Any leads on good tools?

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
... and I prefer carbon to stainless for my cutting tools for the superior edge.
Kaneshin, order from Kaneshein direct online. Arrive within a week,
I disagree on the stainless, prefer carbon steel for the edge and ease of sharpening. Simple to protect in our wet climate with a light coat of food grade mineral oil after sharpening!
IMO the brand Yoshiaki performs well for the price :) Not sure if stainless steel instead of carbon steel is necessarily an upgrade though.. It'll also be harder to sharpen, though I've never tried to sharpen the only SS cutters I own.
I had no idea carbon steel had a better edge! I was under the impression that stainless was simply superior
You can get tungsten carbide operating room scissors for half the price of the Masakuni scissors. Just saying. When you are done, just toss 'em into the autoclave :)
Excuse my credulous rose coloured glasses, but is this serious? Have you used surgical shears? Is there a downside? Its a killer idea, and they look bad ass! Id assume tungsten carbide is better than steel. Id think surgical supplies are of the highest standard.

There seems to be a strong consensus for Kanshin. If this https://kaneshin.shop2.multilingualcart.com/index_en_jpy_7-161.html is a reputable site, my god are these cheap for quality everyone totes. Kanshin blue steel trimming shears for 4620 yen...

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
stainless was simply superior
Stainless steel is softer so it is much more difficult to create a perfect edge. Stainless is just stainless really, whereas a good quality hardened steel will always provide better longevity if looked after properly.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Stainless steel is softer so it is much more difficult to create a perfect edge. Stainless is just stainless really, whereas a good quality hardened steel will always provide better longevity if looked after properly.
thank you so much for teaching me this! so preserve steel, do you oil each time or only now and then?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Excuse my credulous rose coloured glasses, but is this serious? Have you used surgical shears? Is there a downside? Its a killer idea, and they look bad ass! Id assume tungsten carbide is better than steel. Id think surgical supplies are of the highest standard.
There is no downside... except we are talking one very specific tool out of an entire set. If you want razor sharp scissors... in fact perhaps sharper than a razor... surgical scissors are the way to go. Too bad they don't make surgical concave cutters :)

Tungsten carbide is very hard and very dense, so it can be sharpened to a very fine edge and will hold its edge longer than almost every alternative. However the downside is that they are quite brittle. If you drop them they may not survive a fall that an ordinary pair of bonsai scissors will survive.

I am a proponent for using alternatives when it makes sense. For example, I now use titanium chop sticks in my kit since they outperform stainless and bamboo... and so what if they are sold at sushi outlets instead of bonsai retailers?

That said... there are specific bonsai tools I cannot live without, and for which there aren't alternatives. Concave cutters, etc. And not going to lie... even though surgical scissors are extremely sharp, I have bonsai scissors that I use because I like the heft and the handles and the fact that I can stick them into dirt and not wince. But years ago I bought a pair of Masakuni bud scissors and paid a decent price... and they aren't as sharp as my surgical scissors.

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There is no downside... except we are talking one very specific tool out of an entire set. If you want razor sharp scissors... in fact perhaps sharper than a razor... surgical scissors are the way to go. Too bad they don't make surgical concave cutters :)

Tungsten carbide is very hard and very dense, so it can be sharpened to a very fine edge and will hold its edge longer than almost every alternative. However the downside is that they are quite brittle. If you drop them they may not survive a fall that an ordinary pair of bonsai scissors will survive.

I am a proponent for using alternatives when it makes sense. For example, I now use titanium chop sticks in my kit since they outperform stainless and bamboo... and so what if they are sold at sushi outlets instead of bonsai retailers?

That said... there are specific bonsai tools I cannot live without, and for which there aren't alternatives. Concave cutters, etc. And not going to lie... even though surgical scissors are extremely sharp, I have bonsai scissors that I use because I like the heft and the handles and the fact that I can stick them into dirt and not wince. But years ago I bought a pair of Masakuni bud scissors and paid a decent price... and they aren't as sharp as my surgical scissors.
Aaaaaamazing! I'll seriously look into the surgical pair. You'd think surgeons would use a something like a concave cutter to remove... branching bone spurs??...
I was thinking of getting a metal chop stick, but I haven't because the both ends of a chopstick don't seem to give that pushing directional edge that you can cut into bamboo. Do you find that this doesn't stop you from achieving the same results?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
thank you so much for teaching me this! so preserve steel, do you oil each time or only now and then?
I think it‘s different for different people, but just being kept clean and dry is a great way to preserve them wth nothing else done. I rarely, if ever, oil tools. It is probably a good idea to a degree, but in a workshop environment oil is a wood finishers nightmare (unless that is the finish) so simply keeping them clean, dry and sharp is the key to a long life.

