Any Mainers? Heading your way and looking for yamadori.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Getting ready to take a trip up to Baxter State Park in Maine. Going to be in the area for a few weeks, we rented a camp on a lake up there. Wondering what species you guys have up there that make good bonsai. I'm bringing my yamadori collecting tools and am going to have endless days of time to hike around looking. Just want to know what you guys are collecting up that way.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Larch but it's a little late to be digging them, hornbeam too most are already leafed out now though., But I'm about and 3hrs south of Baxter so you might get lucky. the candles on scots are extending nicely you can prob still dig them with a good success rate, and the junipers just stated showing green tips. We have jack and pitch pine too but I've come up short in all my ventures for them so far. Good luck sounds fun. I wish I diddnt have too many trees already, I'd tag along and help you hunt

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Larch but it's a little late to be digging them, hornbeam too most are already leafed out now though., But I'm about and 3hrs south of Baxter so you might get lucky. the candles on scots are extending nicely you can prob still dig them with a good success rate, and the junipers just stated showing green tips. We have jack and pitch pine too but I've come up short in all my ventures for them so far. Good luck sounds fun. I wish I diddnt have too many trees already, I'd tag along and help you hunt

It's prohibited to export larch from Maine according to the department of agriculture. That was one of the first things on my list I wanted to get until the Dept. of Ag said no. :(

That's why I wanted to find out what else I could look for. I doubt I'll find scots pine in the woods up there as they are not native, but I would be interested in seeing what a Jack Pine and Pitch Pine look like as a bonsai. Google was of little help.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lots of spruce, fir and hemlock in Maine. I would be looking for some nice hemlock. Jealous of your trip. Baxter is on my short list for big, native brook trout.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
It's prohibited to export larch from Maine according to the department of agriculture. That was one of the first things on my list I wanted to get until the Dept. of Ag said no. :(

That's why I wanted to find out what else I could look for. I doubt I'll find scots pine in the woods up there as they are not native, but I would be interested in seeing what a Jack Pine and Pitch Pine look like as a bonsai. Google was of little help.
Scots is not native but it's spread everywhere. You can find them all over the sides of the roads and in the ditches. They were planted decades ago and have gone rogue. There's small ones everywhere. If you pass topsham on i295 just poke around the on and off ramps. There were too many for me to dig. And pisser about the larch... I'd get some anyways, leave em with me let em recover and that might be a loophole around exportation. I know a nursery in Massachusetts gets all thier larch from Maine

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Lots of spruce, fir and hemlock in Maine. I would be looking for some nice hemlock. Jealous of your trip. Baxter is on my short list for big, native brook trout.

Our guide said that a place the locals call Sandy Stream up near Baxter has the best trout fishing in the entire state. A closely guarded secret by the locals, but the guide we're hiring is a local.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Scots is not native but it's spread everywhere. You can find them all over the sides of the roads and in the ditches. They were planted decades ago and have gone rogue. There's small ones everywhere. If you pass topsham on i295 just poke around the on and off ramps. There were too many for me to dig. And pisser about the larch... I'd get some anyways, leave em with me let em recover and that might be a loophole around exportation. I know a nursery in Massachusetts gets all their larch from Maine

It's a 2 year mandatory quarantine to export them from the state. They need to be inspected by the Dept. of Ag. and certified to be free of some sort of a adelgid pest. If I found some, you would have to be able to house them for two years before I could come get them back. It was like getting kicked in the giggle berries finding out I was going to Maine and could not bring back any larch. I'll keep an eye out for the scots pine on the way up, or more likely on the way home so they will be the last ones harvested and first ones in proper soil when we get home. I am renting an 8x12 trailer, and will have 3 weeks in the woods. I'm hoping to fill the trailer with Yamadori before heading home.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
It's a 2 year mandatory quarantine to export them from the state. They need to be inspected by the Dept. of Ag. and certified to be free of some sort of a adelgid pest. If I found some, you would have to be able to house them for two years before I could come get them back. It was like getting kicked in the giggle berries finding out I was going to Maine and could not bring back any larch. I'll keep an eye out for the scots pine on the way up, or more likely on the way home so they will be the last ones harvested and first ones in proper soil when we get home. I am renting an 8x12 trailer, and will have 3 weeks in the woods. I'm hoping to fill the trailer with Yamadori before heading home.
Sounds like an awesome time. Perhaps I'll meet you for a dig if our schedules line up. Haha

