Any ideas what these seedlings are.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hehe! The first thing I did, was use the guitar spoons.. to PLAY Dobro/slide guitar (on the acoustic).. THEN plugged in the 7-string... got REAL interesting sound “shape”...I decided AGAINST trying the newly discovered guitar-spoon technique on the Strat.. it’s in bad need of a harmonic work-over. 🤣🤣..

Using guitar-spoons to play spoon guitar?.... groovy!

(Tried it (with HIGH expectations) on the Mandolin.... not impressed AT ALL!)

🤓
Wonder if they would sound good on my Banjo, probably not, given the players current skill level......😂

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So at risk of opening myself up for more, given that I don’t know what they are and the kit didn’t specify the seed contents and I cannot tell you what the seeds looked like as all of them were to tiny for my eyesight to really pick out, and obviously providing water. Is there anything specific I need to know, watch be mindful of in nurturing these little things.
DO let the soil dry out SLIGHTLY. Keeping it on the wet side is asking for fungal problems, and fungus gnats. Keep it very bright (You are)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
DO let the soil dry out SLIGHTLY. Keeping it on the wet side is asking for fungal problems, and fungus gnats. Keep it very bright (You are)
This has been the most useful info you have so far.
Most seedlings are treated pretty much the same so no problem without and ID at this stage of the game.

Just water when the soil starts to get dryish.
Some weak fertilizer every month or so.
Get them outside when the weather warms enough.
Get back to us when there are proper leaves to see if that helps with an ID.

Good luck with your little trees. Nobody has yet offered to let you know that growing bonsai from seed is a very, very long and tedious process so be prepared for a 10+ year project.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One seedling survived and is growing......

Attachments

• B38BD4E5-2444-463F-8D64-330E412A7757.jpeg
    B38BD4E5-2444-463F-8D64-330E412A7757.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 95

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it’s now starting to grow a little, I have no idea what I am supposed to do next with it, do I continue to grow it in this seed tray, and for how long, when should I think about putting this outside I’m in the uk so it’s still not warm here as we have not entered spring yet, still getting ground frosts at night and at the moment extremely wet and windy..oh and cold.

Attachments

• 5BEF2D84-27F2-45A5-B3AF-F2971D1954DF.jpeg
    5BEF2D84-27F2-45A5-B3AF-F2971D1954DF.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 82

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it’s growing bigger whatever it is. Could this be Chinese Elm

Attachments

• F809AA86-08A8-4366-986B-DD6E79E9E0DD.jpeg
    F809AA86-08A8-4366-986B-DD6E79E9E0DD.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 3FA5358A-2E14-451D-A202-F1EF73C20A00.jpeg
    3FA5358A-2E14-451D-A202-F1EF73C20A00.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 69

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Posting 2 almost identical photos won't improve chances of ID. The leaves are still quite ambiguous.
You originally mentioned seed was small. How small is 'too small to see'? I can't think of very may trees that have really small seeds and these leaves do not look like any of the ones I can think of.
Any chance there could have been some stray seeds in the soil - compost or some soil component stored outside at any stage?
My best guess from want I can see is rosacea family - hawthorn or apple but given such young leaves could be way off and both have larger seeds. Sill vaguely possible for Chinese elm but as mentioned seeds are usually flat papery and around 5 mm in diameter.

Given the pack was grow your own bonsai that generally limits the choices to just a few species. Definitely not conifer so we can rule out pine and juniper. Chinese elm will be a strong possibility. Zelkova might also be possible from a bonsai seed packet. Does anyone else know what species these packs have?

They will do better outside as soon as frost has finished. Sunlight is good for most plants but as we do not know the species you will need to be conservative. Some are more cold tolerant and others will die with just a little cold. Some love full sun but others prefer filtered light. The species included in bonsai seed packs tend to be hardier types so I would be happy to assume these would be quite cold hardy.

The pots seem to be relatively large so they could be left in these for the whole summer. It is also possible to transplant and root prune at this stage. Just different possibilities. One way is not always better than another, especially right at the start.
You can start to feed little seedlings

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
All information above is SOLID.

Just gotta throw a comment in..

Those leaves are almost definitely ulmus... but Ulmus at this stage’s leaves kind of ALL look like that... I see many American, Siberian and slippery seedlings.. and their leaves look like that.. but THOSE would almost NEVER be in a bonsai “seed pack”

🤓

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Posting 2 almost identical photos won't improve chances of ID. The leaves are still quite ambiguous.
You originally mentioned seed was small. How small is 'too small to see'? I can't think of very may trees that have really small seeds and these leaves do not look like any of the ones I can think of.
Any chance there could have been some stray seeds in the soil - compost or some soil component stored outside at any stage?
My best guess from want I can see is rosacea family - hawthorn or apple but given such young leaves could be way off and both have larger seeds. Sill vaguely possible for Chinese elm but as mentioned seeds are usually flat papery and around 5 mm in diameter.

Given the pack was grow your own bonsai that generally limits the choices to just a few species. Definitely not conifer so we can rule out pine and juniper. Chinese elm will be a strong possibility. Zelkova might also be possible from a bonsai seed packet. Does anyone else know what species these packs have?

They will do better outside as soon as frost has finished. Sunlight is good for most plants but as we do not know the species you will need to be conservative. Some are more cold tolerant and others will die with just a little cold. Some love full sun but others prefer filtered light. The species included in bonsai seed packs tend to be hardier types so I would be happy to assume these would be quite cold hardy.

The pots seem to be relatively large so they could be left in these for the whole summer. It is also possible to transplant and root prune at this stage. Just different possibilities. One way is not always better than another, especially right at the start.
You can start to feed little seedlings
Thanks for the reply,

Quite small is between 1mm - 3mm, most of the them were 1mm and looked round, although hard to tell at that size and black in colour, In fact apart from a few more distinct looking seeds it just looked like a small pinch of ground pepper, but a few were almost flat and disk like with what seemed to be a central disk core of a brown colour with an outer paper like covering. These were the bigger seeds at 3mm but no bigger than that.

The soil is commercially brought potting soil in a sealed bag I brought for the purpose, of course there could have been something already in the soil mix when bagged.

I have searched the internet for any idea of the contents of the pack and found nothing but plenty of adverts for selling them. So I have little to go on. I planted all the seeds in this propagation tray and three shoots appeared, the other two died off after producing the first set of leaves, but this one seems to be growing.

The tray has a clear plastic cover and so in a week,or two when frosts are less likely I will put it outside and see if it continues to grow, pretty sure indoor is not where it wants to be.

I will keep going until we get to a point that an ID is possible.

Top Bottom