Anyone into tree climbing?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
I recently went on a tree climbing event and now wondering if anyone has advice on getting climbing kit and roughly how much a basic prussik or equivalent set up should cost? Is it advisable to buy second hand gear and any advice on how to recognise heavily worn equipment? Are there any testing labels/standards I should look for when buying equipment?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently went on a tree climbing event and now wondering if anyone has advice on getting climbing kit and roughly how much a basic prussik or equivalent set up should cost? Is it advisable to buy second hand gear and any advice on how to recognise heavily worn equipment? Are there any testing labels/standards I should look for when buying equipment?
I never used a prusik.
I used hooks(gaffs or climbing spurs),saddle,buck straps and a rope.
Tied a friction knot in the actual rope instead of using an extra piece like a prusik or mechanical brake. The less pieces in a climbing system the less chance of something failing. Mainly used a taut line hitch or Blake's hitch.
I havent had to climb a tree in over 8 years.
I used to do line clearance on utilities.
Always inspect every piece daily/prior to use.
The tags on certified equipment should have an ansi# on them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think heavily worn equipment will be easily recognizable.

But your life is always going to be worth more than whatever you would save from buying used stuff.

Furk Yeah!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stay away from aluminium. The stuff usually doesn't bend, but breaks instead. Back in the days that kind of crap material did cost me a lot of money; kids with crappy skateboards asked me to instruct them on their skateboards.. And those aluminium trucks (where the wheels are connected with the board) lasted around 2 minutes beneath my feet.

A good helmet and safety goggles are a big plus too. Shit will drop from trees, sometimes with a bird or branch attached.. And it's not that much fun to have just one functioning eye (and reduced perception of depth) high up in a canopy. It's the kind of stuff that nobody talks about unless they've learned it the hard way. Lichen are a birch.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its amazing watching the guys trim trees in Dallas. Rope and rigging, no ladders. Not only climbing but the way they control the limbs being cut. Really cool to watch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buy a good harness!

Get a good comfortable helmet as you will bang your head often.

Caribiners are all made from aluminum. Unless you want steel, you will be hauling those heavy items up the tree yourself!

Depending on if you are single line ascent climbing or spiking up the tree with spurs will give you the choice of a wrap line (I use 5/8 with a cable because I carry a saw).

Climbing stores can get you a variety of prussiks. I often use prussiks because they are simple, but not all mainline ropes are ideal for them.

Climbingarborist.com has tons of cool videos and how too's. Plus a nunber of links for purchases.

Good luck.

Top Bottom