Any oak experts?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
mI started this one from seed which I found on the lawn at the Melbourne Botanic Gardens more than thirty years ago.
The new new shoots in spring are completely white. Covered in a thick down. They have a pink tinge to the as well. As the leaves mature they slowly lose much of this down but as you can see the new leaves are still quite felty. I have not been able to identify it. For all know it could even be some kind of hybrid??
Any ideas?

P1110697.JPG

P1110696.JPG

P1110698.JPG

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No idea... But nice bark.
30 years in a pot? Did you ever grown grow or use large boxes?

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice oak, all I can tell is that it is in the white oak family. The rounded lobes on the leaves are a tell tale sign it is a white oak. Red and black oaks have pointed lobes with pointed stiff hairs at the tip of the lobe.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree. Good work;). Shape of leaves looks much like Oregon White Oak Q. garryana.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
It's a good looking tree. Been wanting to pick up a deciduous oak myself.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a good looking tree. Been wanting to pick up a deciduous oak myself.

How about Quercus lobata, the Valley Oak? I was up in Ojai and they have some amazing old ones with great branching. They also seem to have pretty small leaves, but I don’t know how they do in a container.

Attachments

• C8F379F2-ADFE-4127-98E4-7D1050EFD22D.jpeg
    C8F379F2-ADFE-4127-98E4-7D1050EFD22D.jpeg
    588.5 KB · Views: 8

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
How about Quercus lobata, the Valley Oak? I was up in Ojai and they have some amazing old ones with great branching. They also seem to have pretty small leaves, but I don’t know how they do in a container.
These are definitely used for bonsai but I've only seen 1 or 2 in person.

If I have extra dough laying around and see a deal I won't hesitate to grab one. When I settle down somewhere I'll definitely start some from acorns for fun.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Possibly Quercus pubescens. I have 2 and they are similar. Also Quercus cerris comes to mind, and there are hybrids between pubescens and cerris.

Top Bottom