Any yamadori collectors in the Puget Sound area?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be careful wandering around in the woods up there. I got shot when I lived there 25 years ago and they never found the person who did it. No I wasn't hunting for trees at the time and I wasn't trespassing either. But just be careful anyways!

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Be careful wandering around in the woods up there. I got shot when I lived there 25 years ago and they never found the person who did it. No I wasn't hunting for trees at the time and I wasn't trespassing either. But just be careful anyways!

That's terrifying. I've stuck to the National Forests. I did just have a close encounter with a black bear this past weekend.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I live in Everett. I'm not sure of the species. If anyone knows, that would be awesome!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About an hour south of Everett is the Pacific Bonsai Museum in Federal Way. Right now they're doing a display honoring Dan Robinson's influence on the bonsai scene over the decades. It'd be a great opportunity to see his work in person without having to go all the way over to the peninsula. Maybe if you get a chance to go there you might be able to get some hints from them about where to collect, etc. Then again, they may not want to to give up their secret spots!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm in Vancouver, WA just over the river from Portland. I make a few collecting trips a year in this area (Gifford-Pinchot and Mt. Hood National Forests). If you would like to join me sometime just send me a PM. I'd love to make my way up north for a dig in the near future as well if you find any good areas in your neck of the woods.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in Marysville and work in Everett. I’m not ready to keep collected material alive yet but when I do I will use this thread :)

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone here have success collecting larches in Washington State? I see many wonderful trees while out in the backcountry but I'm usually in the off-limits Pasaytens or so far away from a vehicle that collection would be impossible, even if allowed.

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anyone tried getting a permit to collect? I've been attempting in Washington and it's been hellishly difficult with COVID and the ranger offices closed. Any advice?

Top Bottom