Anyone know anything about this Nick Lenz tree?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently read an article about a large White Cedar that was initially 12' x 12' and he planted it on a slab near a pond at his home. Attached are a few pictures of the tree and the article that I read about it.
http://minnesotabonsaisociety.org/i...:temple-tree-&catid=7:miscellaneous&Itemid=14
http://minnesotabonsaisociety.org/i...:temple-tree-&catid=7:miscellaneous&Itemid=14

Does anyone know if this tree is still alive and well? Or any other info about it?Finished.jpg Before April 1998.jpg

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Yes, the tree was a gift to me years ago from Lenz. Later, when I was confident of its continued care I donated this imperial sized tree to the Como bonsai collection in Minneapolis St. Paul. It is alive and well. Sadly it resides in a fairly unaesthetic wood pot. It needs a wiring and some positional tweaking but is very healthy and had been pruned and thinned recently when I last saw it on display. It is a impressive and wonderful tree. I have a recent pic someehere

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, the tree was a gift to me years ago from Lenz. Later, when I was confident of its continued care I donated this imperial sized tree to the Como bonsai collection in Minneapolis St. Paul. It is alive and well. Sadly it resides in a fairly unaesthetic wood pot. It needs a wiring and some positional tweaking but is very healthy and had been pruned and thinned recently when I last saw it on display. It is a impressive and wonderful tree. I have a recent pic someehere
Well that's pretty amazing thanks Crust. From what I can tell of the pictures, it looks like a glorious beast. I hope to see it in person sometime.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Seeing Nick Lenz' name reminded me that he has the only published article on Hemlock that I can find.. 'Bonsai from the Wild' might be my favorite bonsai book.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
IMG_2447 - small.JPG Temple Tree with Dave - small.jpg
The shot in the Green house is at its home in the Como collection--of course, it's the backside, it was too heavy to move, the other was the tree with me at the Crust compound just before a hair cut.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like that tree. It must be a beast to repot though.

My study group did yearly workshops with Nick up until two years ago. I was only able to make it to two of them but wish I could have studied with Nick longer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a monster. Nice of you to donate such a tree, I wonder if you miss it. I have to say I like the tree in all pictures but I prefer the sparsest look.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I really like that tree. It must be a beast to repot though.

My study group did yearly workshops with Nick up until two years ago. I was only able to make it to two of them but wish I could have studied with Nick longer.
Cedars are easy to repot--securing it is a the deal.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Its a monster. Nice of you to donate such a tree, I wonder if you miss it. I have to say I like the tree in all pictures but I prefer the sparsest look.
So do I--they are always in transitions though. Keeping it in a shallow tray, growing slowly, and trimming it well at the right time--and keeping it in the right amount of shade, one could move to a sparse Lenzian look that is so cool--but they won't do that, staff, I am sure, are overwhelmed and volunteers are mostly block-heads.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I don
I don't really miss it. At the time,I could never give it the care it requires and was too poor to provide it with a good tray or stone. I only wish it was taken care of better but at least it is healthy and displayed.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score

Wow, you donated a wonderful tree to the public. What does imperial size mean?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow, you donated a wonderful tree to the public. What does imperial size mean?

David is a busy guy, basically it means BIG. Here is an older breakdown of size definitions that many still go by -

The size classifications, increasing in size:

Keshitsubo: 1-3" (3-8 cm)

Shito: 2-4" (5-10 cm)

Mame: 2-6" (5-15 cm)

Shohin: 5-8" (13-20 cm)

Komono: 6-10" (15-25 cm)

Katade-mochi: 10-18" (25-46 cm)

Chumono / Chiu: 16-36" (41-91 cm)

Omono / Dai: 30-48" (76-122 cm)

Hachi-uye: 40-60" (102-152 cm)

Imperial: 60-80" (152-203 cm)

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Height is a sliding scale and can be deceptive in describing a tree's size. I like to include weight as well as height. The Japanese also do this to some extent. They can reference the number of people it takes to lift a given tree --"one man" "two man," "four man" etc. That White Cedar is definitely a four man tree!

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
In an ongoing effort to culturally be translatable and appropriate centered, the Norbilly cultural region bonzo size classifications, increasing in size:

Itsy: 1-3" (3-8 cm)

Winky: 2-4" (5-10 cm)

Short-small: 2-6" (5-15 cm)

Smalls: 5-8" (13-20 cm)

Halfling: 6-10" (15-25 cm)

Midland: 10-18" (25-46 cm)

Chunky: 16-36" (41-91 cm)

Tallstien: 30-48" (76-122 cm)

Honker: 40-60" (102-152 cm)

Mombo: 60-80" (152-203 cm)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In an ongoing effort to culturally be translatable and appropriate centered, the Norbilly cultural region bonzo size classifications, increasing in size:

Itsy: 1-3" (3-8 cm)

Winky: 2-4" (5-10 cm)

Short-small: 2-6" (5-15 cm)

Smalls: 5-8" (13-20 cm)

Halfling: 6-10" (15-25 cm)

Midland: 10-18" (25-46 cm)

Chunky: 16-36" (41-91 cm)

Tallstien: 30-48" (76-122 cm)

Honker: 40-60" (102-152 cm)

Mombo: 60-80" (152-203 cm)
Hmmmm, I definitely have a Tallstien or two or three but I'd have to get the tape measure out because I may have a Mombo on my hands and don't even know it,, so to speak. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom