Anyone grow Parotia persica?

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to Google they also seem to have some interesting flowers as well as lovely fall color.
Have never thought about one but may give it a try.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Arthur Joura @ the NC Arboretum had a youtube video where he worked on one. I don't know that I've ever seen it on display, but I think there's lots that aren't often on display there.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love these trees. They have a beech look but are actually in the hazel family. I have had a large one for about 30 years but it has died back in the last few years due to a change in ground water. A few years ago an area that was fairly dry became a wet area for most of the season due to poor drainage and increased rainfall. Much of the past 2 years the soil is actually mucky. I took a few root cuttings that have suckered and I am just growing them on. All have done well except the largest one that I grew out last year and then re potted late winter this year. Apparently they don't care for excessive root work as this particular plant never budded out this year until one shoot developed leaves about a month ago. I really don't expect it to make it through the winter. Three others have done very well and are planted in air pruning pond baskets.
Flowers are interesting but pretty insignificant but leaves are gorgeous.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
AKA Persian witch hazel or Persian ironwood.
Seems to respond well to all the usual bonsai techniques.
View attachment 331838

Also has really attractive spring foliage - shiny green with a reddish margin. Later they are just leathery green
View attachment 331839

Hi,
I have a small seedling here, maybe a few years old. Great yellow Autumn colour, and as you say lovely red margins.
Charles

Top Bottom