Anybody wanna buy a dead tree?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I could be convinced that this tree is indeed alive if I saw others from this area with Junipers looking similar and hearing testimony that this is normal for the region. I live in coastal CA so my situation is obviously very different from the Great Lakes region.

That being said, if indeed this tree is just displaying "winter color", I still think it was very poor judgement to put it up for auction at this time. You gotta read the room. Even if this is completely normal for Junipers to look like grim death during this part of the year in Michigan, you gotta realize that most people are going to think that you just posted a dead tree for sale. Where's the fire? Wait until spring when it looks better.
🤷‍♀️ climate/location is a weird thing. My landscape is behind blooming, being in a microclimate than in town 7 miles from my home. Zone map has us in the same zone. My plants are always behind that in town. Even my ginkgo is off schedule from the ones that line the streets in town for fall colors.

I know a few who like this nursery. Had quite healthy trees come from there. I've only heard positive feedback from ones happy with this seller...this one is used to his winter colors. So it honestly wouldn't make one pause. If it's common nature. The purple hints of color...no matter what shade my conifer in the landscape show come winter...most all have that purple tint hints...other than the hemlock.

One juniper tends to get so purple it looks black...which is super cool. Unless one lives in the same microclimate. Their colors will vary. Even in my own landscape ... winter colors are never the exact same.

I do get ones...not grasping winter colors if they live in milder climates. So...a nursery who winter is a good time to sell their dormant trees and ship easily...should...hold off on trees with winter colors? That's what you are saying?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yea Ive seen juniper change color in winter too but never like that

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Even if this is completely normal for Junipers to look like grim death during this part of the year in Michigan, you gotta realize that most people are going to think that you just posted a dead tree for sale.
The corollary is that its completely normal to them and they might not realize there are regions whose junipers DON'T look like this in winter. It's a huge non-issue. This is what shimpaku can look during winter in cooler regions. There are a few tips that look bleached/white that might be lost, but there's little reason to think the plant will suffer much in spring.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have some itoigawa from Portugal where it rarely freezes, they are lush green, just barely showing any winter color.
I have some itoigawa from a local source and they go golden purple brown in winter.
Both spend all time outdoors, unprotected.

It seems that it depends on both the source as well as the climate they've been accustomed to.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have some itoigawa from Portugal where it rarely freezes, they are lush green, just barely showing any winter color.
I have some itoigawa from a local source and they go golden purple brown in winter.
Both spend all time outdoors, unprotected.

It seems that it depends on both the source as well as the climate they've been accustomed to.
How long have they been in your climate? I find the foliage texture and color does change over time based on climate. Both of mine in this thread came from CA (left from LA, right from Northern CA) and they are definitely taking on winter color.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm sure of this: Kurt would never, ever sell a tree in anything but good health. Period.
I have several from him from the FB auctions. They were exceptionally healthy and he wired them into the box, so no damage whatsoever from shipping. I would buy from them again, no question.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
From a beginner eye looks fine and actually I was gonna buy that tree but I didn’t .

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
From a beginner eye looks fine and actually I was gonna buy that tree but I didn’t .
PM me with your budget and I will hook you up with an itiogawa. Won’t be able to dig anything until next Wednesday, so be patient.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
PM me with your budget and I will hook you up with an itiogawa. Won’t be able to dig anything until next Wednesday, so be patient.
Do I get a ticket too?

Proud of myself for not buying a single tree last year. From anywhere!

Top Bottom