Anyone ever water with melting ice cubes?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Maybe a stupid question but since it's my first stupid question, I'll ask it.

Just having a drink while looking at the trees and seeing posts about keeping POTS cool, it just seemed logical.

So..... anyone use ice cubes to water trees? 🤔

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yeah agree with penumbra, wont do any good and probably will be detrimental, in a hot day put ice water in the soil cant be good at all for the roots

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I got an eastern lilac in the ground to half bloom with ice around the base here In southern ca once:)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No. Wouldnt be very efficient. It would be a lot of effort to do. Besides what others have stated about very cold temperatures on warm soil/growing roots, you would need a lot of ice to ensure enough water.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hehe...there's an orchid vendor by the name of "Just Add Ice" that markets easy watering of orchids by just adding a few ice cubes :)

I've actually been doing that off and on for orchids since long before I knew about this company. But I'm not sure I'd ever do it for trees. A few ice cubes on top of a pot aren't going to do much...but I put a lot more water into my trees. I doubt I could water them effectively with ice!

There's plenty of heat capacity in cool water to cool a pot...probably more effectively than ice which would take most of the heat out of the air while melting rather than the pot. Water will seep into the pot and be much more effective. Shade and appropriate watering would be the most effective tools in keeping pots cool, I would think.

DeeJay

Sapling
Reaction score
Have you considered a simple drip irrigation system? Perhaps you could set up a short run above ground along a garage wall or the back of the house. You can turn the faucet down if it drips too hard.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Have you considered a simple drip irrigation system? Perhaps you could set up a short run above ground along a garage wall or the back of the house. You can turn the faucet down if it drips too hard.
I abandoned the drip system I put on. A real bitch to regulate. Some flood, some starve.
I do it with the hose.
And pots of goldfish water.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I had a fridge with a leak in the rubbers. It produced about a kilogram of ice every week.
Gave chunks to my tropical plants without issues.
Yes, the water is 0 degrees when it drips off, but the bottom of my 1 gallon pots (without bottom holes) never showed any condensation so I figured the water must have been room temp when it reached the bottom.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Someone with a temperature probe could do an experiment. Put some ice cubes on the soil in a pot, then measure the temperature at root depth several times as the ice melts. The question is, does the ice cool the root zone enough to harm a tree in active growth. I may try this with my compost thermometer if it measures the right temperature range.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Interesting if you think about it, a tropical bonsai or orchid would never have the surface roots approach freezing.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Someone with a temperature probe could do an experiment. Put some ice cubes on the soil in a pot, then measure the temperature at root depth several times as the ice melts. The question is, does the ice cool the root zone enough to harm a tree in active growth. I may try this with my compost thermometer if it measures the right temperature range.

I think it would just be ....cool. Temp wise cool.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think whether it works or not, a lot of credit should go right to the tree. Simplistically stated, an alpine many conifers might enjoy a little ice, whereas a more tropical plant like a Satsuki would resent it.
However, it is well known among commercial growers in nursery trade, that cool water slightly reduces the vigor of young root growth. Thereby it slightly retards growth.
As to trees (unless seedlings) it is probably not all that relevant unless it is a daily practice. Even then, who really knows? We do what we do and it is our way.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We do what we do and it is our way.
Very well said!

As to ice, I also think the tree drives whether ice as water would work. Thinking about the high plains of the southern tip of South America: freezing in the mornings and high temps in the afternoons. What trees grow there?

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
My thinking is that should be ok. It is just a matter if enough water gets to the plant.

ie whether a plant is a tropical plant or not, a bonsai is in a small pot and the soil is more prone to fluctuations in temperatures.

Put a pot with organic material in the sun and see all the worms etc come out on a hot sunny day.

ie in summer my guess a plant would be much cooler soil conditions compared with a bonsai pot, and there probably isn’t a huge difference in soil temperatures between a tropical plant and an alpine plant in summer in any case.

Also remember, the quantities of water from ice melting are low. A bigger difference to the roots would be larger quantities of cold water from the tap or similar at once given its thermal capacity.

Top Bottom