Anyone bonsai a Gorse bush ?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I know it's a weed but I'm looking at a couple gorse bushes in my neighbours property . Maybe I should hit them weed spray 😁

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
They can look tempting, interesting gnarly shapes, especially those growing in exposed windy places, and with colourful scented flowers all year round, but those thorns would be a real B********* to handle and work on! 😂 .
At least here in Britain theyre a native, but in New Zealand theyre an introduced very invasive species so perhaps spraying or burning might be the answer!

windswept old gorse bush | by squeezemonkey

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Anyone tried to bonsai a Gorse bush into a Gorse bonsai tree ?
I see them growing everywhere here in the uk and they always remind me of gnarly old yamadori mountain junipers. I imagine, given their penchant for long bare stems, that the issue for bonsai is reliable backbudding on old wood. I do also wonder if they hate being put in small pots, although they seem to thrive in nutrient-poor, wind-eroded sandy soils, (i have an inkling that they may be ericaceous too?). Every comment I've ever seen relating them to bonsai mentions just how spiky they are though!

I'd be severely tempted to try a long twisting literati style with minimal foliage if I ever found a suitable one to collect.

Google never gives many examples which is an indication of their unsuitability, but just because they're not currently regularly bonsai'd doesn't mean you shouldn't try! The last time I looked into them I think Bonsai eejit had one or two gorse on the go.

morriganflora

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I see them growing everywhere here in the uk and they always remind me of gnarly old yamadori mountain junipers. I imagine, given their penchant for long bare stems, that the issue for bonsai is reliable backbudding on old wood. I do also wonder if they hate being put in small pots, although they seem to thrive in nutrient-poor, wind-eroded sandy soils, (i have an inkling that they may be ericaceous too?). Every comment I've ever seen relating them to bonsai mentions just how spiky they are though!
You'd actually be surprised just how viable they are as bonsai on paper. I grew up surrounded by gorse so I had a reason to want it to be possible. I've been studying horticulture in university and decided to do my thesis on testing if it's possible. I finished my literature review a couple weeks ago and I'm starting some experiments soon.
Some findings:
They backbud really really well as long as they're exposed to light. The legginess is caused by shading, in high light and wind exposure they go juniper dense. A healthy plant can be cut back to 10yr old wood and reliably backbud.
They grow in basically any soil or environmental conditions.
They use root bacteria (mentioned on the last Mirai podcast) to make their own nitrogen. Research suggests the bacteria would be incredibly effective in a bonsai pot.
I'll be posting updates on my blog every so often. If you want updates you can go read about it there.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You'd actually be surprised just how viable they are as bonsai on paper. I grew up surrounded by gorse so I had a reason to want it to be possible. I've been studying horticulture in university and decided to do my thesis on testing if it's possible. I finished my literature review a couple weeks ago and I'm starting some experiments soon.
Some findings:
They backbud really really well as long as they're exposed to light. The legginess is caused by shading, in high light and wind exposure they go juniper dense. A healthy plant can be cut back to 10yr old wood and reliably backbud.
They grow in basically any soil or environmental conditions.
They use root bacteria (mentioned on the last Mirai podcast) to make their own nitrogen. Research suggests the bacteria would be incredibly effective in a bonsai pot.
I'll be posting updates on my blog every so often. If you want updates you can go read about it there.
I hope Santa is bringing you some chainmail gloves

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Course definitely had some potential for bonsai. The fact that is is not being used doesn't mean it's not suitable. Very few species are being used but that's mainly for historical reasons.

Those bacteria might work in a lot but are not necessary if you give fertiliser.
Grafting on a juniper is pointless, they are not related at all and it would never work.

morriganflora

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Those bacteria might work in a lot but are not necessary if you give fertiliser.
There's a difference between necessary and potentially able to eliminate expenses or sources of pollutants. It might not be as relevant to hobbyists as it is to professionals, who (especially in the EU) could be facing new legislation that seriously limits fertiliser applications in the future. It's also just better for the environment, if you're into that.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I thought Gorse Created the internet...
Nah, that's Bill Mays, with another fantastic product called Michaelsoft.
But you could be right, Internet Explorer is now Edge. And where do we find edges? On gorges.
I think you're onto something here!

Top Bottom