10b
Just got some Chore Pears so I decided to extract the seeds and plant them
Chore Pears are from China ( i think )

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What do they say... Try everything once! With a big fruit you'll want a big tree and then only 1-3 fruit. I'm no expert on fruit or bonsai, but usually it takes fruit 5-7 years to produce and usually need a pollinator. Good luck in your journey.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Glad I’ve got about 20 seeds planted . Hope at least 1 will germinate

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'll try and find some pictures . Just found the fruit in the local supermarket ( really nice fruit taste like a Nashi Pear )

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
here's some pictures of the fruit

Attachments

• Pear1.jpg
    Pear1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Pear2.jpg
    Pear2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 8

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never heard Asian Pears called that before. They go by a few names, but they're all Pyrus pyrifolia. Sand pear, etc.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
From seed, you will have some variation in fruit quality, might end up with dry mealy or gritty texture fruit. Usually first flowering from seed is at least 5 years and can take as much as 15 or more years depending on how optimal growth is. Fruit trees from seed are a labor of love. Apples are notoriously slow for time to first bloom, 20 years being common in northern climates. This is the reason fruit breeding is a generational project.

Plums, cherries and peaches do bloom more quickly from seed than apples, but 5 to 10 years to first bloom is typical.

In pots, or with the pruning typically used for bonsai training, first blooming may take years longer than ideal conditions of ground growing.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You just made me realize I haven’t seen a Nashi pear in the supermarket for YEARS!

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Chore pears are imported into New Zealand from China . Shipping time I am guessing would be six week (slow ship from China ) If I extracted the seed immediately is that enough time for stratification etc….

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
To make things more complicated... Some fruit don't need stratification! I would just plant them straight away. See if they sprout within a few weeks. If they don't then throw them in the refrigerator for 3 months.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Some fruit don't need stratification! I would just plant them straight away. See if they sprout within a few weeks. If they don't then throw them in the refrigerator for 3 months.
Yes , that's exactly what happened and I've planted some in seed raising mixture and some have gone straight into the fridge

Top Bottom