Anyone ever try a paper parasol for sun protection?

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
Thinking of rigging up a way to put up 1 or 2 parasols for some shade for ONE DAY absences.

Anyone ever work with these things?

I may also try jerry-rigging a shade cloth Rube Goldberg contraption that could just...sit... on the bonsai shelf for the very hot days.

Sure be easier than MOVING pots and stuff.

It only seems to be a day or two at most, but THIS YEAR, the damn heat is devastating. Lost a small cotoneaster and several potted flowers on the one REALLY killer day.

I don't like what 58 in morning and 108 in afternoon must be doing to ...roots...either.
They are visibly not USING the water they get and I can think GOING SOUR really easily.

anyhow, what about parasols?

or....?????????

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone ever work with these things?

Be positive they are anchored firmly and far away enough away from the plants that if a sudden wind gets ahold of them they are not found wrapped around your plants... Happened to another member here a couple years back. Might want to try theses for safer results - I saved the link from another thread... http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandw...d=38-556RS&start=1&q=shade netting with hoops
Grimmy

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
Be positive they are anchored firmly and far away enough away from the plants that if a sudden wind gets ahold of them they are not found wrapped around your plants... Happened to another member here a couple years back. Might want to try theses for safer results - I saved the link from another thread... http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=38-556RS&start=1&q=shade netting with hoops
Grimmy

Made a similar thing of PVC, machinist cloth, and shade cloth to shade a clawfoot bathtub I had with fish in it.

Clumsy thing and for trees it would be far too low.

Going to...ugh...Home Depot (my definition of a GOOD day is any day without going to a "home improvement" place) and see what kinda crap I could cobble up.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I bought some shade cloth from Lowes and some PVC. Made a small hoop house with the shade cloth on top using clamps. Seems to be working well. More info and pictures is desired.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I built a lattice "roof" for one of my benches, with 2x4 leg extensions from my bench legs. I keep maples under it and other stuff that I dont want baked. It gets morning sun, and the afternoon sun is blocked by a BIG crape myrtle. Mid-day, lattice filtered sun. Works pretty well.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We'll be going away for a couple of weeks in August, and will depend on my mother to water. As I don't trust her to water well, I'll be moving all my plants into the shade. I'm more than a little concerned. I'll probably call every day to remind her to water.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I hiked up my pride and just relocated my main shelf a little closer under the back overhang. They get MORNING sun there and an auxilliary little portable table at the end of the shelf can be used for pines needing sun when the temp is under 110.

They're also in EASY reach of my drip setup.

Damn crappy summer so far. 50 degree daily swings play havoc with watering.

Top Bottom