Any tips for a beginner?

Deneb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hey there. I've always liked bonsai and at one point bought a small bonsai (I believe it was a juniper). It lasted for a little while but eventually turned a bad corner. After a number of years in between, a recent trip to a Japanese garden sparked my interest again and I've decided to get back into it -- seriously this time. I know that a bonsai tree can begin from seed, seedling, or young plant. Which is preferable for someone who is for the most part brand new to the artform?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am also new but took the other extreme and started with the biggest stocks I can find. Nothing wrong with both approach (or everything in between)...just know the advantage and dis-advantage of each.

Good luck and welcome to B-Nut! :)

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't spend a lot on trees the first few years because you will probably kill several of them when learning.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't spend a lot on trees the first few years because you will probably kill several of them when learning.

Yep, I collected lots of free plants/bushes/shrubs via Craigslist and they are better than most you can get from the box store or regular nurseries. Also watch construction areas and landscaper's while driving. (please don't get into any accident! ;) ) All you need to do is ask most of the time. :)

Good luck!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
1. When you go to class ask the guy with the healthiest looking bonsai what they grow their trees in and then invest in good soil (and learn how to water & fertilise well).

2. DON'T CONTINUALLY BE SNIPPING AT YOUR TREES. They need to 'look hairy' and get vigorous from time to time.

3. If you have a garden start prepping a growing on area for cuttings and pre-bonsai. It's by far the cheapest / most convenient way to get good stock and learn the techniques of ground growing (use of sacrifice branches, air layering, leader selection & trunk section growing etc)

Deneb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

Deneb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I am also new but took the other extreme and started with the biggest stocks I can find. Nothing wrong with both approach (or everything in between)...just know the advantage and dis-advantage of each.

Good luck and welcome to B-Nut! :)

I never thought of that. Using bigger plants to get used to training, pruning, and trimming. Unfortunately, I'm in a small apartment so there's not a ton of room. I'm relegated to using the windowsills. Thankfully, there is pretty decent afternoon sun now that summer has arrived.

Deneb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
1. When you go to class ask the guy with the healthiest looking bonsai what they grow their trees in and then invest in good soil (and learn how to water & fertilise well).

2. DON'T CONTINUALLY BE SNIPPING AT YOUR TREES. They need to 'look hairy' and get vigorous from time to time.

3. If you have a garden start prepping a growing on area for cuttings and pre-bonsai. It's by far the cheapest / most convenient way to get good stock and learn the techniques of ground growing (use of sacrifice branches, air layering, leader selection & trunk section growing etc)

That's a great idea, having a section of a garden for pre-bonsai plants. I might have to take over a bit of my parent's garden. :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I never thought of that. Using bigger plants to get used to training, pruning, and trimming. Unfortunately, I'm in a small apartment so there's not a ton of room. I'm relegated to using the windowsills. Thankfully, there is pretty decent afternoon sun now that summer has arrived.
It is actually not about trimming, pruning, wiring, etc...rather about the trunk size. Developing trunk, root/nebari, and main branches take long time. With bigger and older stock, you have that taken cared of and you just have to chop then refine. Well, I might have made it sound too simple but that is the gist if you find good materials. You may just get a stump on some (I have several of those) but there are ways to deal with it too like carving if you are into it.

You do not have to collect large trees too...there are smaller trees/bushes/shrubs with better developed trunk, nebari, & branches. I believe those are the 3 characteristics you have to concentrate on when finding a starter stock...no matter for what size. I did not mention/include leaf size just because I assume you already factored it in.

FYI, I have 8" tall plants now that started more than 10 feet. It is easy to look at the tree as a whole and buy the wrong one. CONCENTRATE on the bottom part...maybe just the 1/2 to 2/3 high of your target finished bonsai. The rest will most likely be chopped and disposed.

Good luck!

Deneb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It is actually not about trimming, pruning, wiring, etc...rather about the trunk size. Developing trunk, root/nebari, and main branches take long time. With bigger and older stock, you have that taken cared of and you just have to chop then refine. Well, I might have made it sound too simple but that is the gist if you find good materials. You may just get a stump on some (I have several of those) but there are ways to deal with it too like carving if you are into it.

You do not have to collect large trees too...there are smaller trees/bushes/shrubs with better developed trunk, nebari, & branches. I believe those are the 3 characteristics you have to concentrate on when finding a starter stock...no matter for what size. I did not mention/include leaf size just because I assume you already factored it in.

FYI, I have 8" tall plants now that started more than 10 feet. It is easy to look at the tree as a whole and buy the wrong one. CONCENTRATE on the bottom part...maybe just the 1/2 to 2/3 high of your target finished bonsai. The rest will most likely be chopped and disposed.

Good luck!

