Any thoughts on this elm.....

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I probably would have. But there is always the balnce between what you want, and what is possible with the plant at hand. I donot have it in front of me.
Now the game is to push growth => root development. And deally in sprink you have smoe new roots to cut back too. Else in 2 years.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I think this tree is set up to make an amazing perineef style african acacia looking tree with some training , honestly one of my favorite styles of tree in this world,

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Update
Well it’s been three months since I twisted up the roots and added more soil. I dug out today and I’m super excited that there are tons of little roots coming from everywhere. Obviously not going to do anything with it this season but wondering when a good time to chop old roots would be? Can I do it as early as next spring? With an elm is it important to seal up the cuts from removing roots?
Thanks!
@leatherback
743CD349-A8D3-43D4-8E20-7D327DBF7BEB.jpeg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes you can cut back in spring if they are vigorous. No cut paste on roots. Just keep fertilizing it heavy through end of fall.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you tell of the tourniquet actually helped the Roots?
Or are those roots coming from elsewhere?

It's hard to tell.

I don't know that tourniquetting is a must, although it does give you a good place to cut back to.... if it truly worked of course.

I've been getting roots to grow out of cut pasted spots on a ficus, just like that one article suggested, I think using that Japanese cut paste can help roots form, and may be quite beneficial under the tree.

Sorce

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Can you tell of the tourniquet actually helped the Roots?
Or are those roots coming from elsewhere?
Hey Sorce.... So the roots are definitely coming from above the tourniquet but haven't really pulled much of the soil so see if its coming from anywhere else as well. I would imagine they may be coming from below.
I'm itching to check things out in the spring! Really hope this technique works out... have another tree id love to try it on.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
UPDATE:
Hey all... tis the season here in the South West for me to start repotting. Been super excited to see how the tourniquets workout on this tree. Holy crap!!! New roots pushed from everywhere around the wire ties... above as well as below. I was able to remove the entire original root base.
Hopefully I'm not jumping the gun... trees repotted so only time will tell if I killed it lol.
@leatherback thanks so much for you guidance.

IMG_3026.jpeg
IMG_3029.jpegIMG_3032.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3026.jpeg
    IMG_3026.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 5

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cool.

are you happy with the nebari as is?

i keep my trees potted deep during development so that tje nebari continues to develop. only when I am happy with sit it comes above the ground. i think I would leave it deeper for another season, i think.

Exposed areas do not grow roots.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
are you happy with the nebari as is?
I'm much happier than I was... I left the tree lower in the pot in hopes that some of the new lateral roots will thicken up in the right direction. Maybe should have used a tile?

Top Bottom