Any Success with American elms?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be more worried about overwintering than summer. The problem with Joburg is that you guys have really dry frosty winters...... if you overwinter it make sure the roots aren't getting freeze dried.....
Don't know what the concern is with freezing weather. American Elm is quite winter hardy and sturdy in hot weather too. It is hardy in USDA Zone 3-9. Zone 3 temps can reach down into the subzero Fahrenheit range-- 0 F is about is -18 C... Advice to make sure roots don't go dry is good. Dry roots aren't good for any elm at any time. Trick in overwintering is making sure the roots stay moist, but not soggy.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't know what the concern is with freezing weather. American Elm is quite winter hardy and sturdy in hot weather too. It is hardy in USDA Zone 3-9. Zone 3 temps can reach down into the subzero Fahrenheit range-- 0 F is about is -18 C... Advice to make sure roots don't go dry is good. Dry roots aren't good for any elm at any time. Trick in overwintering is making sure the roots stay moist, but not soggy.
@rockm you are of course one hundred percent correct about cold hardy. Joburg however has seriously dry winters and the moisture gets sucked right out of everything...... my grandpa used to water the garden more in winter than summer some years. My concern is that dryness which I doubt will be appreciated..... by any elm ? So rather than the actual cold I was talking about the unique and nasty blend of weather conditions....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@rockm you are of course one hundred percent correct about cold hardy. Joburg however has seriously dry winters and the moisture gets sucked right out of everything...... my grandpa used to water the garden more in winter than summer some years. My concern is that dryness which I doubt will be appreciated..... by any elm ? So rather than the actual cold I was talking about the unique and nasty blend of weather conditions....

At the moment I am actually based in Harties

Seems less dry

Last edited:

laluna

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a lot of American Elms in pots. They are all over my back yard. The ones in pots are from 3 to 7 years old. The mother tree in my back yard is over 50 years old. These specimens live over 100 years old. They are very hardy and they can tolerate any type of soil.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had just shared this SOMEWHAT remarkable story on a different thread recently.

This covers MY personal feelings about the OP’s “title question”

Post #414

laluna

Seedling
Reaction score
Im looking to grow some from seeds, any advice?
I have a lot of American Elms in pots. They are all over my back yard. The ones in pots are from 3 to 7 years old. The mother tree in my back yard is over 50 years old. These specimens live over 100 years old. They are very hardy and they can tolerate any type of soil.
Sorry because I receive emails and don't know who they are from. The question was how tall are my American Elms. I have them ranging from 12 to 20 inches from the top of the pot. Again, I'm new here so forgive me if I make errors in posting.

Top Bottom