Any Success with American elms?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
American elm, cedar elm, rock elm, Siberian elms all have rough bark, American elm it is a checked "alligator plated" bark. Unlike the smooth bark of Chinese elms and South Africa native species of Celtis.

Takes a couple decades to fully develope, but the rough bark is a positive feature.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grow them elms.
American elms are badass trees.
Like Sorce said grow that trunk fast then ground layer it.
I planted 100 this spring.
They're hardly where I live.
And someone said to get Chinese elm fir leaf size. American elm can reduce leaves down to under 1/2 of an inch.

...maybe bit off topic...Dug one (American Elm) from abandoned lot being reduced to rubble yesterday...retained all of muddy rootball and planted 20 min. later in the ground -in what little is left of an old downed leveled sycamore (rich loose chunky soil), sunny location.

Thing was looking haggard from all the work being done out there..not a whole lot of spotted leaves left...2.5” base...5’-6’ tall...still alive..

Question: potential of survival through winter? Anything I can do to encourage this?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...maybe bit off topic...Dug one (American Elm) from abandoned lot being reduced to rubble yesterday...retained all of muddy rootball and planted 20 min. later in the ground -in what little is left of an old downed leveled sycamore (rich loose chunky soil), sunny location.

Thing was looking haggard from all the work being done out there..not a whole lot of spotted leaves left...2.5” base...5’-6’ tall...still alive..

Question: potential of survival through winter? Anything I can do to encourage this?
Try to keep the roots from freezing is all.
Maybe mulch around it and hope for the best.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Wouldn't be too optimistic if winter is early and long. Might limp through to spring. A 3 inch deep Mulch covering that reaches out a foot beyond the longest root could help a bit.
don't get too attached to it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
American elm, cedar elm, rock elm, Siberian elms all have rough bark, American elm it is a checked "alligator plated" bark. Unlike the smooth bark of Chinese elms and South Africa native species of Celtis.

Takes a couple decades to fully develope, but the rough bark is a positive feature.

Is the celtis related to the elms?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Is the celtis related to the elms?
Yes the genus Celtis includes the hackberries and African white stinkwood.

Celtis is a genus included the order Rosales, Ulmus is in a different family but is also included in the order Rosales. Not very close, but not wildly different. At least in my mind there are a fair number of similarities between the groups. You could use similar bonsai styles for both genera. Hackberries tend to be used as informal upright styles, elms tend to be used as broom style, but you could easily flip it, hackberries could make nice enough broom styles.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes the genus Celtis includes the hackberries and African white stinkwood.

Celtis is a genus included the order Rosales, Ulmus is in a different family but is also included in the order Rosales. Not very close, but not wildly different. At least in my mind there are a fair number of similarities between the groups. You could use similar bonsai styles for both genera. Hackberries tend to be used as informal upright styles, elms tend to be used as broom style, but you could easily flip it, hackberries could make nice enough broom styles.

Thats interesting

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

The moon is good! Try to keeo the roots warm now so they grow!

S

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would be more worried about overwintering than summer. The problem with Joburg is that you guys have really dry frosty winters...... if you overwinter it make sure the roots aren't getting freeze dried.....

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should try some Wit stinkhoud (White Stinkwood) too if you get the chance. It reminds me of the Chinese/ Japanese Hackberry species......and they make lovely bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You should try some Wit stinkhoud (White Stinkwood) too if you get the chance. It reminds me of the Chinese/ Japanese Hackberry species......and they make lovely bonsai.

My Afrikaans is 'n bietjie kuk, maar hier gaan, ek is nie die grootste fan van witstinkhout nie, ek het een en beplan om meer te oes.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My Afrikaans is 'n bietjie kuk, maar hier gaan, ek is nie die grootste fan van witstinkhout nie, ek het een en beplan om meer te oes.
Lol English is fine don't sweat it. Stinkwood takes a while to develop an pruning isn't fun because of the stench.....but it's one of those uniquely African trees that can have a lot of character and has a wider growth pattern than a lot of other African trees.....ie.....not a straight old umbrella shape.....

Just put a clothes peg on your nose when pruning....problem solved

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Lol English is fine don't sweat it. Stinkwood takes a while to develop an pruning isn't fun because of the stench.....but it's one of those uniquely African trees that can have a lot of character and has a wider growth pattern than a lot of other African trees.....ie.....not a straight old umbrella shape.....

Just put a clothes peg on your nose when pruning....problem solved

Is my Afrikaans that bad hahahs

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No no it's good! Hehe others are following this thread too...... So I thought it best to save them from turning to google translate hehehehe

Thats a great point. Its funny i know more people on this site than at home doing bonsai so the chance I get to talk to a South African I go all out

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thats a great point. Its funny i know more people on this site than at home doing bonsai so the chance I get to talk to a South African I go all out
Fair enough dit is lekker om Afrikaans te praat!
We need photos man....dont tell us about your grand plans without photos.

Top Bottom