Anyone ever root graft a procumbens?

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
So I have a “root over rock” procumbens I’ve been putting together for the last 3 years which is shocking to think about because it seems like it’s only been a year. At any rate, for what it is it’s coming together quite nicely, but I think the composition will always be lacking without a root in the front. Otherwise it will just be a trunk on rock with roots trailing behind. I have never looked into root grafting at all so I’m curious if it is something I could possible do. The tree couldn’t have been more than $10 and the pot is $2 with a free rock so it won’t be the end of the world if it doesn’t work, but it would be significantly better if it was possible. Just curious if anyone has experience trying it or has any resources regarding root grafts with junipers. I feel as though I have only read about it for broad leaf trees and pines.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks pretty good for minute tree. However believe "normally" tree for ROR is chosen for good roots for job to begin with. Suggest that while root graft MAY be possible size of tree would make difficult and better idea to look for tree with better roots for job and grow this one as perhaps informal upright😊.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Juniper root pretty easily, at least shimpaku do. Maybe try nicking the bark where you want the root and burning it a little deeper?

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
You can take a branch cutting after its rooted graft it in the base where you want the root, when its grafted you can cut the upper part and you will have roots where you want

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I am with @PA_Penjing - juniper do root easily enough, just nick the spot you want a root, add a dab of rooting hormone, then burry the whole rock and tree so that the area you want the new root(s) is half centimeter or quarter inch below the surface of the media. Top dress with some long fiber sphagnum to help keep that top layer moist. One growing season should do it.

An alternative. That first root, closest to the camera, perhaps when you repot you can bend it to come forward where you want the root. Spread the remaining roots out to fill in. You might be able to solve this by rearranging the roots you have.

Third option. Root some cuttings of this juniper. Do an approach graft, add one or two or more trunks which will change your tree from a single trunk to a twin, or three trunk tree. In time they will fuse. BUT be warned. Junipers tend to be compartmentalized. The approach grafted trunk and root might only provide for the grafted trunk. If you let them fuse, even 5 years later, if you remove the added trunk, it is quite possible the added root will die. Not guaranteed, but a possibility.

Top Bottom