lights until danger of frost is gone (you may be there already, i just live in an igloo 🤣) anyways.. so by THAT time, proper identification will be possible.

So my advice is be patient... Drop lights (as long as they are not “Super-Duper Cannabis Panels” within 12” and maybe utilize window light AND your artificial apparatus. Water when dry, but watch moisture MORE carefully when this young.

My guess would be only a week or two will make ID MUCH easier. Then we can all re-assess.

🤓
Yes, I’m in the UK and the last few days have been cold, well for us anyway with temps barely getting above zero. So yes I will keep them in doors and under my grow lights for now. Until this cold, snowy weather has gone at least.

I will just hope I can keep them alive and growing to see what happens.

Thanks for the advice though.

Top Bottom