Anyone every flown w/ a bonsai as a carry on?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I read that plants can be taken on planes as long as they would fit in the overhead bin. I'm taking a business trip out to LA and there appear to be a lot of bonsai nurseries.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used overhead with no problems but I make sure it's the bin over my row so I can direct traffic ;-)
If it's in a bag, you don't get as many stares ;-) Bag as in sack ;-)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Overhead bins aren't what they used to be. I've flown with bonsai before, but since then I swear overhead bins have shrunk to half the size.

Depending on the tree, you might consider removing it from the pot for the trip. If the pot is any good, it will travel better in a suitcase. You will find it easier to transport a tree with the rootball wrapped in plastic, regardless, and the whole thing in a bag.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can also score a pic in TSA’s “Weird things we get to X-ray” newsletter, LOL!

On a serious note, do most airports have a spot where you could box it for shipping, in the event boarding with it doesn’t quite work out? If so, might be good to show up extra early to clear TSA.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've only flown with bare rooted stuff in my backpack

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
In japan this is not a problem. I have several times taken trees as check in, haven’t had a bad experience though you also won’t get insurance. If it breaks it’s on you so better make sure you pack it so it can handle a bump now and then. Both as check in or overhead.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Years ago, I bought a couple of those little citrus trees they sell in gift shops in Florida, and stuck them in my purse. Of course, I got pulled out of the security line, and they searched my bags. Got a stern look, and a "I told you not to buy that shit" from my husband. But they let me take them on the plane.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Remember you have the right to request TSA to do a hand search of the bag/box/package instead of having them turn it on its side or upside down to get it through the xray machine. Found that out after they had broken a highly detailed item shoving it into the machine.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes, in 1996 I flew with a small Chinese Elm from Seattle back to Iowa, in a shopping bag.
I also checked one one from Birmingham to a workshop in IA and back, in a Rubbermaid bin.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd hold it in my lap...
The steward will object to you doing so while the plane is taking off or landing. Twenty years ago you might have been able to get away with it, but nowadays they're too high on the smell of their own farts concerned with protecting us from hijackers to be accommodating. You might get lucky and find the crew that will rub brain cells together, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you're unsure as to the dimensions, contact the airline and don't let them brush you off. The first person you contact will, because it's their job to help the customer realize that it really is better to drive. I haven't flown in a few years (swore that off after I was emancipated the service; I've got rants about how generally shitty airlines and TSA are), but you should be able to fit something the size of a standard backpack into the overhead bin.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The steward will object to you doing so while the plane is taking off or landing. Twenty years ago you might have been able to get away with it, but nowadays they're too high on the smell of their own farts concerned with protecting us from hijackers to be accommodating. You might get lucky and find the crew that will rub brain cells together, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you're unsure as to the dimensions, contact the airline and don't let them brush you off. The first person you contact will, because it's their job to help the customer realize that it really is better to drive. I haven't flown in a few years (swore that off after I was emancipated the service; I've got rants about how generally shitty airlines and TSA are), but you should be able to fit something the size of a standard backpack into the overhead bin.
Hahaha, indeed...
I hope I never have to fly in a plane again...
The whole experience is just terrible...every time.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
We're going to the Bahamas this summer, bet they have some cool, tropical trees there. But, since I prefer not to be arrested by customs agents, pictures will have to suffice.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We're going to the Bahamas this summer, bet they have some cool, tropical trees there. But, since I prefer not to be arrested by customs agents, pictures will have to suffice.
If you can get your paws on a phytosanitary certificate from the government of the Bahamas...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If you can get your paws on a phytosanitary certificate from the government of the Bahamas...
Lol, we're going for our anniversary, so have purely recreational plans. I'm letting him plan it, not sure tree hunting is on his agenda. But thanks.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have brought pre-bonsai, potted nursery plants, live Christmas trees, bare-rooted wild collected tree seedlings and saplings, rare palm seedlings, rare orchids and other misc. plants on flights. Most of which were purchased when I lived in Va. and brought with when I moved back to Fl. TSA never gave me any problems but I did get some strange looks and lots of curious questions from those sitting nearby.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My last trip earlier this year I flew back home with a small ficus I had picked up. It's very compact pre-bonsai, I simply wrapped the pot in plastic to keep the soil in, and had it in a small box which fit in the overhead no problem. This was a domestic flight, so no major concerns. International could be an issue though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
@chris, could you put the bonsai on the 'floor' of the cabin, in between your feet? Well-wrapped of course, and no worries about anything on your lap or tray table.

--Helene, new to the forum

Top Bottom