Anybody out there working on peach, or almond??

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So on another walk down a creek I found some kind stone fruit, it has white flowers so I'm assuming almond. It has about a 4 inch trunk, that has some nice bends to it. At some point it fell over and the trunk has been half covered for what appears to be a while.

Does anybody have experience with almond? Im assuming early spring (just as the buds begin to swell) would be a good time to collect?
Looks like I'll be needing to build a box soon :)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And it sounds likes it’s free and a learning experience...as long as the tree material looks good for the first foot off the ground. I would assume the same as you...at bud swell. I hope to see a photo posted in the future here.

A photo might help better identify the tree....even if just the trunk right now.
Flowers?....doesn’t that mean the buds have already started activity? I don’t know much about the timing of trees with flowers in the wild.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
No flowers yet, I'm going off of the previous years. There' still a few leaves left on the branches. I'll try taking pics over the weekend

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'm not currently, but i've been on the look out for good Almond material for a while now. I think it's the closest old orchard tree we could find that is similar to Ume. Almond flowers are nice on their own, however you could also graft Ume onto almond.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've done a few almonds and I won't do it again - you get branch die off and there very fickle

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've done a few almonds and I won't do it again - you get branch die off and there very fickle

Well I can fiddle around with it for a while, and if it makes me want to burn it I can graft some peach, and or plum branches and stick it in the ground

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
All I can add here is that Portland used to have an iconic Chinese restaurant called Hung Far Low that no adolescent in age or mindset could ever drive past without laughing. When I met a member of the family that owned the restaurant I had to ask what the name meant. It translates as "almond blossom fragrance." If this tree turns out well you now have a great name for it.

Top Bottom