Anyone know about Ficus Moclame?

Mpcolson

Seed
Reaction score
I acquired a 6' tall ficus Moclame tree a couple months back. It's not like a ficus treei have ever seen before. It has kind of puppy tongue shaped leaves and grows limbs that angle up from a enter trunk. (I posted a photo). I transplanted it in a 5 gallon pot with new soil.

This ficus was so root bound I removed what seemed like miles of coiled roots ... It was a mess. So I let it grow a bit to adjust to all that root removal and it was doing well. I had new growth all over so I did what any rookie bonsai hobbiest would do... I chopped it into three parts.

This tree has/had a lot of Ariel roots. I purposely decided to plant the sections that had roots growing but my biggest concern is the remaining trunk.

How long does it take to see the trunk begin to sprout back out. I think I may have this operation too late in the year.

I'd like to get some feedback on how to proceed. I'm in Oklahoma City area. Region 7b. It's still in the 90's here for another month. In October things get a little touch and go as we normally have a cold snap for Halloween. I do plan to use an indoor greenhouse through winter and put everything back outside in late May to early June.

Attachments

• 9EDB9498-B5B1-44B8-AA04-A04E3DF82F19.jpeg
    9EDB9498-B5B1-44B8-AA04-A04E3DF82F19.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 41
  • C3A61088-E5FF-46D6-A012-E23A81B69490.jpeg
    C3A61088-E5FF-46D6-A012-E23A81B69490.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 41

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

S

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wonder if you bag it...if it will help. I'm new to ficus...but at least for my own too-little benjamina. It can't be fully defoliated. Green must be left at the top of a branch or a viable bud. Then some are fine with a more brutal hand. I would think covering it with a plastic bag to help with humidity may encourage back budding if it there is a chance for that. Good luck!

Mpcolson

Seed
Reaction score
Since my original post the stump has developed three green specs on the trunk. The first was only an inch up the stump, the second about two inches higher, and I think I see what looks like a third trying to come up.

I’ll post pics when they develop enough to grow out.

I’ve never heard of this species of Ficus before so it’s kind of a grand experiment for me. I’m happy the chop doesn’t appear to have killed the tree. I’ll try to update as much as possible.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome aboard!

I don't have any ficus experience but what I find more interesting at the moment is the bug on top the the highest leaf :D

Mpcolson

Seed
Reaction score
Looks like a stink bug. I don’t know really. He doesn’t reside on the patio anymore. ?

We have everything from tarantula to white flies around here. Good catch on that photo. I hadn't noticed it.

Top Bottom