Any tips: Cupressus macrocarpa(monterey cypress)

Thegamejr

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got this monterey cypress from the nursery for a couple bucks the roots around the soil looked alright.20210429_203221.jpg20210430_133519.jpg Just plan on basic care for a couple seasons. Any advice outside of that?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I forgot to look at your location before I responded. The timing is when spring foliage has extended and partly hardened off. In my Chicago area, that would be sometime middle to late June, through July. Prune during this time, there is plenty of time for another round of growth, if the Cypress, Cupressus, will do a second flush of growth. And if it does not send a second flush, it will have time to form buds for next year.

When you prune, always leave some green on a branch you want to keep. Never prune off all the green or that branch will die.

I don't know how well cypress back bud. Plan on them not back budding, that way you won't have to worry. In other words, keep some interior green in order to have future branch replacements. Much like one does with Hinoki.

Thegamejr

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I forgot to look at your location before I responded. The timing is when spring foliage has extended and partly hardened off. In my Chicago area, that would be sometime middle to late June, through July. Prune during this time, there is plenty of time for another round of growth, if the Cypress, Cupressus, will do a second flush of growth. And if it does not send a second flush, it will have time to form buds for next year.

When you prune, always leave some green on a branch you want to keep. Never prune off all the green or that branch will die.

I don't know how well cypress back bud. Plan on them not back budding, that way you won't have to worry. In other words, keep some interior green in order to have future branch replacements. Much like one does with Hinoki.
Okay perfect, that's where I got confused. It's going into our growing season now. I don't plan on doing anything aside from cleaning the ends. When do you start training the roots? Just for reference lol it's a discount rack plant so needs a lot of TLC before anything else.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are new to the hobby, so follow the "one insult per year" rule. If you do any pruning at all, no repotting. If you repot, do no pruning that year.

Your first job is to get it healthy. Decide if repotting or pruning is more important. I would repot, but you need all your materials at hand before you repot. If you have already started pruning, then leave repotting for next year. Get a selection of pots to use, and pick up potting media. I would look for a pumice based bonsai mix. Read through the subforum "Other Conifers" for threads on cypress, not bald cypress, Cupressus and or Hesperocyparis

Reaction score
I have that I have been working slowly. Half bare/rooted one year. Next year opened up the structure, pruning and wiring. They grow fast in my climate. Many wires cutting because I didn’t thought they would grow so fast. Interior buds tend to brown and die if shaded.

Thegamejr

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are new to the hobby, so follow the "one insult per year" rule. If you do any pruning at all, no repotting. If you repot, do no pruning that year.

Your first job is to get it healthy. Decide if repotting or pruning is more important. I would repot, but you need all your materials at hand before you repot. If you have already started pruning, then leave repotting for next year. Get a selection of pots to use, and pick up potting media. I would look for a pumice based bonsai mix. Read through the subforum "Other Conifers" for threads on cypress, not bald cypress, Cupressus and or Hesperocyparis
Thank you, that's the exact answer I needed.

Thegamejr

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have that I have been working slowly. Half bare/rooted one year. Next year opened up the structure, pruning and wiring. They grow fast in my climate. Many wires cutting because I didn’t thought they would grow so fast. Interior buds tend to brown and die if shaded.
That's good to know, thank you. . . Would you have any pictures of yours?

Top Bottom