anybody brave enought to let lacewings loose in your house to eat mealybugs?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a few orchids and some bonsai showing the mealybugs just bought a 1000 lacewing larvae and I intend to let them loose indoors desperate to get this under control anybody with experience?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
''a few orchids and some bonsai showing the mealybugs''How many plants and how many mealy bugs? 1000 lacewing larvae sounds like a bit of overkill-
It might have been easier and quicker to squash them with your fingers or just wash them off with soapy water LOL ;)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mealybugs like crevices and those are hard to get your fingers into. Seventy percent Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol is sold for antiseptic use. At this concentration, it may safely be sprayed on plants to kill aphids and other soft bodied critters. Screw a spray nozzle on the bottle and you're good to go. Make sure you look at the label because it is sold as 91%, too, and perhaps other strengths. Read this attachment about other kinds of alcohols and hort uses.

Attachments

• PLANTS and Alcohol use.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 9

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Mealybugs like crevices and those are hard to get your fingers into. Seventy percent Isopropyl (Rubbing) Alcohol is sold for antiseptic use. At this concentration, it may safely be sprayed on plants to kill aphids and other soft bodied critters. Screw a spray nozzle on the bottle and you're good to go. Make sure you look at the label because it is sold as 91%, too, and perhaps other strengths. Read this attachment about other kinds of alcohols and hort uses.
Just dont smoke while spraying it !!!! 🔥LOL

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Y’know... Plants treated with Systemic don’t show these problems! 🤣🤣🤣

Just HAD to be “that guy” here..

(Not entirely my opinion, just advocating for the Devil)

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm battling mealybugs with nothing more than alcohol and neem/soap and it's holding them at bay. Alcohol in a spray bottle for spot treatments and neem/soap about every five days, as a spray and root drench.

There are easier methods for sure (eg: real pesticides), but I have two hungry Chihuahuas i have to worry about. Also, I'm protecting a few tropical trees and about 20 spekbooms. I would be less cavalier if my orchids were infested, I would be worried about damaging them w the alcohol and/or soap

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"... every five days.." Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
some chick on youtube lets predatory insects loose in her house a lot. She lives in california though so they probably just open the windows and let some escape if it gets out of hand. Might be a bit much to do in December/January in Lancaster

Top Bottom