Any info about Bonsai in Thailand?

IIppon

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

I tried to find here and there some informations about Bonsai in Thailand and instead of old post (2008-2011) I am having hard time to find my answers and more especially as a beginner.

I have few questions if any would answers them I will be greatfull.

- first is about seasons in Thailand for Bonsai, I know that we are in the North Hemisphere but instead of that there's 3 main seasons Cold, Hot and Rainy, even tho the temperature do not change that much the humidity might drop a bit depending on the season.
My question is when would be the best time for repotting and prunning ? It is tricky to answer I know because there is a difference between ficus and Maple for example but overall if I can have a guide line. Should I follow the same guide line as Bonsai repotting and pruning in the Northern emisphere ? Even tho the season are a bit specials.

- secondly does anyone knows a group of foreigners Bonsai club in Thailand and more especially in Bangkok ? I tried to talk with some locals but it is quite hard some thai as I do not speak thai.

- last question is about addresses.
Does anyone has good addresses about Nurseries or/and Bonsai Supplies in Bangkok ?
I went to Chatuckack for sure I have found many small Bonsai shops but I am trying to find a "pre bonsai" nursery. I come from France and there in Europe Garden Centers are huge and there are many choices and some of them offer a pretty good quality of trees. I found one near onnut here but the choice is not phenomenal and hard to find good nearness for example.

To be honest my main question is about foreigners club or association in Thailand where I will be able to have good answers to all of my questions.

Thank you for those who take the time to read and answer 🙏

Ps: some few pics about the species I have: Premna Taiwan, Ficus Ben., deshojo Maple, crassula ovata and Tiger Bark Ficus.

Attachments

• 20210522_131837.jpg
    20210522_131837.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210522_131618.jpg
    20210522_131618.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210522_131606.jpg
    20210522_131606.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210522_131544.jpg
    20210522_131544.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210521_200123.jpg
    20210521_200123.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 48

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello!

I like your trees, and wish you the best of luck —

More folks will be along soon, and hopefully someone with be able to help 😀

IIppon

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello!

I like your trees, and wish you the best of luck —

More folks will be along soon, and hopefully someone with be able to help 😀
Really appreciate thank you 😁 I think there are good to start and good for my condo life ahah
I am trying to find a good piece for a future formal upright soon ^^

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should include Vietnam in your searches for info because it was a French colony with more locals also speaking French and the weather is probably close to Thailand.

IIppon

Sapling
Reaction score
I've done some research about what kind of bonsais we'll suitable for the same kind of climate but yeah I didn't think about comparing seasons with close countries thank for the idea!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you. Stating your location in one post is only useful if everyone reads everything from the beginning.

<<<<< It will show here.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd get in contact with Boon Manakitivipart. He has a study group in Thailand and gets down there as often as he can. From what I understand, there's a lot of knowledge there.

IIppon

Sapling
Reaction score
Oh nice to know ! I've seen a interview of him on bonsaiempire. I'll try to look for this group you talk about

Lannabulls

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+7
Hello everyone !

I tried to find here and there some informations about Bonsai in Thailand and instead of old post (2008-2011) I am having hard time to find my answers and more especially as a beginner.

I have few questions if any would answers them I will be greatfull.

- first is about seasons in Thailand for Bonsai, I know that we are in the North Hemisphere but instead of that there's 3 main seasons Cold, Hot and Rainy, even tho the temperature do not change that much the humidity might drop a bit depending on the season.
My question is when would be the best time for repotting and prunning ? It is tricky to answer I know because there is a difference between ficus and Maple for example but overall if I can have a guide line. Should I follow the same guide line as Bonsai repotting and pruning in the Northern emisphere ? Even tho the season are a bit specials.

- secondly does anyone knows a group of foreigners Bonsai club in Thailand and more especially in Bangkok ? I tried to talk with some locals but it is quite hard some thai as I do not speak thai.

- last question is about addresses.
Does anyone has good addresses about Nurseries or/and Bonsai Supplies in Bangkok ?
I went to Chatuckack for sure I have found many small Bonsai shops but I am trying to find a "pre bonsai" nursery. I come from France and there in Europe Garden Centers are huge and there are many choices and some of them offer a pretty good quality of trees. I found one near onnut here but the choice is not phenomenal and hard to find good nearness for example.

To be honest my main question is about foreigners club or association in Thailand where I will be able to have good answers to all of my questions.

Thank you for those who take the time to read and answer 🙏

Ps: some few pics about the species I have: Premna Taiwan, Ficus Ben., deshojo Maple, crassula ovata and Tiger Bark Ficus.
Hi,
I am italian living in Chiang Mai since 1994.
In atch a photo that shows you in general bonsai care and the 3 main Thai seasons, when to repot, prune, fert.
If you do a little research you find planty of groups, facebook, etc about bonsai and also specific species group too.
Here as exp thai black pine group:

In Bangkok planty of bonsai shops, look at lazada.

In youtube you find planty of videos about bonsai inThailand, of curse language could be a barrier, I have some bonsai species that I dont know even the name in english cause dont exist, species that grow only here and are not exported abroad.
Anyway I am just a beginner, dont expect much from me in terms of thecnical help, I am learning too and language, even after 30 years, is still a barrier.

Attachments

• received_726373434998925.jpeg
    received_726373434998925.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 16

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score

This might be a long shot, but when we went to Thailand we stayed at the Cabochon hotel in the Thong-Lo district of Bangkok, and they have several bonsai on the front porch. All of the staff were fluent in English. They should be able to tell you who maintains the trees for them, and that person might be a good contact for you

I attached some pictures from Google because I did not take any myself

Attachments

• 271a5f8a68ce888424c829f05c5ca452.jpg
    271a5f8a68ce888424c829f05c5ca452.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0169-e1492452839127.jpg
    IMG_0169-e1492452839127.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 12
  • cabochon023mk_mob.jpg
    cabochon023mk_mob.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom