Anyone good with ID wild plants or houseplants?...found this

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
In my backyard in wet area under pines and atlantic white cedar. Fittonia?

Drilled drainage for the ceramic btw and mosquito bits w mulch under i planted them in for fungus gnats

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200823_110228~2.jpg
    20200823_110228~2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200823_110128~2.jpg
    20200823_110128~2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 51

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm going to try to overwinter them alongside other houseplants...half here. They say if you get them to transplant theyre hardy. Dappled sun.

Attachments

• 20200822_161257~2.jpg
    20200822_161257~2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Goodyera pubescens - also known as Rattlesnake plantain, winter hardy jewel orchid, and a few other common names. There are 3 species that are common, and occur across much of North America. There are a couple more that are fairly rare and local, that most would be unlikely to run into.

@hinmo24t - they are somewhat tricky to winter indoors. Your best bet is to winter it with your Massachusetts native bonsai trees. They are fully winter hardy outdoors in Massachusetts. You could try growing it in Kanuma. And you could winter it with your other winter hardy bonsai. It needs the cold winter rest to grow well. Slugs are a serious pest with these if your winter storage is too humid. The slugs will find them and devour them over the winter. Lay down a fair amount of slug bait before you put them into your winter storage.

As native North American orchids go, they are fairly common, they do colonize habitats some 10 to 20 years after disturbance. They grow in leaf litter, as a soil humus epiphyte. Their roots will go down, through the leaf litter, and right at the boundary where the leave litter is most broken down, right on top of the soil surface, their roots will spread out horizontally staying just above the parent soil, in the layer of broken down leaf litter. Difficult to duplicate in a bonsai pot, but not impossible. Kanuma is a good choice because it does contain some humates. Use mostly organic fertilizers, like seaweed, fulvic and humic acids and fish emulsion. Strong chemical fertilizers will send it into decline.

@JesusFreak - you have a lovely Anoectochilus jewel orchid there, and it is the tropical cousin of the Goodyera that the OP collected. There are Goodyera species native to Georgia, you might find them if you get into some relatively undisturbed woodlands.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Goodyera pubescens - also known as Rattlesnake plantain, winter hardy jewel orchid, and a few other common names. There are 3 species that are common, and occur across much of North America. There are a couple more that are fairly rare and local, that most would be unlikely to run into.

@hinmo24t - they are somewhat tricky to winter indoors. Your best bet is to winter it with your Massachusetts native bonsai trees. They are fully winter hardy outdoors in Massachusetts. You could try growing it in Kanuma. And you could winter it with your other winter hardy bonsai. It needs the cold winter rest to grow well. Slugs are a serious pest with these if your winter storage is too humid. The slugs will find them and devour them over the winter. Lay down a fair amount of slug bait before you put them into your winter storage.

As native North American orchids go, they are fairly common, they do colonize habitats some 10 to 20 years after disturbance. They grow in leaf litter, as a soil humus epiphyte. Their roots will go down, through the leaf litter, and right at the boundary where the leave litter is most broken down, right on top of the soil surface, their roots will spread out horizontally staying just above the parent soil, in the layer of broken down leaf litter. Difficult to duplicate in a bonsai pot, but not impossible. Kanuma is a good choice because it does contain some humates. Use mostly organic fertilizers, like seaweed, fulvic and humic acids and fish emulsion. Strong chemical fertilizers will send it into decline.

@JesusFreak - you have a lovely Anoectochilus jewel orchid there, and it is the tropical cousin of the Goodyera that the OP collected. There are Goodyera species native to Georgia, you might find them if you get into some relatively undisturbed woodlands.

awesome, Leo, thanks.

I will plan to keep them outside then - good points. i guess if frigid air is forecasted, i will keep it in my garage.

i am also looking for Pipsisewwa striped wintergreen to cultivate as well.
those would be good outside im sure, i did read they can be kept inside...
but outside is prob the better choice as you mentioned.
1598282088085.png

Top Bottom