Anyone identify Chinese Elm leaves Problem?

Oceanman113

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My young Chinese Elm was doing well until 2 weeks ago when I started noticing spotted leaves. (Please see photos) 98% of the tree leaves are fine, but every day there are more spotted. Usually 2-4 a day. They fall off when touched.

I’ve been spraying Neem Oil for 5 days.

Soil is well drained Akadama, lava rock and pumice.

Was indoor for winter under grow lights. I started putting it outside for 2-3 hours on days when it was 65 and over.

I live in New Jersey. Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• 3175FC48-ECCF-4D8A-8FC5-D81C445669D2.jpeg
    3175FC48-ECCF-4D8A-8FC5-D81C445669D2.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 38
  • A0CD73DD-FA7B-402A-9B16-D54DF584226E.jpeg
    A0CD73DD-FA7B-402A-9B16-D54DF584226E.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 3B0F7CD3-EBE8-4891-965B-A1394EE1C346.jpeg
    3B0F7CD3-EBE8-4891-965B-A1394EE1C346.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 38

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Normal leaf replacement is my guess.

Your tree ought to be fine outdoors year 'round, but it will be deciduous in your climate = leaves turn and drop in Oct/Nov and then it will leaf out again about this time in the following spring.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Agree with Oso, leave it outside, bringing it out and in of the house is stressful to the tree. They are pretty hardy, just leave it outside. Good luck.

Oceanman113

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you both very much! I received the tree this winter from a nursery and didn’t want to put it outside till this Spring so it didn’t go into shock. Will put it outside now permanently.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you both very much! I received the tree this winter from a nursery and didn’t want to put it outside till this Spring so it didn’t go into shock. Will put it outside now permanently.

For the next few weeks, bring it in if it threatens to drop below freezing. After all winter indoors, a sudden frost can be hard on the tree. Left outdoors, with all of autumn to adapt to coming cold weather, this should be fully winter hardy in your area. My Chinese elm spent the winter outdoors, and I am north of Chicago, between Chicago & Milwaukee, quite a bit colder than your area.

Oceanman113

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For the next few weeks, bring it in if it threatens to drop below freezing. After all winter indoors, a sudden frost can be hard on the tree. Left outdoors, with all of autumn to adapt to coming cold weather, this should be fully winter hardy in your area. My Chinese elm spent the winter outdoors, and I am north of Chicago, between Chicago & Milwaukee, quite a bit colder than your area.
great advice, thank you! I had an elm die last year so I’m paranoid now.

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Question for everyone. Why do Chinese Elms drop so much foliage after shipment?Unfortunately with everything going on my local bonsai shop is closed to the public so I purchased online and have lost a worrisome amount of leaves in the past few days...

The seller EasternLeaf said this was normal but I was curious as to why it happens.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Question for everyone. Why do Chinese Elms drop so much foliage after shipment?Unfortunately with everything going on my local bonsai shop is closed to the public so I purchased online and have lost a worrisome amount of leaves in the past few days...

The seller EasternLeaf said this was normal but I was curious as to why it happens.
Let’s put you in abox and ship you across the country and see if some of your hair doesn’t fall out!

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let’s put you in abox and ship you across the country and see if some of your hair doesn’t fall out!

Haha very true. My curiosity arises from experience with other plants being shipped without much trouble. Didn't know if the elm was a bit more susceptible to dropping foliage or not. I'm just getting back into the hobby and have never had experience with anything other than killing perfectly fine juniper specimens as a kid. I find your analogy rather refreshing and reminded me of the days when I still had hair to worry about.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would bet part of the issue is the leaves you are losing are left overs from last year and the tree is jsut using this stress to go ahead and shed some. Good luck with it.

Top Bottom