Saying that, I did inherit a couple of saws which have only ever been kept in oil soaked hessian, when not in use and they are pristine still, 50 years later.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Aaaaaamazing! I'll seriously look into the surgical pair. You'd think surgeons would use a something like a concave cutter to remove... branching bone spurs??...
I was thinking of getting a metal chop stick, but I haven't because the both ends of a chopstick don't seem to give that pushing directional edge that you can cut into bamboo. Do you find that this doesn't stop you from achieving the same results?
I use my chopsticks primarily when repotting, at which point they are subject to tons of abuse. I don't want them to be sharp, but dull (so they don't damage roots). However they can't bend. I have bent and broken plenty of bamboo chopsticks in my day, and even stainless bends too easily for me, but titanium is both light-weight and rigid. And surprisingly cheap... if you buy them for sushi.

Two sizes for the sushi finatic!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have a tiny curved surgical scissor for fine trimming work in tiny spaces

Yup, that is their own storefront. Very helpfull too, if you are uncertain what to get.
Does anyone know how often a general surgeon replaces their scissors? They don't have them sharpened, or do they? I know a general surgeon and wonder if they just recycle them? If they just kind of toss them I'd ask him for an old pair.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Masakuni stainless steel scissors cost $299 US.

...or you could buy five pair of these:

American Bonsai Pro Scissors

Maybe I am unique in this respect, but I am too hard on my tools to spend $300 on each. I have never handled the Masakuni scissors, so I cannot review them. However the American Bonsai scissors are great, I own two pair, and they work for me. I struggle with anyone charging $300 for a hand tool. Would you pay $300 for a pair of needle-nosed pliers?

You want sharp scissors?
I will say, I bought these exact scissors and other tools from American Bonsai based on the recommendations I have seen you make in other threads. For me, they have been just okay. Two of my tools I had to return for warranty, which they did honor, albeit, I did have to pay for shipping. I like the scissors a lot, but sometimes the "stoppers" that stick out near the loops can give you a gnarley pinch. There was a bit of a learning curve before I stopped wrecking my hands on accident. Now I love them.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will say, I bought these exact scissors and other tools from American Bonsai based on the recommendations I have seen you make in other threads. For me, they have been just okay. Two of my tools I had to return for warranty, which they did honor, albeit, I did have to pay for shipping. I like the scissors a lot, but sometimes the "stoppers" that stick out near the loops can give you a gnarley pinch. There was a bit of a learning curve before I stopped wrecking my hands on accident. Now I love them.
I have never had to return any of their tools, so I'm sorry if my recommendation led you astray. Hopefully the second round is performing satisfactorily!

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have never had to return any of their tools, so I'm sorry if my recommendation led you astray. Hopefully the second round is performing satisfactorily!
I definitely don't mean to say you lead me astray, I really appreciate all the advice you and others give on these boards. Just my two cents, and yes, since they replaced the tools, no issues! I have gotten some compliments on them as well, which I'm sure is worth something 😅

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have nothing but praise for every Kiku tool I've bought from SuperFlyBonsai. I like stainless and even their wire cutters show no damage whatsoever cutting larger gauge wire.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these?

Considering I own a pair of SS branch cutters from AB that have been nothing short of solid, I may give these a try and use them primarily for cutting back large roots. Thoughts?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone tried these?

Considering I own a pair of SS branch cutters from AB that have been nothing short of solid, I may give these a try and use them primarily for cutting back large roots. Thoughts?
I have not used the ABS product, but can vouch for the tool design and function. I have all four sizes of Kaneshein. They are very useful, one of the most used tools in my kit. I tend to work with a wide variety of trees both developed and collected. For my purposes the two larger sizes get the most use. I prefer the blue steel as opposed to stainless. Just a preference for sharpening.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, Frank.
I have caught on to similar sentiments here regarding blue steel > stainless, with regard to sharpening and ‘holding an edge’ better. This would be my first pair of root cutters, specifically for the purpose of making bonsai, mostly from field-grown material. I think larger cutters would be the best option for my situation- great to hear the Kaneshin line has worked for you.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, Frank.
I have caught on to similar sentiments here regarding blue steel > stainless, with regard to sharpening and ‘holding an edge’ better. This would be my first pair of root cutters, specifically for the purpose of making bonsai, mostly from field-grown material. I think larger cutters would be the best option for my situation- great to hear the Kaneshin line has worked for you.
I do have a definite bias towards Japanese tool making as opposed to Chinese manufacturing. Feel the same way about German engineering for automobiles. Tough to vote against life's experiences. My latest tool purchases were Japanese cutters for my HCT - 30 carving tool. Got a deal from the vendor at Kokufu last week. Also picked up a stainless steel trowel from Kaneshin. One of the little ones for tamping the soil after repotting.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Has anyone tried these?

I own a pair. At 10.5" they are a brute force tool - when no other tool will suffice :) I don't use them often, but they are large enough that any work that would require a larger tool I am going to be using a reciprocating saw.

Top Bottom