Anyone interested in Chicago Yew Yamadori

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Those look really good, I think you will have a high chance of success. I've dug a few yews from MI and have had very high success rate. Here's one that I dug last year and potted this year. It's pushing lots of new growth so far this spring.

I know it'll be a long term project, but hopefully before I die ;) .

Might seem an odd question but some branches look to have been treated with pruning sealer and others have not. I did not use it on mine but was looking at all of the back budding and was wondering if I should seal all up... There is very little reference to Yews available concerning collection so it is a honest question. Thanks in advance!

Grimmy

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I didn't seal anything. It's still too high on the tree to worry about it. In my experience they don't have significant sap loss. The difference you see in color is just relative to time. The black stubs were cut last year and the fresh looking cuts were done this spring.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I didn't seal anything. It's still too high on the tree to worry about it. In my experience they don't have significant sap loss. The difference you see in color is just relative to time. The black stubs were cut last year and the fresh looking cuts were done this spring.

Thank you - Looking at mine and the fact that it is in a galvanized container at just shy of 220 pounds total I was curious and have plenty of sealer. It does seem to be doing ok so far though and after 6 weeks I have a LOT of tiny back buds on all of the main branches. Would hate to see me landing up with some crazy infestation for lack of my knowledge. So far it "seems" keeping it mostly shaded and rinsed everyday is enough but I will go further if need be.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you - Looking at mine and the fact that it is in a galvanized container at just shy of 220 pounds total I was curious and have plenty of sealer. It does seem to be doing ok so far though and after 6 weeks I have a LOT of tiny back buds on all of the main branches. Would hate to see me landing up with some crazy infestation for lack of my knowledge. So far it "seems" keeping it mostly shaded and rinsed everyday is enough but I will go further if need be.

Grimmy

Are you getting any buds out of the trunk. Either of you guys?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Well better stated I have all of the large "trunks" I tipped off on an angle and those are what is budding. The roots I left exposed and the small branches were left for possible carving and no the old small branches are not - the multi-trunk of 4 is and the two largest off shoots a little higher up are indeed budding. I suspect the few smaller branches will as well but I am happy to see the main section is for now. 6 weeks in shady area daily water twice and I expect four times when things heat up. It is to crappy out to do a photo of the new stuff but this picture shows what is budding a lot in green and what is not in red :cool:

Attachments

• GEDC1446b.jpg
    GEDC1446b.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 46

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welll,well,well.... that's a good thing to know. That fast also! That's a great thing for you too. It means that mammoth is going to pull through.
Developing trees from something you jerked out of the ground is pretty cool isn't it.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That fast also!

I am happy to see all the tiny new growth and hope it continues throughout the upcoming weeks giving it a better chance of making it through Winter 1. It will still be more then likely 3 - 5 years before I am certain it can take a mammoth carving and get a smaller container. We shall see ;) On the other side of the yard I am loosing Maples left and right with a tough fungal called pseudomonas(from a damp Spring):mad:. Out front I started battle with Aphids newly discovered by ants this morning :eek:. I am honestly not going to replace anything this year and just nurture the few things that will be left. I had vastly different plans but discouragement is winning...

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy, Pseudomonas is a bacteria. ;)

My head is not on straight with the mess I have here along with the large cleanup. It is bacterial but called pseudomonas syringae and I will share this quote to give you an idea how bad it is -

"Plant Symptoms Caused by Pseudomonas syringae

A variety of symptoms are associated with woody plants infected by Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae. Symptoms and symptom development depend on the species of plant infected, the plant part infected, the strain of Pseudomonas syringae, and the environment. More than one symptom can be simultaneously on a single plant.

