Any leads on good tools?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And just to make sure I mention them in this thread... since October, 2022, we have an affiliate agreement with Wazakura bonsai tools, where if someone buys their product using a link on the site, we get a referral fee. I only agreed to the affiliate program after I had purchased some of their tools on my own dime, and tested them to make sure they were high quality. They have also been very generous providing tools for contests and site awards. So I would definitely check them out if you are looking for high quality Japanese handmade tools. I think they are very reasonably priced for what you get - particularly with free shipping in the US, Canada, and UK.

1708378760954.jpeg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well as a fellow Canadian . Shipping anything from a international destination cost . Has become ridiculous enough . It’s a huge factor for anything , If your like me support those. Support your interests . You only have to go to the bonsai Nut partners link . For Wazukara tools quality Japanese tools . Multiple people here have tried and approved of there quality. And all important they have free shipping to Canada . You reminded me I need to order some . For those that don’t think the shipping is a big deal . 120 $ worth of seeds from Sheffield seeds . New York State . To Ontario Canada . Hard to get much closer USA/ Canada . Shipping 54 $ . It’s just seeds in the mail

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
I do have a definite bias towards Japanese tool making as opposed to Chinese manufacturing.
Fair enough 🙂
I imagine even some of the most serious bonsai practitioners out there who use Japanese tools today may have started out with beginner tools before moving up to higher quality tools. I happen to own a few pairs of $7 shears from Amazon which serve their purpose.
IMO the price entry points of Kaneshin and Wazakura tools seem pretty reasonable. Japanese craftsmanship can’t be denied.
A noteworthy benefit, without knowing all the specifics- AB provides a Lifetime Warranty on hand tools. Do Kaneshin or Wazakura @bonsainut offer a similar service?

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
I own a pair. At 10.5" they are a brute force tool - when no other tool will suffice :) I don't use them often, but they are large enough that any work that would require a larger tool I am going to be using a reciprocating saw.
If brute force is what you get from the tool, then it’s a worthy choice for my purpose.

Yes, gotta have a Sawzall on standby. It has become practically indispensable nowadays. My late Dad spoke Spanish, and he used to refer to his reciprocating saw as the ‘Mil Usos’, which roughly translates to ‘Tool for 1,000 uses’. Now I see why!

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the subject of tools . This advice is more from the automotive . And metal working trade . There are many 1/4 collet die grinders out there . Your basic dermal tool is 1/8 collet so these are the larger heavier duty versions . This is the basic design you want with the extended nose . For clearance and 2 hand operation . And of course multiple quality. Levels and price , this particular one is highly regarded as the best of the lower cost options . Proven to stand up to long use . Yes it’s made in China . But it’s also about 1/3 the cost of a high quality one . And as I said proven performer .

Attachments

• 3593F5BC-A301-44DC-B19A-D2370D67438F.png
    3593F5BC-A301-44DC-B19A-D2370D67438F.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 6

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not to defend the above photos of Yoshiaki but all bonsai tools are 'bendable' on the handles, up to the blade area. They are recommended to cut (NO.16 Masakuni for example) only 1/2 the length of the blade. This means: Don't try to cut a branch that is at more than half the length of the blade. Also the blades are usually heat treated to a 'depth' (meaning they core of the blade is still soft) Also, they definitely can break a blade on a No.16 if you're cutting DEAD wood. It is dry , it is hard and it will chip a blade and possibly BEND the entire handle causing miss alignment at the blade.
I know that yes Masakuni which I used to sell 50yrs ago, is the finest yet I had customers come back from my club and show me "abused" tools. Abused meaning: they ground and pounded the hell out of the tools and destroyed the integrity of them! Never let a unskilled person sharpen your tools. Learn to do it yourself!
PS, the shears all of them, No 1, 2, 28, etc should have a tiny bit of 'play' in the rivit. This means that it is not tight. I had a fellow pound the rivit down so tight you could barely open the shear....he came back and said they were defective! Hah! So he proceeded to 'correct' them.....LOL! What an idiot!

