Any words of wisdom before I order a dissectum Viridis cutting?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm ordering some maples shipping June 11th and the Viridis I had in my yard failed due to heat and Sun exposure stress
over several years balking at the location declining progressively each year.
It was a gorgeous orange in Autumn, but the one at E.G.G.W. says it is yellow...not so much my desire.
Nice though that it's a cutting, but I don't want a yellow lace leaf maple right now.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kind of a surprising conclusion. My experience is that winter cold and dry desiccating winds most commonly do in maples. Japanese maple leaves will sometimes toast in the sun, but it rarely is fatal. In zone 6, I think you likely must afford good protection from wind and sun in the wintertime and that the cold more likely killed your veridis.

Nevertheless, if want something for bonsai or a more upright acer palmatum 'sieryu' is worth considering - green dissectum, but smaller leaves. It also has good fall color. Personally I would take sieryu any day over veridis.

The best orange fall color, IMHO is shishigashira (Lion's mane). It is green and has a rather unique growth habit and very different from veridis. It is also good for bonsai.

If you are looking to grow a huge land covering dissectum with orange fall color, acer shirasawanum 'green cascade' is the king; very ill suited to bonsai cultivation, however.

But truth be known, my favorite japanese maple is the one that happens to be in front of me. There is a seemingly endless variety of colors. leave sizes and shapes, and growth habits. I've got Orange Dream, Shishigashra, Higasayama, shindeshojo, aka shigatatsu sawa, tsukushigata, ukiguomo, Okushimo, Green Cascade, and several nameless red laceleafs in my landscape as well as a few generic green acer palmatum strictly for bonsai. I also have a Hogyoku and a Hiname Nishiki potted as 'patio trees'. I have had two acer shirasawanum 'Golden Full Moon', a sieryu, a koto no ito, a bene hime and a crimson king that died from various causes (mostly my mistakes). If I had the room and the time, I'd get another of the ones that have died in my hands and also add some other dwarf cultivars for bonsai use. But alas there are limits to one's available space.

Enjoy your veridis. :cool:

Meanwhile, a copy of 'the Vertree's Book' might be of interest to you

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Viridis can have pretty great orange color.

Attachments

• 15584637920_b1bd828101_o.jpg
    15584637920_b1bd828101_o.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 34

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Kind of a surprising conclusion. My experience is that winter cold and dry desiccating winds most commonly do in maples. Japanese maple leaves will sometimes toast in the sun, but it rarely is fatal. In zone 6, I think you likely must afford good protection from wind and sun in the wintertime and that the cold more likely killed your veridis.

Nevertheless, if want something for bonsai or a more upright acer palmatum 'sieryu' is worth considering - green dissectum, but smaller leaves. It also has good fall color. Personally I would take sieryu any day over veridis.

The best orange fall color, IMHO is shishigashira (Lion's mane). It is green and has a rather unique growth habit and very different from veridis. It is also good for bonsai.

If you are looking to grow a huge land covering dissectum with orange fall color, acer shirasawanum 'green cascade' is the king; very ill suited to bonsai cultivation, however.

But truth be known, my favorite japanese maple is the one that happens to be in front of me. There is a seemingly endless variety of colors. leave sizes and shapes, and growth habits. I've got Orange Dream, Shishigashra, Higasayama, shindeshojo, aka shigatatsu sawa, tsukushigata, ukiguomo, Okushimo, Green Cascade, and several nameless red laceleafs in my landscape as well as a few generic green acer palmatum strictly for bonsai. I also have a Hogyoku and a Hiname Nishiki potted as 'patio trees'. I have had two acer shirasawanum 'Golden Full Moon', a sieryu, a koto no ito, a bene hime and a crimson king that died from various causes (mostly my mistakes). If I had the room and the time, I'd get another of the ones that have died in my hands and also add some other dwarf cultivars for bonsai use. But alas there are limits to one's available space.

Meanwhile, a copy of 'the Vertree's Book' might be of interest to you
Hi Osoyoung! The one in front of me :) Nice, I like it. You certainly enumerated quite a few in your possession and in different settings.

You could be right about the cold for a particular species (I don't have that book yet) but honestly, I've seen a few of these Viridis in landscapes about locally.
So in ground as was mine, should handle -20ºF for a night since we had -18 once 2 years ago here. In 77-'78 Winter, the Ohio River froze over here too.

I might plead to differ, but my knowledge is so limited on maples, but here's why...on the same side of the house are 2 red dissectums
of unknown cultivars that do ok against the house on the most brutal and unprotected side/location I have to offer being the front of the house.
One maybe 10 feet from the Viridis that died.
This is the side my front porch is on as well, and where the majority of my bonsai rest 3 seasons. I can only assume it is the heat, and the roots weren't
watered well enough to keep up. Not dry I don't think, but I left too much to Mother Nature and if a tree could talk (I believe they do amongst themselves)
SHE would have told me she needed more shade from the afternoon/evening Sun. There is nothing masculine about Viridis.
I'm taking this heat issue seriously because I'm worried about 2 maples that will not be under the canopy of the aspen I killed intentionally,
and is why I bought one of the crabapple trees I did this weekend which may help the Japonicum Otaki but a little.