• Flower blast: flowers and/or flower buds turn brown to black.
  • Dead dormant buds, common on cherries and apricots.
  • Necrotic leaf spots (entire clusters of younger, expanding leaves may be killed on filbert trees).
  • Discolored and or blackened leaf veins and petioles resulting from systemic invasion and infection.
  • Spots and blisters on fruit.
  • Shoot-tip dieback, which appears as dead, blackened twig tissue extending down some distance from the tip (very common on maples and other seedlings).
  • Stem cankers: depressed areas in the bark, which darken with age. A gummy substance often exudes from cankers on fruiting and flowering stone fruits (this symptom is referred to as “gummosis”). If cankers continue to enlarge, they may girdle the stem and subsequently kill a branch or the entire plant. IF the outer tissues of the canker area are cut away, the tissue underneath shows a reddish brown discoloration. This discoloration may also occur as vertical streaks in the vascular tissue."
Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I collected a yew with an awesome trunk that pushed buds within a month of collection and seemed to grow fairly well all summer long...it was dead a year later. As I found out and was told by those with more experience, yews can seemingly grow on post collection with minimal roots, only to die months to years later. Buds pushing a year post collection is a better prognosticator of survival.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
My head is not on straight with the mess I have here along with the large cleanup. It is bacterial but called pseudomonas syringae and I will share this quote to give you an idea how bad it is -

"Plant Symptoms Caused by Pseudomonas syringae

A variety of symptoms are associated with woody plants infected by Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae. Symptoms and symptom development depend on the species of plant infected, the plant part infected, the strain of Pseudomonas syringae, and the environment. More than one symptom can be simultaneously on a single plant.

• Flower blast: flowers and/or flower buds turn brown to black.
  • Dead dormant buds, common on cherries and apricots.
  • Necrotic leaf spots (entire clusters of younger, expanding leaves may be killed on filbert trees).
  • Discolored and or blackened leaf veins and petioles resulting from systemic invasion and infection.
  • Spots and blisters on fruit.
  • Shoot-tip dieback, which appears as dead, blackened twig tissue extending down some distance from the tip (very common on maples and other seedlings).
  • Stem cankers: depressed areas in the bark, which darken with age. A gummy substance often exudes from cankers on fruiting and flowering stone fruits (this symptom is referred to as “gummosis”). If cankers continue to enlarge, they may girdle the stem and subsequently kill a branch or the entire plant. IF the outer tissues of the canker area are cut away, the tissue underneath shows a reddish brown discoloration. This discoloration may also occur as vertical streaks in the vascular tissue."
Grimmy
Yup, nasty disease. Michael H. has written some blog posts about this. I've had it a couple times, JM's in the ground where it stayed too wet. Treatment is Zerotol.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Treatment is Zerotol

I cut everything up to burn as every tree affected was way beyond saving. All have been packed in sealed landscape bags as well as all of the substrate. I am not burning however and all is going to the Landfill Wednesday(safer). Been bleaching and cleaning everything as if it were a Hospital. I will be using Agri-mycin 17 on everything before I introduce anything new and every Spring as a preventative.

Grimmy

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Good! But do be aware, at least for me, it ONLY happened when I had an over damp situation (trees growing in shade of lg tree). So keep your growing conditions controlled.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good! But do be aware, at least for me, it ONLY happened when I had an over damp situation (trees growing in shade of lg tree). So keep your growing conditions controlled.

Thank you and that is what happened to me. I have since removed all of the landscape cloth, mulch, stone, and all else the previous owner put in. Then I graded the fresh soil for optimal drainage and opened up a couple inches more space under the fence for better air circulation. This has been a "rough" week.

Grimmy

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing the best job there Grimmy, I'm sure you'll get this handled since you changed up the growing environment.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I know it'll be a long term project, but hopefully before I die ;) That yew you posted Grim was the columnar version of yews, hence why the trunk is so straight. My neighbor has one that's about 15' tall, but perfectly straight. Here are mine, sorry for the dark pics, but they were taken under shade. I'm also in the middle of staining the back deck's cement with a pewter colored stain. So EVERYTHING is on the lawn and taking pics is nearly impossible. Will get better pics when I have my garden set back up, and these trees under misters. Btw, those are 25"W X 18"D for scale. The 2nd, the huge one, is like 10-12" thick trunks. This may be a bit too big, on the other hand, it could be a project for a carving job when I have the skill set.

View attachment 73828 View attachment 73829 View attachment 73830

Well, these two are doing just ok. Nothing has died, but not much/if at all of new growth. The only new growth I've seen is the production of pollen cones. Though digging about some shows decent new roots. I'm hoping next yr. it will start to grow more.

Top Bottom