Any reliable guides on getting started with using power tools for carving and enhancing deadwood?

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know of a guide or a book or a series of videos I can read/watch that at least gives a primer on the use of rotary tools/die grinders for the creation and enhancement of deadwood? More specifically, I want to know things like how to handle the tool, what the different bits do, what the different shapes of the same type of bit do differently, what the differing coarsenesses of the abrasive bits do differently, etc.

Also, how do you practice using these things without cutting into a tree that means something to you? Would going to town on a piece of 2x4 offer any sort of educational value on handling the tool and learning what the different bit shapes do or do I need to brutally murder even more 1 gallon procumbens in the name of the learning? Because I’ll do it.

I can’t seem to find any quality learning material anywhere on the internet, and while I haven’t exactly dove into François Jeker’s book, I eagerly skipped to the part where he discusses tools after it arrived in the mail yesterday, only to be met with disappointment at the overwhelming lack of useful (or usable) information.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven’t exactly dove into François Jeker’s book, I eagerly skipped to the part where he discusses tools after it arrived in the mail yesterday, only to be met with disappointment at the overwhelming lack of useful (or usable) information.
The approach in Jeker's book is more holistic. It deserves to be read cover to cover.

electraus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The approach in Jeker's book is more holistic. It deserves to be read cover to cover.
Yeah, I definitely intend to. I’ve just been itching to learn how to use the dremel tool I found at a garage sale so I guess I was initially hoping for a book that I could refer to as needed. Started to actually read it last night and have continued this morning. It definitely is the treasure trove of information it was made out to be.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a guide or a book or a series of videos I can read/watch that at least gives a primer on the use of rotary tools/die grinders for the creation and enhancement of deadwood? More specifically, I want to know things like how to handle the tool, what the different bits do, what the different shapes of the same type of bit do differently, what the differing coarsenesses of the abrasive bits do differently, etc.

Also, how do you practice using these things without cutting into a tree that means something to you? Would going to town on a piece of 2x4 offer any sort of educational value on handling the tool and learning what the different bit shapes do or do I need to brutally murder even more 1 gallon procumbens in the name of the learning? Because I’ll do it.

I can’t seem to find any quality learning material anywhere on the internet, and while I haven’t exactly dove into François Jeker’s book, I eagerly skipped to the part where he discusses tools after it arrived in the mail yesterday, only to be met with disappointment at the overwhelming lack of useful (or usable) information.
Tons of resources on YT, hours upon hours of carving demonstration, much better than a book. both Potter and Wilson go over which tools they use in a few of the videos.
practice on cheap nursery material.

Top Bottom