Here's one more scenario that may lend a reason, but I doubt it...
When I got the Viridis 5+ feet tall, the root ball had termites.
The local county extension agent said to emerge and soak/drown the root ball in water, be it in a bag or wheelbarrow or tub for a few hours
to drown the termites. It's been so long I forget how long I drowned the rootball, but perhaps that got the tree off to a poor start and it never fully
recovered, though it did show well for 2 years thereafter. After that, the decline was steady and obvious. The tree was B&B in a wooden grow box underneath
the biggest Hemlock I've ever seen at the nursery and in full Autumn splendour. I had to have this tree...termites or not.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Viridis can have pretty great orange color.
Ya, I know right?...but not so fast. I thought the same thing until I read Brents info on his...

"0739 Acer palmatum 'Viridis', Green threadleaf dissectum with very finely divided 2 inch leaves. Bright green spring color, gold in fall. Strongly weeping habit. 'Viridis' is actually classification name rather than a true cultivar. Many good threadleaf green weeping cultivars carry the name. Our selection is especially valuable for its small leaves and stature, making it a really good small mounding specimen. There are only a handful of dissectums that can be grown from cuttings. Cutting grown plants, no graft unions."

So as Vance Wood would say..."we shall see" :)

p.s. @Osoyoung I agree the sieryu sounds like a must get cultivar and less weeping more upright.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
So here we are pulling the said Aspen over making way to plant a little bit of shade for the Otaki on the left side of the Aspen.
To the right is my A.s. 'Autumn Moon' 9 yrs in ground, probably about the same age of the aspen or close, then a dwarf WP to the right of that
with a semi dwarf WP at the corner of my lot. I still may dig this Autumn Moon maple and work it down.
The graft is recovered beautifully from breaking in half from a wind.

Without the aspen there, which was topped out 2 yrs ago, I expect the maples there to behave differently if not stress.
Certainly the Otaki will colour up differently this Fall. Neither had frost protection in April with aspen in bloom. Pretty blooms overall actually.
Camera angle is due East.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I had a lovely big firecracker next to my pond for a couple of years but then this winter the cold winds completely dried out the top portion and it went a light brown colour. I've cut it down to a lower branch abiut half the height it was which seems to still be alive. I've now got buds popping on the trunk below the branch so hoping it will bounce back. I'm surprised it suffered to badly though my back garden is fairly small and sheltered by 6 foot fences. We had a much colder winter than the last few years though!
I was hoping it isn't verticulium wilt but it only seems to have happened after the tree dropped all it's leaves normally before winter. The discoloration started in December and the buds just didn't wake up this spring in the canopy, just a few bits small low branch

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had a lovely big firecracker next to my pond for a couple of years but then this winter the cold winds completely dried out the top portion and it went a light brown colour. I've cut it down to a lower branch abiut half the height it was which seems to still be alive. I've now got buds popping on the trunk below the branch so hoping it will bounce back. I'm surprised it suffered to badly though my back garden is fairly small and sheltered by 6 foot fences. We had a much colder winter than the last few years though!
I was hoping it isn't verticulium wilt but it only seems to have happened after the tree dropped all it's leaves normally before winter. The discoloration started in December and the buds just didn't wake up this spring in the canopy, just a few bits small low branch
Well that certainly is directly inline with what Osoyoung was saying.

I did order the cutting, and I must add +++...
We have picked out a large specimen ‘Viridis’ for the yard.
It is in my book, magnificent. Trunk movement very nice also for landscape.
Should provide a couple layers before it dies too hopefully :rolleyes:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No bad MOJO here...or is there...???
DSC_2080.JPG

It will ship in June. Meanwhile...I certainly will. She is my favourite of all the dissects, wait, dissectums, what is the correct plural form of this name???
Any way we saw this last weekend and mulled it over, and decided to Spring for it! She is awesome. The last one had a little better form.
When I saw that the 1st one I had under that huge Hemlock which I learned today had began to fail, it was likened to a lady with captivating orange hair.
Almost as though I'd seen an angel, or at least that portrays how graceful and alluring she was. Been hooked since.

There's a couple suckers below the mentionable graft. Above the graft is favorable movement about the trunk. May build a pergola for it...

Please wish this one luck, as a bad omen cast a shadow on this purchase today.
The lady who owned the nursery where I purchased the deceased one and sold it to me,
showed up today, working, at the other nursery in across the river in Ohio where I bought THIS one TODAY!!!
Hopefully no bad mojo attached.

DSC_2081.JPG

DSC_2082.JPG
Well synced for a landscape tree :)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got one of these planted in the yard last fall. It still lives. Seems to have made it thru the winter. Sprayed as it had a ton of black aphids on the emerging growth. We'll see if the leaves bounce back.

That's a big 'in!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Got one of these planted in the yard last fall. It still lives. Seems to have made it thru the winter. Sprayed as it had a ton of black aphids on the emerging growth. We'll see if the leaves bounce back.

That's a big 'in!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
So you noticed it wasn’t the cutting I ordered LOL. ? 51 T x 56” W
I think I’d rather have aphids than termites though. Especially planting so close to the foundation.
Hope to get some layered bonsai from it eventually.
Best of luck to yours Lance!!!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Little "sprish-sprish" and no more aphids. We'll see how the leaves fare.

None on any of my containerized maples. Of course they are usually leafed out far too early, so not really any aphid problem......it's too f'n cold!!!!!
But then it's a matter of husbanding the foliage so you can enjoy a little color!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom