Anyone in the Chicago area?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
arrrrree yyouuu kkkiddddddiingggg, :D

Of course, and I am sure some will pop up and chime in. Sorry had to do it.;)

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know you're going to get some interesting responses to your question.
One guy you will want to know about is Matt Ouinga - bonsai artist and expert with Trident maples.
See his site here -http://www.kaedebonsai.com/
Enjoy! :)

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an hour and a half south of there, but yeah.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Check out the Midwest Bonsai Society's website. (Just Google it, it will come right up.) They still put on one of the best annual shows in the US, IMHO

Last edited:

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Glad to know I'm not alone! Where are good places to look for Bonsai? I only know of the Hidden Gardens in Hinsdale.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad to know I'm not alone! Where are good places to look for Bonsai? I only know of the Hidden Gardens in Hinsdale.

Midwest bonsai show is just a month and a half away. You can get better trees for half the price on what you see for sale in nurseries around chicago area.

There are some trees in Gethsemane gardens at Chicago north side.

Eric

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, while Gethsemanes has some Bonsai I wouldn't consider them anything of real quality stock, on the other hand they did have some neat Japanese Maples and Pines in their back lot on the other side of the alley. Being a club member myself I will agree that The August show that the Midwest Bonsai Society has is definitely worth saving up some money for if you are looking for mature stock or more developed specimens.

http://www.midwestbonsai.org/augustshow.html

They will also have some great specimens on display from both the Gardens personal collection as well as club members trees. If you are not a Garden member though it will cost you $20 for parking and I recommend you get there early for a good parking spot and selection of stock.

Last edited:

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Close enough, but right across the border. Originally from there and frequent the Midwest bonsai show as well.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
We live in north-central IN, but the August show is an annual event for us. Be sure to check out Meehan's: very reasonable prices, wide selection, and I've never been dissatisfied with anything I've bought from them in, what, about 15 years.

Reaction score
New to the forum, but not to bonsai. Just moved to Geneva, Il from Tulsa.

Correct about Kaede Bonsai. Super seedling business, great quality. Honest guy, good teacher and a good friend. He's a guy thats helped me tremendously over the past 4-5 years.

Agree, The midwest show is a great event.

Neil

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Parking at the Botanical Garden is free that weekend if you're member of the Midwest Bonsai Society?

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have to be a member of the Garden to have free admittance but if you enjoy the garden and plan on visiting it at least a couple of time a year its worth purchasing a annual membership which if I remember right cost $70 for the year, which would pay for itself in less that four visits. It also can be used for the whole family, not just the membership purchase-er. I defiantly think its worth it since they have many great shows and events year round at the garden as well as the awesomeness of the garden itself:D

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed on the membership. It's worthwhile even if you just go there to check out the 3 bonsai shows every year (winter, spring, summer). You'll also want to take a look at the garden's bonsai collection fairly often - you get to see them in different seasons, and I've noticed they sometimes swap out trees. Definitely check out the August show. Midwest Bonsai puts on some excellent workshops there (need to pre-register), and the vendors always have some fantastic stock at all price ranges.

There's also the Prairie State bonsai show coming up July 16th/17th at Morton Arboretum. It's a smaller show, but still worth seeing, and they also have vendors with trees for sale. The Arboretum also has an entrance fee, so it's worth becoming a member there too if you plan to visit more than once a year.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
We get the Garden's National membership, which is discounted and for those who live more than 75 miles away. We don't get to the CBG that often -- but the CBG has reciprocal agreements with gardens and arboreta all over the country. :D:D

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
CBG is one of the amazing hidden gems of the Chicago area. I know people who have lived in Chicago their entire lives and never been there. Also a great place to rollerblade AROUND (no rollerblades allowed in the garden).

The combo bonsai show / garden visit is well worth the price of admittance.

Top Bottom