Anyone else use Gorilla Glue on broken branches?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not broken... OFF... but just the, .....you know,........ occasional "whoopsie."

Gorilla Glue stays a bit flexible and expands with limb growth. I paint it to match the bark color with water base paint. It can be "roughed up" and looks quite good when done.

:)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh... hang on.... whoa!
I just remembered!
It is GREAT for prophylactic use as a split preventative. I have a juniper with a couple of VERY skinny long limbs hanging down so I filled the inside of the "Y" with the GG and then painted it !!!
No more wind whoosh worries. (WWW) :cool:
How great is THAT ?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
If I may... Gorilla glue foams up correct? I know they have different kinds. This may interfere with the cambium lining up properly, or even become not in contact after the glue expands. Sounds sketchy and not fool proof enough to me. I use... Ready for it?
Wood glue. Just a small amount and electrical tape to bind the pieces tight. Also have done it with just the tape.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If I may... Gorilla glue foams up correct? I know they have different kinds. This may interfere with the cambium lining up properly, or even become not in contact after the glue expands. Sounds sketchy and not fool proof enough to me. I use... Ready for it?
Wood glue. Just a small amount and electrical tape to bind the pieces tight. Also have done it with just the tape.
Thought of that. I never put it all around the break. Also never used it if the break wasn't hanging on with substantial remaining tissue.
I also wire the break to hold the raw part together. It's dry in a couple hours and can be carved or sanded and painted to match color in a day.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Gorilla glue (original) is a polyurethane glue. Wood glue, particularly a water-proof cured product like Titebond III is also excellent. I think either would greatly out-perform Super Glue in any wood application where moisture is involved.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/the_truth_about_polyurethane_glue/

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As long as you dont get it into the cambiun layer most glues will work.
Or splint it with wire and masking tape until its healed. Which is around time the tape has disintegrated.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As long as you dont get it into the cambiun layer most glues will work.
Or splint it with wire and masking tape until its healed. Which is around time the tape has disintegrated.
That's what worried me about super glue. It's runnier than Gorilla and seemed more likely to invade farther than I wanted.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Yes. its great for re attaching live veins to dead wood on junipers. it expands as it cures and can be carved and treated with lime sulfur to blend in with the rest of the deadwood

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes. its great for re attaching live veins to dead wood on junipers. it expands as it cures and can be carved and treated with lime sulfur to blend in with the rest of the deadwood
Blast you, Paul! The last thing I need is a NEW project! ;)

Top Bottom