Any ideas what these seedlings are.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious on how the mystery seedlings are doing.
Hi

Well it’s still growing

Attachments

• A9E7AC61-7E3D-42B6-A77C-5CCF03F7856E.jpeg
    A9E7AC61-7E3D-42B6-A77C-5CCF03F7856E.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 5C6BEB8D-7317-472D-87AC-630CB369C1A0.jpeg
    5C6BEB8D-7317-472D-87AC-630CB369C1A0.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 65

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good!

He/they want to go outside!!

;)
Agreed, depending on weather outside is good right now.
I’ve had some nice warm few days so I’ve been putting the Adeniums and the Ironwoods outside for a few hours in the afternoon and then bringing them in early evening because it’s still a bit too cold overnight for them.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Agreed, depending on weather outside is good right now.
I’ve had some nice warm few days so I’ve been putting the Adeniums and the Ironwoods outside for a few hours in the afternoon and then bringing them in early evening because it’s still a bit too cold overnight for them.
Niiice!!! No WAY i can bring my guys outside... it still frosts here.. occasionally.

🤓

But if I had Ulmus indoors.. i’d put it outside as soon as it got above 41-42F

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good!

He/they want to go outside!!

;)
Yes I agree and the last couple of days here in the uk have been very nice, but the evenings are still cold. We have snow forecast for Easter Monday so they may have to be indoors a little longer yet

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have snow forecast for Easter Monday so they may have to be indoors a little longer yet
Do you get frost most of the nights still? Or just the incidental day?
In case of just the once off, I would consider getting them used to the outdoors, just sheltering them for the odd frost.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have put my seedling outside today, let’s see how it goes.

Attachments

• 5273D707-815F-46F7-9CB7-B6E54B938DB3.jpeg
    5273D707-815F-46F7-9CB7-B6E54B938DB3.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 56

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think Alder as well.. leaves look just like mine when It started. Alder seeds are also flat and small.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still going strong, still inside as still cold at night here in the uk, want to put it outside, but don’t want to kill it.

still no idea what this actually is

Attachments

• 75FF863D-8067-4EF9-954A-70114F665ED0.jpeg
    75FF863D-8067-4EF9-954A-70114F665ED0.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 41
  • F9FC2F2D-DA47-4A35-9212-C243855665BE.jpeg
    F9FC2F2D-DA47-4A35-9212-C243855665BE.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 42

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Worst case scenario, you will have to wait for the tree to be old enough to flower and produce seed to actually nail down 100% the species identity. Leave shape alone is not "botanically conservative trait", most tree identifications are based on traits of flowers, fruit or seeds, and things like winter bud traits, and the arrangement of xylem bundle marks in the leaf abscission scars of winter twigs. Leaf shapes are fairly variable. So it may take several years. In the mean time, do you want to put the energy into keeping it alive that long?

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s still going

Attachments

• E7433A46-C079-410D-AB6E-ACF5C0E22B95.jpeg
    E7433A46-C079-410D-AB6E-ACF5C0E22B95.jpeg
    270 KB · Views: 40
  • 0F7AA2DE-783E-4EE9-8CC0-26CEF795214A.jpeg
    0F7AA2DE-783E-4EE9-8CC0-26CEF795214A.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 42

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
time for this to go outside now, will the little growing tray it’s in suffice or should it be put in a different pot.

the tray is 10 x 6 inches and 3 inch deep. If it’s going to go outside, should it be in a deeper but smaller pot.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
time for this to go outside now, will the little growing tray it’s in suffice or should it be put in a different pot.

the tray is 10 x 6 inches and 3 inch deep. If it’s going to go outside, should it be in a deeper but smaller pot.
This depends... are you expecting more seedlings to pop?

I, personally, like to get seedlings into their “next” substrate as soon as possible. This is because, normally, the soil I use for germination, is different than the substrate I use for growth/development.

I use a method of “rapid-up-potting”.. using two inch, 6-8oz containers as a “stepping stone”... then to the 3”d X 4”h.. from there i choose whether to KEEP the rapid up-potting “Going” and blow through quart straight to either 8”d gallon-size or 6”h gallon size, or leave it develop in the 3x4s.. (it’s about 50/50 depending on specimen/specie)

The timing regimen is very elaborate and designed to do trays.. and trays... haha..

You are past that optimal window for rapid-Up-potting.. I just wanted to share..

If it were my seedling, and I was comfortable.. and had containers and better soil.. I’d transplant it into quart-sized container, and keep it out of direct sun, and in a bag for 5-7 days..

If I had.. potting-soil-esque substrate, and scratched my head (even slightly) at the “container-size/schedule”-conundrum of a paragraph above.. I’d probably leave it in the tray... it’s got room. ;)

Just don’t let ‘er get too moist..

Water through.. and wait.

🤓

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This depends... are you expecting more seedlings to pop?

I, personally, like to get seedlings into their “next” substrate as soon as possible. This is because, normally, the soil I use for germination, is different than the substrate I use for growth/development.

I use a method of “rapid-up-potting”.. using two inch, 6-8oz containers as a “stepping stone”... then to the 3”d X 4”h.. from there i choose whether to KEEP the rapid up-potting “Going” and blow through quart straight to either 8”d gallon-size or 6”h gallon size, or leave it develop in the 3x4s.. (it’s about 50/50 depending on specimen/specie)

The timing regimen is very elaborate and designed to do trays.. and trays... haha..

You are past that optimal window for rapid-Up-potting.. I just wanted to share..

If it were my seedling, and I was comfortable.. and had containers and better soil.. I’d transplant it into quart-sized container, and keep it out of direct sun, and in a bag for 5-7 days..

If I had.. potting-soil-esque substrate, and scratched my head (even slightly) at the “container-size/schedule”-conundrum of a paragraph above.. I’d probably leave it in the tray... it’s got room. ;)

Just don’t let ‘er get too moist..

Water through.. and wait.

🤓
What is the purpose of the bag ? If it’s to protect the seedling would the clear cover of the tray do the same ?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What is the purpose of the bag ? If it’s to protect the seedling would the clear cover of the tray do the same ?
Ooooh your tray is covered?...

I only recommended covering the foliage IF you’d be disturbing the roots. If you are leaving in the tray, just transition it into direct sunlight slowly.. 1hr first Day, then shade, then 2hrs second day... at 5-6 hours I just let em go..

Actually, the “dome” on your tray would “filter” some light, and potentially speed up this process.

Top Bottom