Anyone good with investing in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is interesting.

@Leo in N E Illinois identified the issue that others have picked up on: a bonsai is a living thing that changes and therefore any value captured by making a bonsai NFT would be immediately lost because it has already changed. NFT is a point in time. Bonsai is always becoming.

This brings up the next idea though of using block chain to record each step in the evolution of a bonsai tree, from seedling, cutting, etc., to its present. One could even record temperature, humidity, watering, and feeding. The block chain could include video clips with time stamps of pruning, reporting, etc.

But...That's basically what we do here with tree threads isn't it?

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm skeptical of NFTs. To be worth anything they would need to have some sort of exclusivity. My understanding is that the image files are too large to be stored on a blockchain so a URL linking to the image is hosted instead. That URL can be changed at any time by the host of the website, which is a centralized entity. One example of NFT's commonly used is virtual skins in a video game such as Fortnite, well ask yourself why a video game developer would sell an NFT skin on a decentralized blockchain or exchange and only profit off the initial sale when they could instead host their skins within their own centralized exchange (epic games store or steam marketplace) and skim a % off every transaction made between players.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm kinda surprised that nobody's brought this guy up: https://niftytrees.com/

He had a small display at Nationals, at Bjorn's table. His whitepaper describes a digital record of the progression of the tree, and what seems a non-counterfeit-able way to provide provenance.

I think it's an intriguing possibility. Imagine that these were common, and every high-level tree was expected to be sold with an NFT showing ownership and provenance. Would that help cut down on the continuing thefts in SoCal?

The provenance of it is intriguing too. It's relatively easy to say the tree was "styled by Bjorn/Marco/Ryan/Owen" or any other major pro, but there's decent bit of ambiguity to it. Does that mean that the pro saw the tree at a BYOT workshop once last year and didn't do much with it? They provided the initial styling at a demo ten years ago and nothing since? How about if the same tree has had five BYOT workshops with the same pro in a ten year period?

The Mirai sale usually has high prices for the quality of the tree, but a big part of that is the Ryan Neil brand, plus the provenance of that tree being in potentially many Mirai streams and videos. I'm not convinced this is much different

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

He had a small display at Nationals, at Bjorn's table. His whitepaper describes a digital record of the progression of the tree, and what seems a non-counterfeit-able way to provide provenance.

I think it's an intriguing possibility. Imagine that these were common, and every high-level tree was expected to be sold with an NFT showing ownership and provenance. Would that help cut down on the continuing thefts in SoCal?

The provenance of it is intriguing too. It's relatively easy to say the tree was "styled by Bjorn/Marco/Ryan/Owen" or any other major pro, but there's decent bit of ambiguity to it. Does that mean that the pro saw the tree at a BYOT workshop once last year and didn't do much with it? They provided the initial styling at a demo ten years ago and nothing since? How about if the same tree has had five BYOT workshops with the same pro in a ten year period?

The Mirai sale usually has high prices for the quality of the tree, but a big part of that is the Ryan Neil brand, plus the provenance of that tree being in potentially many Mirai streams and videos. I'm not convinced this is much different
Interesting

Timarsen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Yeah, that's exactly what we're talking about! Provenance is a large part of Japanese trees at the Kokofu and would clearly make trees more valuable to their owner and any potential future owners. I feel like NFTs can be part of that, but I'd love a database that tracks the trees and documents their evolution. Like a tree grown at Telperion Farms, then recovered after the fire to be styled by Ryan Neil, then purchased by a Mirai student and worked on by Todd Schlafer and Bjorn, etc., etc., with photographic documentation as well. As a bonsai lover, I'd pour over a database like that for inspiration about how to evolve trees and see the kind of work bonsai artists of the highest caliber are performing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

heh, I looked at @PeaceLoveBonsai ’s location and was wondering if that’s what he’s working on

I think NFTs will be a thing. I’m not sure if they’ll be a thing for bonsai.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quantifying/monetizing what should be a simpler. pastoral, peaceful, relaxing, humbling pastime or hobby seems destructive and a theft of all good about Bonsai. I stand against this invasion of evil technology and avarice🧐💩.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom