Any potential for a literati oak?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A canopy like this one is almost exactly what I was envisioning on this oak.
Capture+_2019-12-11-19-57-13.png

Thanks for sharing that @Deep Sea Diver .

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Thanks for sharing @Deep Sea Diver @sorce

I have found these other two online what I was going to use as inspiration

I'm really liking the style now, just got to put the health of the tree first since its recently collected.

Also its about 28/30cm from the base to the third branch on my oak.

Attachments

• Oakstyle1.jpg
    Oakstyle1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Oakstyle2.jpg
    Oakstyle2.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Oakstyle3.jpg
    Oakstyle3.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
So after having a closer look at my oak, I noticed one of the branches on the right can be brought down with almost no effort and I really like the leaning over effect it gives the tree. (not so deciduous looking)

I realize the branch spacing might be a little too far apart but its only a loose design to leave space for new growth as it will be a few years before I act on these designs.

I have moved a branch in place for a potential graft in the future on the back branch (marked in red) and in white I have marked a potential deadwood design.
I could go a bit higher with the deadwood part also.

Any feedback is welcome :)

Attachments

• springoak1.jpeg
    springoak1.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 32
  • springoak2.jpeg
    springoak2.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Inkedspringoak5_LI.jpg
    Inkedspringoak5_LI.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 32
  • InkedInkedspringoak5_LI.jpg
    InkedInkedspringoak5_LI.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 34
  • springoak3.jpeg
    springoak3.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 34

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dig it.

I think it can be left to grow this way until this branch is the same size as the trunk.

Then near the end, it stripped and or branches start being selected.

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this is one of mine. it doesnt look like this today though
oakstyle1-jpg.274099

IMG_2255 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2961 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So after having a closer look at my oak, I noticed one of the branches on the right can be brought down with almost no effort and I really like the leaning over effect it gives the tree. (not so deciduous looking)

I realize the branch spacing might be a little too far apart but its only a loose design to leave space for new growth as it will be a few years before I act on these designs.

I have moved a branch in place for a potential graft in the future on the back branch (marked in red) and in white I have marked a potential deadwood design.
I could go a bit higher with the deadwood part also.

Any feedback is welcome :)
I don't think you can get there from here. Post #63 has a list of characteristics that are necessary or absolutely required, depending upon your own standards, to create one. Not on the list is, "default style of a tree without any other obvious design possibilities."

The tree is a little tall for most options, but a tall broom is on the list. I would even suggest something that I never have before, ever, a chop. I have no idea of when you should do that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
this is one of mine. it doesnt look like this today though
oakstyle1-jpg.274099

IMG_2255 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2961 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

I'm glad you didn't take off the lower branch, I really don't like the look of long trunk broom styles when they don't have a branch a little lower.. that's my problem with my oak.

Making a tall broom style with the main three branches would just look ugly to me, my idea is to 'appreciate' my tree in winter with some brown leaves as I feel that would be the best time for a literati vibe as the health of the tree would look some what diminished.

I wouldn't go for a normal pad style like a pine but a structure like bobby's oak when it comes to the secondary and tertiary branches, wild looking

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
@Forsoothe! I had a read through your post. Totally agree "default style of a tree without any other obvious design possibilities" should be in there.

Saying that.. just like deciduous trees aren't traditionally used I don't think I will stick to the traditional requirements people search for in a literati.

I'm mainly just interested in seeing how the tree will develop after I impose a some what radical style (literati), its the only design what really calls out to me for this tree so far.
I'm trying to block out the imagine of it being turned into a tall broom .

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who gives a rip about "tradition"? Where I hike have seen at least 6 pretty good natural Literati Oaks Quercus garryanna. Obviously not destroyed by savannah like conditions. From their inspiration am developing two of them :confused: .

Top Bottom