Any Suggestion for the bonsai style for my pine

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What will be the best shape or style for my pinus roxburghii training as bonsai ?

Attachments

• IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 78

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Look at weeping willows. Also look at photos of Tamarisk bonsai. An informal upright with weeping foliage.

Pinus roxburghii will never have short needles. So visually plan on each needle representing drooping branch with drooping foliage. A loose open style, allowing room for the needles to droop would be my suggestion. This is a difficult style to pull off in a convincing manner.

If you love pine bonsai, try a pine with shorter needles. If your area is too tropical for Japanese black pines, try Pinus radiata as a ''tropical'' pine. P. radiata is not a true tropical, but it has been used in timber plantations in equatorial regions, it will thrive without any ''cold winter rest''.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you're in a hot region, pinus halepensis would work too.

Not sure about the specimen above. It's like a strobus.. Hard to work with, too hard maybe?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pinus roxburghii is a low elevation 5 needle pine from areas that include parts of Pakistan, it is replaced by other 5 needle pines at higher elevations. It is more or less related to Japanese White pine and Eastern white pine, P strobus. I have never seen a Pinus roxburghii live and in person, so I would only be speculating as to what one would do when training it. Its needles are much longer than P. strobus, much like our North American native longleaf pines. I have seen a couple long leaf pines, P. palustris styled as bonsai, and thinking of them like weeping willows or maybe a "grass tree", is a better way to handle the long needles than trying to force a classical Japanese white pine look to the tree. Pines with very long needles are difficult to train as bonsai. But there is no reason to not try and be creative. The problems will not be exactly like P. strobus, because it is a very different tree than P. strobus.

I did notice in the OP's photo that the bark looked fairly rough. The rough bark on a young tree and the long needles immediately made me think of Long Leaf Pine, P. palustris. Which I have seen in person. Hence my thoughts on style.

The original poster is in ''terra incognita'' in that I believe he may be the first to attempt to work with Pinus roxburghii. Well, at least this is the first time I have encountered P. roxburghii, so I say go for it, take pictures, post yearly updates to let us see how it works out.

Last edited:

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions. This pine is very common in our sub tropical climate. I live in region 9b to 10 USDA, so its pretty hot here and growing pine is a bit challenge yet this specie grows with its beautiful color. I had experimented with some small Pine of this species and successfully attained a technique to reduce the needle size which i will post later. I had fertilize it with strong nitrogen for vigorous growth which results in long needles. Usually it takes more time to grow long needles on this species. I was more curious about the style which i will work on it. Any ways thank you so much.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please put location in profile so help is best directed your way. Chir Pine has unique property with Canary Island pine of barking up quickly and thickly and at least this one is not straight boring trunk:cool:. Suggest will need big tree first off. Have ideas to style but can't do virtual representation for you. Once reaching "adult" size and in grown up pot confining roots should be able to reduce needle length some amount. Suggest removing straight branch going upward from big elbow;). May suggest some future direction for you?

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Please put location in profile so help is best directed your way. Chir Pine has unique property with Canary Island pine of barking up quickly and thickly and at least this one is not straight boring trunk:cool:. Suggest will need big tree first off. Have ideas to style but can't do virtual representation for you. Once reaching "adult" size and in grown up pot confining roots should be able to reduce needle length some amount. Suggest removing straight branch going upward from big elbow;). May suggest some future direction for you?

I live in Islambad, Pakistan. These pines are in abundant here, just decided to give it a try.

Top Bottom