The one thing you need to know: Masakuni and most all fine Japanese brands are High Carbon Steel. Usually something close M7. ( High Speed Cobalt tool steel is M14 and it is harder than the hammer of hell...brittle too!) Bonsainut has an idea here worth considering: Tungsten Carbide surgical shears....don't know their cost but also brittle if dropped.

The blade itself should Rockwell out around 55-58 for High carbon tool steel. Masakuni and others...including J.Roth.
Your fine hunting knife is the same material and hardness.
Stainless is another story altogether! Softer and need of constant sharpening......nice but not that nice...

Further, the No. 16 (style) above that Brian shows is what is known as a mandible cutter. One blade overlaps the other. However I'd like to know if they arrived in this condition or did it simply 'bend'.....and if they did bend, what was the reason? Severe pressure will cause the handles to be distorted causing misalignment of the faces of the blades.
Nuff said.
vance hanna

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fair enough 🙂
I imagine even some of the most serious bonsai practitioners out there who use Japanese tools today may have started out with beginner tools before moving up to higher quality tools. I happen to own a few pairs of $7 shears from Amazon which serve their purpose.
IMO the price entry points of Kaneshin and Wazakura tools seem pretty reasonable. Japanese craftsmanship can’t be denied.
A noteworthy benefit, without knowing all the specifics- AB provides a Lifetime Warranty on hand tools. Do Kaneshin or Wazakura @bonsainut offer a similar service?
Not that I am aware of, but I have not had to return or replace any Japanese made bonsai tools.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a understanding of steel and hardness . Is so what useful. High carbon steel . Can be hardened as Vance says above to be very hard . This is where it gets its very sharp hold a edge . That has no equal . But the harder it is the more brittle . So it can chip and break . Take into consideration the complete tool . Is not necessarily the same hardness . Less hardness adds to more strength . To for example not bend the tool so the edge stays correctly positioned . These are considerations that are emphasized in high end products . Stainless steel by its make up . Is inherently hard steel . ( a big part of cost of manufacturing stuff from stainless is wear on tools shaping it ) but it does not react to heat or induction hardening like carbon steel . So it can not be as hard as carbon steel . But is less brittle for the hardness level it can achieve . And has great wearability . So will stay sharp long . And it’s anti corrosion aspect can’t be ignored . Hope this helps

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are recommended to cut (NO.16 Masakuni for example) only 1/2 the length of the blade.
Good to bring this up. Many people do not seem to be aware. One tool maker even recommends 1/3

Also, they definitely can break a blade on a No.16 if you're cutting DEAD wood. It is dry , it is hard and it will chip a blade and possibly BEND the entire handle causing miss alignment at the blade.
Very important point. I broke a mid-sized japanese-forged concave cutter on a very small very old dead Yew branch

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fair enough 🙂
I am not aware of a lifetime warranty on any tools from any of the Japanese makers. I just checked Wazakura's site, and their warranty covers tool replacement if something is wrong with the tool when you receive it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have nothing but praise for every Kiku tool I've bought from SuperFlyBonsai. I like stainless and even their wire cutters show no damage whatsoever cutting larger gauge wire.
Looks like a few people don't know superfly bonsai closed
1000009894.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Not to defend the above photos of Yoshiaki but all bonsai tools are 'bendable' on the handles, up to the blade area.

(Snip)

Further, the No. 16 (style) above that Brian shows is what is known as a mandible cutter. One blade overlaps the other. However I'd like to know if they arrived in this condition or did it simply 'bend'.....and if they did bend, what was the reason? Severe pressure will cause the handles to be distorted causing misalignment of the faces of the blades.
Nuff said.
vance hanna
All I know is that they bent. They arrived slightly overlapping, and while I expect a lot from my tools, I do understand the limits and this tool is simply trash. If you have had better experiences, that’s good for you, but I won’t buy another Yoshiaki tool. Kaneshin, Masakuni, and Kiku are my go-to brands. I did order a Wazakura wire cutter to replace my Kiku that I’ve had for 30 years and misplaced in the last move. Still hoping they’ll turn up.

Top Bottom