Oh wow. So I should be looking for bigger plants and then controlling the root system, trunk, and main branches to control the size of the rest of the plant? I suppose that is how bonsai works in general -- smaller nebari and trunk size results in an overall smaller tree.

Any suggestions on the type of plant and how much to cut down at once? I'm living in a small apartment with decent afternoon sun (especially in the summer). I'm also worried about shocking the plant and killing it from too much cutting and trimming...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Timing is very important. Every tree is different and respond differently to those chops/cuts.

Check what grows locally to make it easier on you (and the plants). Once you found what you like to try, read up on it or ask here. Better yet, search here for "indoor bonsai". Let me caution you though, there are very few plants that survive indoors and even those are better off outside. DO NOT be misled by the vendors, some list plants as indoors when they definitely are not.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Deneb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Timing is very important. Every tree is different and respond differently to those chops/cuts.

Check what grows locally to make it easier on you (and the plants). Once you found what you like to try, read up on it or ask here. Better yet, search here for "indoor bonsai". Let me caution you though, there are very few plants that survive indoors and even those are better off outside. DO NOT be misled by the vendors, some list plants as indoors when they definitely are not.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your help! I have enough things to look into to occupy me for a while. ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also, if you plan on growing indoors near a window, I would focus on tropicals like the many types ficus and invest in some supplimental lighting. T5 fluorescent bulbs can be had for pretty cheap or you can experiment with Led lighting. I had pretty good luck with some 50watt led floodlights, but you'll likely need to do some tinkering or pay a lot for an unproven technology.

Do a search for indoor and you'll find that it is really a diferent sport of the same hobby. I just closed on my new yard.. Er, I mean house. So I am real excited about focusing on my outdoor material soon, but I will always have a spot for the tropicals, be it in the basement under a grow light, or perhaps in a new green house if I can piece one together. Plus outdoor temperate trees have such a long slow dormancy, how else are you going to keep your clippers sharp over the winter?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Often times the hardest thing for a beginner to get over is having the courage to do a thing. I've seen people master the horticulture but when completely devoid of courage they wonder why their lush and healthy bonsai don't excite them, or look anything like they hope.

Art requires courage. You can't create something inspired without it.

Horticulture first... art second. Those are the keys to success.

All the best,

Victrinia

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How is someone new to the "addiction" to "just know the avantage and disadvantage of each"? Why dont you explain what this means instead of just posting this ambiguous statement?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How is someone new to the "addiction" to "just know the avantage and disadvantage of each"? Why dont you explain what this means instead of just posting this ambiguous statement?
Wow, is this a new requirement? :eek: I didn't get the memo!

My professor once told me....it is better to stimulate thinking than spoon feeding. ;)

As I said...I am also new but I knew. If he/she doesn't then let him/her ask. If you feel it is necessary to educate & clarify, why don't you do it? I think I am doing more than my fair share already (and been hound by the post police more than a few times)...I can use some help. ;) :p

If you read further down...I think there are tidbits there too. ;)

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Often times the hardest thing for a beginner to get over is having the courage to do a thing. I've seen people master the horticulture but when completely devoid of courage they wonder why their lush and healthy bonsai don't excite them, or look anything like they hope.

Art requires courage. You can't create something inspired without it.

Horticulture first... art second. Those are the keys to success.

True. The horticulture is the easy part. Training your eye for future development is the HARD part. I have been looking at bonsai for 4 years now trying to get it to soak in and I still take forever to make decisions and then when I do make a cut etc... I am full of doubt. I am no stranger to art (I play classical/improv jazz guitar and paint) but bonsai is harder than either one. That is one thing I like about it...it is hard (at least for me)

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
I'm 3 years into this hobby and I found the best practice is to go to a garden center and get 1 gallon junipers or boxwoods to practice on. They usually run 7 dollars each. You'll learn a lot hands on.

Looking at pictures really helps because the more visual library you have the better choices you'll be able to make when styling the tree. After you start getting some decent trees from the 1 gallon stock try spending a little more and getting 3 gallon or even 5 gallon stock.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there. I've always liked bonsai and at one point bought a small bonsai (I believe it was a juniper). It lasted for a little while but eventually turned a bad corner. After a number of years in between, a recent trip to a Japanese garden sparked my interest again and I've decided to get back into it -- seriously this time. I know that a bonsai tree can begin from seed, seedling, or young plant. Which is preferable for someone who is for the most part brand new to the artform?

Honestly, you are like the three hundredth person to post this question on this forum. A good place to start would be to spend hours reading all the old posts on this forum. Try species categories you like at first (elms or maples or what have you). Then search and read about specific horticultural techniques (trunk chops or ground growing or clip and grow). Just keep diving into the backlog of threads and when you find a few posters that you really like, go to their personal pages and read through all the threads they have created.

It may take you a long time, but this site is literally a grass roots style encyclopedia. learn to learn from it!

Top Bottom