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
@Soldano666

Have you ever tried to bonsai a Red Pine up there? I e-mailed the guide were hiring when we get up there with some pics of "yamadori" and the type of terrain we have found good stock in before and he sent me back some pics of a tree he came across today growing out of a boulder and said it was a red pine. Looks like an interesting tree, just never seen much about people bonsai'ing an eastern red pine before. with as much time as i spend online looking at trees, something tells me that there must be a reason i haven't seen one yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20170528_153222.jpg
    IMG_20170528_153222.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20170528_153229.jpg
    IMG_20170528_153229.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170528_153232.jpg
    IMG_20170528_153232.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20170528_153235.jpg
    IMG_20170528_153235.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170528_153236.jpg
    IMG_20170528_153236.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20170528_153241.jpg
    IMG_20170528_153241.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 25

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
@Soldano666

Have you ever tried to bonsai a Red Pine up there? I e-mailed the guide were hiring when we get up there with some pics of "yamadori" and the type of terrain we have found good stock in before and he sent me back some pics of a tree he came across today growing out of a boulder and said it was a red pine. Looks like an interesting tree, just never seen much about people bonsai'ing an eastern red pine before. with as much time as i spend online looking at trees, something tells me that there must be a reason i haven't seen one yet.
Looks like scots to me. Or I've been fooled into thinking all the ones I've found are scots. I'll have to dig around the webs on red pine and do some research. That bark screams scots to me tho.

Joe Shmo

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks like scots to me. Or I've been fooled into thinking all the ones I've found are scots. I'll have to dig around the webs on red pine and do some research. That bark screams scots to me tho.

He is a Maine certified Forrester. Been running around the woods up there for over 40 years it said in his profile. If he tells me its a red pine, i'm inclined to believe him. None the less, i have never seen an eastern red pine bonsai, so i was wondering if there was a reason for that, or if you have seen them up in your neck of the woods used as bonsai. Short of the Larch which i cannot get, and the hemlock eastern hemlock which i have read can be done but seem to be a huge pain to work with, it seems i may end up coming home empty handed from the baxter region. No pitch pine, scots pine, or jack pine in the region anymore i've been told. Red pine, white pine, beech, chokecherry and black cherry seem to dominate the woods up in that area i have been informed. With red pine being the dominant species due to heavy timber cutting for decades in the region.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
It seems I may have collected a bunch of these red pines. I'll have to check tomorrow and see if the needles snap when bent. That's the deciding factor from what I have read. Either way I've collected them and I guess we'll see if I can get any back budding and start its journey on the bonsai bench. I felt like the needles were a lil long for scots.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'ma descent explosion away from route three north in nh....shoulda' extended @Soldano666 an invite long ago, but akways welcomed to solicite such a visit, just pm.

@Joe Shmo too..but fix your profile to indicate your from Ohoi( I believe) make people more likely from your area to reply.

I've been drinking.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::D:p:cool::eek::oops::(:):mad::mad::mad::oops::rolleyes:o_O:p

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I'ma descent explosion away from route three north in nh....shoulda' extended @Soldano666 an invite long ago, but akways welcomed to solicite such a visit, just pm.

@Joe Shmo too..but fix your profile to indicate your from Ohoi( I believe) make people more likely from your area to reply.

I've been drinking.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::D:p:cool::eek::oops::(:):mad::mad::mad::oops::rolleyes:o_O:p
we should have hooked up at the bonsai west open house. I stopped in for a few but left empty handed. My benches are already over capacity... Plus all he has that I want is larch and I've already plucked the good ones.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
He is a Maine certified Forrester. Been running around the woods up there for over 40 years it said in his profile. If he tells me its a red pine, i'm inclined to believe him. None the less, i have never seen an eastern red pine bonsai, so i was wondering if there was a reason for that, or if you have seen them up in your neck of the woods used as bonsai. Short of the Larch which i cannot get, and the hemlock eastern hemlock which i have read can be done but seem to be a huge pain to work with, it seems i may end up coming home empty handed from the baxter region. No pitch pine, scots pine, or jack pine in the region anymore i've been told. Red pine, white pine, beech, chokecherry and black cherry seem to dominate the woods up in that area i have been informed. With red pine being the dominant species due to heavy timber cutting for decades in the region.

Who said hemlock is a pain to work with? Just curious.

Top Bottom