Any runners here?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There have been quite a few "Any insert hobby here?" threads lately so why not start another. Any runners here?

I started running about 5 years ago when my daughter's school was having a 5K race as a fund raiser. My wife signed me up. I had not run since high school. I finished but I did realize how out of shape I was. It made me decided that I needed to do something about it.

Over the last couple of years I've run on and off with no real regularity. I did a couple of 5Ks here and there but nothing really serious. So, this fall I decided I would get serious. I would do a half marathon. Now a 5K you can fake your way through but a half marathon takes a bit more dedication.

So far I'm doing pretty good. I signed up for a half marathon at the end of April and have been training regularly. I'm up to about 18 miles a week and my long runs are about 7 miles. My milage will peek at about 28 miles a week with long runs up to 12 miles. My goal is to finish in 2:30. If I can maintain the pace I've had in my long runs the goal is within reach but I will see come race day.

I'll bring this back around to bonsai. Running has given me a lot of time to think. At least once I got past the "I feel like I'm going to die" stage. I find myself spending a lot of time planing my work for next season and just thinking of bonsai in general. It is a great time just to look at the world around you. Not to mention a chance to scope out my neighbors yards for night time visits with a shovel.

So after what became a long winded post, any runners here?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love to get out and do trail circuits in the woods beside my place. Unfortunately like so many things we love to do, we don't always make time for it. I definitely prefer trail running over streets. Good luck training!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I was a runner most of my life. I've done dozens of marathons and about a dozen ultras up to 50 miles. Trail running with my dog was my favorite. Six years ago when I was sixty I got plantar fasciitis so bad that I had to quit but have missed it every day. Cycling just isn't the same. As a result I porked on over 50 pounds in the last six years and of course the weight didn't help my foot issues. So, last fall I started the keto diet, eliminating carbs from my diet, and have lost all the weight. My feet are better and I'm slowly starting to run again. Hope to do a few more marathons before I hit 70!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really don't get much opportunity to do any trail running. I have to shoehorn my running in so most of my running is from my front door. I would prefer to be out in the woods but there's still opportunities to appreciate the world around you.

PECb9VpUiAQftC0vzNPvCl0IyFeVJySBayyf_BfOPfQ-2048x1152.jpg

O-6Z0IYnD0DK0_YIEKKmFV8jNMBaDcZACz7IXhS_KxI-2048x1152.jpg

Hope to do a few more marathons before I hit 70!

Why stop so young?

World War II Marine, 96, Finishes Marathon With Shot of Scotch

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a beauty weekend in the mountains! Lots of sun, and wind to keep the black flies at bay! I count myself lucky to have a lady who will spend all weekend in the wilderness with me!:)20170611_135157.jpg

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I enjoy a good run. Since I started taking control of my health I have been able to lose about 60lbs. I plan on getting back to it and try to knock off another 40-50lbs.

The longest I have ran was 10 miles. It took 2 hours flat lol ... and my body hasn't been right since then. Not sure why, but my feet hurt like a sumbitch after that run lol

I need better gear and shoes, but I do intend to pick it back up sooner than later.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I need better gear and shoe
I speak from experience, good shoes are essential and specialized for your particular feet and running form. Get fitted at a quality running store, not a big box chain sporting goods or other place, at least the first time. Be sure you replace your shoes when they have 500 miles on them.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I speak from experience, good shoes are essential and specialized for your particular feet and running form. Get fitted at a quality running store, not a big box chain sporting goods or other place, at least the first time. Be sure you replace your shoes when they have 500 miles on them.

THAT'S what I need to find... a good running/ foot store.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
good shoes are essential

Shoes are like tools, there are cheep options out there but you will regret your purchase in the end.

The best is if you can find a small locally owned running shop. You will likely pay a little more but you will get much better service. Most will let you take them for a test run around the block.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I managed to actually stay fairly consistent with my running this year. I've found that I need a goal to work towards. For me it is races. I'm a back of the pack runner but I enjoy it.

So far I've done a 5K a 10K and a Half Marathon this year. I'm signed up for another half in August.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I missed this post up until now. I'm also a runner - although I've been slacking off lately. I have run 3 marathons, several halfs, some 10Ks, etc. My last marathon was March 2016 where I attempted to qualify for Boston. For my age, that meant under 3:25. I peaked at 70 miles per week in training for that race and was in the best shape of my life. With good weather, I had a decent shot at making the time. But...leading up to race day, the forecast was not good. The day turned out to be cold and rainy (which is fine) and windy (which sucks). I had a significant headwind (20 mph) for a large portion of the race and it got me. I hit the wall around the 20 mile mark and slogged home in a time of 3:37. Since then, I've lacked a little motivation and my training has been spotty at best. I've packed on a few lbs, so it's time to hit the roads again.

I would love to qualify and run the Boston Marathon one day, but for now I think I'll just be content to enjoy the running and the health benefits and stop worrying so much about time and training plans. It's kinda like my golf game - I started having a lot more fun playing golf when I stopped worrying about my score. I'll probably train for another marathon but I think I'll just enjoy the race experience this time.

I'll second the advice on shoes. Buy good ones and replace them often. I usually only get 300 - 350 out of mine before they're done.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's an idea. Why don't we runners use this thread to update our training, daily runs, pics from runs - that kind of thing. Let's see how long we can keep it going. Who's in?

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
3 miles in a dry (most times) arroyo every day for last 11 years, here in Tucson. Started in 1971 at 10,000' in Leadville Co. Oh, born in '46 hahaha

Man that is inspirational! 3 miles everyday for the last 11 years?!?!?! :eek:

Here's an idea. Why don't we runners use this thread to update our training, daily runs, pics from runs - that kind of thing. Let's see how long we can keep it going. Who's in?

You guys are the runners... I'm just a fat ass who decided to get off the couch! I need more motivation, advice and tips, still working at getting better. I'm in!!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man that is inspirational! 3 miles everyday for the last 11 years?!?!?! :eek:

You guys are the runners... I'm just a fat ass who decided to get off the couch! I need more motivation, advice and tips, still working at getting better. I'm in!!

If you lace em' up and get out the door on a semi-regular basis, then you're a runner.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think I'll ever qualify for Boston but maybe one day. I'm still trying to break 30 min for a 5K. A managed 30:09 about a month ago.

You have already done the hardest part, "getting your ass off the couch". If you run you are a runner.

One of the hardest things I've learned is to NOT compare myself to other people. I've realized that there will always be people faster than me but there will be people who are slower than me. In the end it doesn't really matter as long as I'm enjoying what I'm doing.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think I'll ever qualify for Boston but maybe one day. I'm still trying to break 30 min for a 5K. A managed 30:09 about a month ago.

You have already done the hardest part, "getting your ass off the couch". If you run you are a runner.

One of the hardest things I've learned is to NOT compare myself to other people. I've realized that there will always be people faster than me but there will be people who are slower than me. In the end it doesn't really matter as long as I'm enjoying what I'm doing.

A lot of people can't break the 10 minute per mile barrier and you're already past that. Are you doing anything in training like tempo runs, intervals, fartleks etc to try to increase speed? During my last marathon training cycle, I really enjoyed doing fartlek runs because they have no structure. Just run fast for a little while and then return to your normal pace. Do that whenever you feel like it for however long you want and how many times you want - just have fun with it. And the cool thing is that it is really effective.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you doing anything in training like tempo runs, intervals, fartleks etc to try to increase speed?

I've been mostly working on endurance for my half marathon up to this point. I have noticed that my "easy" pace is getting faster as my fitness has improved. I've lost about a minute per mile from where I was a year ago and I can maintain it much longer.

Top Bottom