Anyone dabbled with terrariums?

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Do not add Critters, it spoils the Concept of being a Plant Terrarium....Remove the partial seal and just let it grow, watering it occasionally like every 7 or 8 days.....
Source ...., how can a Old Hippy that doesnt Shower advise Daily Showers ???
Why do you suggest leaving it open? I'm just intruiged 😊

The plants I bought are (I believe) better suited to closed. I thought it was mainly succulents for open ones?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
This is fascinating! Thanks for sharing 😊 I may need to look into a way to properly sealing it? I'm guessing even a small gap will let enough air in to defeat the object? Attached a photo but not sure you can see the gap, definitely there though
Yes it would need to be completely sealed to achieve one of these systems. You could use wax or something if you went down that route, but I tend to agree with bolero though, don’t add critters or at least don’t seal it fully. There are certain combinations of plants and animals that will work together in perpetuity, but most wont.

If you went down the sealed route an old demijohn with a wax sealed cork would be a good option.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Yes it would need to be completely sealed to achieve one of these systems. You could use wax or something if you went down that route, but I tend to agree with bolero though, don’t add critters or at least don’t seal it fully. There are certain combinations of plants and animals that will work together in perpetuity, but most wont.

If you went down the sealed route an old demijohn with a wax sealed cork would be a good option.

Ahh I see. So in there I have polka dot plant, nerve plant, ivy and moss (no idea what kind of moss it it - got it off my new potentilla). As far as I know these should go well together, but I won't pretend to really know what I'm talking about 😂 and yeah I've not researched the bug situation at all yet

I've got a couple of plants left over, may have a go at a smaller sealed one at some point

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Do not add Critters, it spoils the Concept of being a Plant Terrarium....Remove the partial seal and just let it grow, watering it occasionally like every 7 or 8 days.....
Source ...., how can a Old Hippy that doesnt Shower advise Daily Showers ???

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Sealed require Heat and Humidity, Ferns...... Creat a Jungle like Atmosphere, Rain Forest, etc. Not easy to maintain and excell with....

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Interesting to see this thread. I've been wanting to make a sealed ecosphere myself.

I have the perfect container but no lid, have scoured the net for a replacement and just can't find one.
I might have to resort to using a glass cooking lid with weather stripping to make the airtight seal.

I've been waiting for it to rain so I can gather active, living soil from the woods. The same guy that made the 12 yr old video have a woodland build, thats what I plan on making.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Interesting to see this thread. I've been wanting to make a sealed ecosphere myself.

I have the perfect container but no lid, have scoured the net for a replacement and just can't find one.
I might have to resort to using a glass cooking lid with weather stripping to make the airtight seal.

I've been waiting for it to rain so I can gather active, living soil from the woods. The same guy that made the 12 yr old video have a woodland build, thats what I plan on making.
Yeah I had trouble finding a lid too! Ended up using. Yankee candle lid, seems to be doing the job. Yeah I do love his, definitely let me know how you get on with it I'd be really interested to see 😊

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Yeah I had trouble finding a lid too! Ended up using. Yankee candle lid, seems to be doing the job. Yeah I do love his, definitely let me know how you get on with it I'd be really interested to see 😊

My opening is 7.5 inches. I guess my jar is something that would be used in a restaurant for bagels.
I would love to find a lid like the candle ones with the plastic sealing part. I'd even be happy with cork but can't find giant ones

Top Bottom