Anyone in Vietnam?

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score

My girlfriend is from northern Vietnam, and we were looking at a couple of the threads on Vietnamese bonsai on here the other day. She saw the picture that Si posted of the huge bonsai at the monastery and commented that it was typical of a bunch she had seen when she lived there. Apparently huge tropicals are the norm in the south, but the north has a different climate, especially in the higher altitudes. Maybe Headcutter will chime in, I believe he's in southern Vietnam.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hi Rockm, I'm a member of Vietnamese bonsai forum. I can say that some of huge bonsais in VN is priceless!! When their owners don't want to sell them, they just claim million US dollars for each. Who can afford it? Of course, no one. This is my story in US. One time I came to one of great bonsai artists' home here, and found more than hundreds of beautiful regular JBP and cork pine. I like one the most, and asked the owner if he wanted to sell it. He said he would sell it for $30,000!!. I asked him who could afford that price. He told me that because he knew no one wanted to get that tree for that price! Anyway, in VN, they tend to have huge bonsai even though Vietnamese have tiny bodies. Most of the time they have to use a crane to lift the bonsai!! Bonhe

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
My girlfriend is from northern Vietnam, and we were looking at a couple of the threads on Vietnamese bonsai on here the other day. She saw the picture that Si posted of the huge bonsai at the monastery and commented that it was typical of a bunch she had seen when she lived there. Apparently huge tropicals are the norm in the south, but the north has a different climate, especially in the higher altitudes. Maybe Headcutter will chime in, I believe he's in southern Vietnam.

Oops...I was wrong here. Apparently she is from a temperate (Northern?) spot in Southern Vietnam, not Northern Vietnam. Big difference...:eek:

Top Bottom