anybody lose any trees?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The east coast earthquake shake any trees off shelves?

Anyone preparing for the approaching hurricane this weekend?

Some might say the weather has become "partly Apocalyptic.":D

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thankfully I didn't, but they were the first thing that came to my mind when it hit. Boy, that was bad.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The east coast earthquake shake any trees off shelves?

Anyone preparing for the approaching hurricane this weekend?

Some might say the weather has become "partly Apocalyptic.":D

Just warming up for December 2012.........:eek:

Harry

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was eating lunch, and the cook looked at me wierd, I said the counter is shaking, He says' maybe you are the one shaking. When he saw the water sloshing around he said ahhh!

Funniest thing was the mom of one of the waitresses calls in all hysterical(lives a couple blocks away) wanting to know if the restaurant was OK.

Ryan, if we (east coast) has a bad one you will really know it, most of the coast area is rock, and continuous, so unlike shaking settling sand in Ca., our big quakes shatter the rock that holds everything up. I'll give you some latitude though, as you were pretty close, but a bad one on this coast, and we wouldn't be corresponding quite so soon.

Remember one about 20-25 years ago, I was watching the tv and the recliner started traveling across the living room, the feeling was very odd.

Hurricane anyone, I hope not. Our area already has had a tornado, and a 100mph straight line wind blast that did some serious damage. These areas the last thing they need is a hurricane passing by.

By the way, I tie my pots down to the stands now, too many big wind gusts, and birds and such to wait and see what might happen. Although after seeing the after math of both, my tie downs are probably woefully inadequate. But I am counting on a glancing blow at best. Suppose I could wire them on, but if a tornado takes my stand, what are the chances of it coming to rest the way it was intended to be used???

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't step on cracks or walk where black cats have crossed my path............;)

Harry

I don't believe that bad weather is a sign of the world ending. I mean, it didn't end back in 1897 when one of this size struck :cool:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ryan, if we (east coast) has a bad one you will really know it, most of the coast area is rock, and continuous, so unlike shaking settling sand in Ca., our big quakes shatter the rock that holds everything up. I'll give you some latitude though, as you were pretty close, but a bad one on this coast, and we wouldn't be corresponding quite so soon.

That is a very good point. This was tiny compared to those in Cali. Being only about an hour away, it still gave me a good shake!

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I don't believe that bad weather is a sign of the world ending. I mean, it didn't end back in 1897 when one of this size struck :cool:

It's got to end some time, why not in 2012 ?

Harry

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That is a very good point. This was tiny compared to those in Cali.

Tell me about it!... I still remember like if it was a few days ago the 1994 Northridge earthquake and that was a 6.7 magnitude. My mother said one time, that back on 85' she was on a vacation trip on the coast of Jalisco, Mexico, while the "big" earthquake from Mexico city struck, that was an 8.3 magnitude and she felt it 530 miles away.:eek:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was gauging the intensity of the quake by my experience with the Loma Prieta quake in San Fran. back in 1989. I'm about 45 miles from the epicenter.

The S.F. quake was 7 or 7.1 or something. I was in the S.F. Hilton downtown for a conference back then. I remember standing in the doorway of the my hotel room bathroom for shelter watching the water in the toilet get sloshed three feet onto the walls...

This one wasn't close to that, but in an area where the buildings are not built for it and haven't been for 300 years or so, I had my doubts listening to my townhouse groan and do the wave.

The trees (all on benches and monkey poles) did fine. No issues.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
On a serious note, I'm glad everyone's trees are safe and nobody was killed.

Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5.8.......hell we got low riders with boom boxes that hit harder than that. Glass in my windows shakes at a stop sign.

Glad you are all doing Ok...I heard the Washingtom Monument was leaning... bad report?

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heck, I know know there are bonsai people here in Texas, one that has been doing bonsai for almost 40 yrs. and have lost most of their trees from this never ending heat. What's a little earth quake
gonna do?:p

Reaction score
I would also like to say that I am glad that everyone is safe and ok !!! and that Rockm is definitely correct when it comes to the buildings in Cali' being design for such things, like they are down here for hurricanes...
I lived in Los Angeles for a while and will never forget my first close encouter of the shaking kind !!! It's interesting to note, that when I lived by the beach in Venice, they were hardly felt... When I lived up in the Hollywood Hills, they would feel like rolling type waves, like being on a waterbed, and when I lived in the valley, it shook like it was never going to stop !!! So it is true, when they say that it is all about location, location, location... the beach is where it's at !!!! HA,HA,HA... only joking...

As far as trees, I have to say that personally I have had quite a few "RE-DESIGNS" because of the wheather, sucks when you have to dig your bonsai out from underneath a 40 ft tall fallen oak after a hurricane... Having said that, suprisingly enough, and looking back at it now, the damage done actually added to the design, beside I was then allowed to call it "natural" !!!

Looks like this hurricane might be headed a bit north of me... keep an eye out...

Top Bottom