Anyone have experience with Massachusetts/ New Hampshire winters

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unsure of whether to build shelves in the garage or some sort out cold frame. Thanks.

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also what’s the deal with the “whispers” ad?Wicked random.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where are you zone wise? What tree's? I am east of worcester and some trees stay outside, some go in my garage, and most in a basement bulkhead.

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Newburyport. It’s 6b. Chinese junipers , Japanese white and black pines. Atlas cedar , American larch and Acer pal- buer

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was planning on just putting them all in the garage. It’s connected to the crib, but not heated. The more I read about it , the less decisive the information is.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was planning on just putting them all in the garage. It’s connected to the crib, but not heated. The more I read about it , the less decisive the information is.

Be careful of an attached garage as sometimes they can stay too warm. You want temperatures consistently below 40 during the winter. You also still have to make sure they get water. I used to keep my trees in the garage and checked them once a week. Kept buckets of water in there with them so I has it when needed.

I am in zone 7. I now use a cold frame made from cement blocks along the north side of my house. I leave it uncovered unless temperatures drop below 30. I almost never have to worry about water with that set up. I'll even let it snow in there. It's a much easier setup to deal with and my trees seem to like it too.

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yea. So you basically built 4 or however many walls with stone? I like the idea of leaving them outside.. we have “nor’easters which is really all I’m worried about..

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Yea. So you basically built 4 or however many walls with stone? I like the idea of leaving them outside.. we have “nor’easters which is really all I’m worried about..
NEBG (New England Bonsai Gardens) is very near you and they have a wealth of knowledge and experience pertinent to your specific area. Give them a visit and pick their brains, good folks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
NEBG (New England Bonsai Gardens) is very near you and they have a wealth of knowledge and experience pertinent to your specific area. Give them a visit and pick their brains, good folks.
Absolutely worth a trip. I was there this past weekend and got some advice myself. Look up Kaikou School of Bonsai and Kaikou Study Group as well which operate onsite there. There’s a show coming up you could check out.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
3 walls, the 4th wall is the foundation of the house. It's made from cement blocks, not stone. I'll post a picture later.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what worries you about nor'easters? We have them here too, as well as plain ol' hurricanes in the fall. All my trees have been out in both. Snow? Snow is your overwintering friend. He are some of my big trees after a 15 inch snowfall.

Attachments

• storedtrees.jpg
    storedtrees.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
  • snappedmaple.jpg
    snappedmaple.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 13

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Okay. I have been trying to get over there. They are appointment only for my days off. I will try them again. I started bonsai in may and got quite carried away. Any other learning opportunities (suggested) would be greatly appreciated. I didn’t realize how attached I would get to these plants. Thanks everyone.

p.s Still wondering about the ad for “whispers”.

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
what worries you about nor'easters? We have them here too, as well as plain ol' hurricanes in the fall. All my trees have been out in both. Snow? Snow is your overwintering friend. He are some of my big trees after a 15 inch snowfall.
Well mainly the fluctuations in temperatures causing rain/ sleet , then freezing. This breaks branches 2 ft thick..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well mainly the fluctuations in temperatures causing rain/ sleet , then freezing. This breaks branches 2 ft thick..
That's called February here in the middle Atlantic states. We don't get snow we get ice/sleet/freezing rain. Happens all the time. It CAN be an issue with bonsai, but usually isn't-typically bonsai aren't tall enough and branches aren't big enough to have problems with ice load--unless you try to remove the ice. THat's when branches are broken and damage is done. I have also have maple spruce and pines bent double by extreme (three feet) snows. They recovered without breaking. Wouldn't worry about fluctuating temps if you have roots adequately protected with deep mulch. I've had twenties go to 75 within a week here. Deep mulch lags ground temps.

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I will set something like that up. This is a ridiculous question but I’m asking. Do the conifers NEED sun through dormancy?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think I will set something like that up. This is a ridiculous question but I’m asking. Do the conifers NEED sun through dormancy?

There is debate about that and Im not sure there has been any confirmation.

. I have kept mine in a fairly dark garage all winter and had them in that cold frame covered for long periods in the winter with no ill effects. Note as I stated above, I dont keep it covered all the time because I want it to rain and snow in there to provide water and insulation. I only cover it when it is forecast to go below 30 degrees. It is on the north side of my house so they really dont get much sun at all during the day but they do "see" the daylight length.

Others have had their trees buried under snow for most of the winter again with no ill effects.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chinese junipers should be fine outdoors. I usually bury my mine in leaves near the house out of the wind in late November. Prior to that they are on the ground on cold days otherwise on the bench.

Top Bottom