Anyone interested in Chicago Yew Yamadori

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I've found 4 very large yews someone wants removed. I plan on going fri. If there's anyone interested in helping out for 2/4 yews just shoot me a pm.

Chris

Reactions: Rid

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good luck Chris!!! The pic you posted seems very promising, hope the base and bottom branches are.

If I am near you, I will be all over this. :D Can you get/hire a day labor or something to help you with the heavy lifting?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Dario. I would be open to hiring someone, but I don't know where to look here. I always found workers in Ca. outside the Home Depots, or on corners near one. Here in Chicago, nothing. Maybe they have a law against this? I'll call my landscaper and see if he can spare a worker fri. Thanks for the suggestion Dario!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your landscaper is a good bet. If it fails, check Craigslist. I usually find people posts looking for odd jobs. Do be careful though, I try to snap a pic of the person I am dealing with (with their approval and even their cars lic plate) and email it to someone I know before I close the transaction. Otherwise, I walk away. Be safe!

Good luck!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Can't find anyone Dario, looks like I'm on my own. Gonna be a hell of a long hard day lol

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good luck...you will probably be hurting the next few days (I know I did) but will have several nice trees to console you. :D ;)

I'll be with you in spirit...how's that? LOL

I hope it goes easy and they all make it.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
as dave4 suggests, go get a come along. using one is a game changer.

best wishes, sam

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Go to home depot and buy a "come along" winch...worth it's weight in gold, particularly if you are working alone.

I have one because of Sandev but never got to use it yet. If you can find a good anchor point (like a nearby tree) it should work really well. Don't forget to bring some cushion (like old towels) to protect the bark!!!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As promised...I am with you in spirit.

Hope all is going well with the collection Chris! :)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I have a come along from my 4 wheeling days lol I was going to take it as it is an extr. useful device.

But it rained a ton here yest early evening, and all night long even harder. Knowing this was going to be tough with dryer dirt, and a real nightmare with water logged soil, I emailed the guy and postponed it till next week. Only prob is it's supposed to reach 80F. Oh well, I'd rather have it dry and hot than wet anytime. At least the homeowner has been very patient.
So I'm prob. looking at next wed or thurs. Bummer as I really just want to get the hard work done and get it over with LOL

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I was closer Id give you a hand fore but its like a 12 hour drive at least if not more.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, now it makes me feel not quite so lazy lol

And Thanks too Paradox for the kind thought, but 12hrs is way too far away. Again though, very generous of you to even give it serious thought ;)

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Cris,

If I have time this next weekend, I can give you a hand with collecting. That is if you promise to water my trees next time I go on vacation. :p (just kidding)

Eric

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Eric,

I'm trying at this point to working around the rain. I'd love the help, but my 7dy forecast looks like rain next thurs and fri, which wouldn't be that great for next weekend. I'll shoot you a pm on tues to let you know my plans as I've tentatively sched it for next wed (first day off I can get where it's not raining..gonna suck it's 85F though.)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth, yews are fairly easy to collect. In my experience, they tend to have planes of roots that go out radially, rather than have a large tap root that goes straight down. The larger ones may have more than one plane, but it's usually fairly easy to cut the large radial roots and then use a bar or shovel to pop the tree out.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
For what it's worth, yews are fairly easy to collect. In my experience, they tend to have planes of roots that go out radially, rather than have a large tap root that goes straight down. The larger ones may have more than one plane, but it's usually fairly easy to cut the large radial roots and then use a bar or shovel to pop the tree out.

That's really great to hear mcpesq817. Thanks for letting me know about that. Very useful to know.

They look to be about 4-5' tall and am thinking of chopping them down to 2.5', then excavate from there. Maybe even leave one thriving branch as a sacrificial branch, I think having a healthy part going gets the roots going faster...in theory lol

fore

Omono
Reaction score
...when I collected my azalea, it was 106*F ;) Good thing there is only one tree that time.

Are you taking these this Wednesday? :)

Yowsa, 106F...85 not's looking so bad now lol ANd yes, this wed.

Top Bottom