Anyone know how to go about purchasing a Japanese Nofosel?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's a very varied cultivar.
A local bonsai nursery seems to have many of them.
Hard to describe, but if it's nicely shaped and/or has healthy nice blossoms, and I inquire about it, the man always says, "Nofosel."
Then he turns away and walks off.
If I find another nice tree, it is also Nofosel.

They aren't tagged any differently from any of the other trees in the nursery. They are just nice.
I am beginning to think that the defining element of the Nofosel is that it is good looking.

Have any of you been able to acquire a Nofosel? If so, what's your secret?

:mad:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nursery i used to live near was like that until the housing market went south and his landscaping biz went with it. Suddenly everything became fosel..

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How long have you been a customer?

Have you bought other trees?

Have you proven to him that you can keep them alive? Have you proven to him that you can improve the trees you've purchased from him?

Nice trees take a lot of time and effort to create. He probably doesn't want to sell to someone he's not sure will be able to take proper care of it.

I think he needs to build trust in you before he will sell his nicest trees.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If I was in the selling business I would feel like that but I would also be in the business of selling too.

Exactly. Imagine a car salesmen not wanting to sell you a car because of how he thought you might drive it???

If i kill the tree I'm going to come back and buy another!! Then you can take my money again!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long have you been a customer?

Have you bought other trees?

Have you proven to him that you can keep them alive? Have you proven to him that you can improve the trees you've purchased from him?

Nice trees take a lot of time and effort to create. He probably doesn't want to sell to someone he's not sure will be able to take proper care of it.

I think he needs to build trust in you before he will sell his nicest trees.

Selling living things that take time and care to develop are usually sold with a measure of caution, if the seller has any heart and sense.

Funny, but these same questions are asked by reputable dog breeders about new customers (My mom bred and showed terriers for over 25 years and these are almost verbatim what she'd consider with new owners for puppies)

These sellers are protecting their stock, and themselves from possible disaster--death is not fun for either the buyer or the seller.

Puppy mill breeder who churn out puppies for profit don't ask questions or make distinctions about how their "product" is going to end up. They just want the money.If you kill a tree I've worked on for two decades and treat them like they're disposable, I'm certainly going to think long and hard about whether you can handle the tree you want when you come looking for a replacement.

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Huh, am I the only one who doesn't know what a Nofosel is?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've only been a customer for ....oh.... 9 years or so.
With a decent enough checkbook to buy a pot for a hunnert bucks. (Sure I know there are better...but still)
And they know I can keep them alive (except ONE that I returned for an exchange about 6 years ago)
And his WIFE sells most stuff to me. EXCEPT TREES!
It's been at least 3 of the past patronage years that I have not been able to buy a tree.
My FIRST purchases were small trees and I paid what they asked.
It's almost like a Nofosel needs a special permit.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How big's your checkbook...

Cuz if it's big enough.....you can hit him with it!?

What's a checkbook?
A list of different questions to inquire about purchase, that one can mark asked/tried?

I'd ask them when they will be for sale.

A few years of growth can certainly increase the value.
Maybe he is just waiting to put a better price on it.

Is a car salesman gonna sell you a car in 15 minutes.......or is he going to spend 25 minutes and sell you upgrades, warranties, car mats, an alarm?

This is the same!

I wouldn't sell you a tree today for $100 , when I can sell it to you in x years for $1000.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Find another nursery that doesn't have that variety

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There are many reasons why something is not for sale- my nursery has several NFS areas. Sometimes they are students or customers trees, sometimes they are trees I'm working on and want to get to a certain point before I sell them. Some of the trees NFS are my personal collection. I used to just put outrageous prices on those but that can backfire. Sometimes its something I'm using as a stock plant or something I want to play with. Could be a rare plant. Sometimes I don't think the buyer can care for it and I'll be damned if I'm going to sell a nice tree I've have a bunch of time and effort in to someone who I don't believe can keep it alive. Sometimes I won't sell a tree because I straight up don't like the person. All that being said there are times I'll sell what otherwise might be NFS- if I think the person can care for it and would really enjoy and care for it or in the case of really expensive trees I get hired to maintain it- or if I really like the person - or if I really need the money....

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
^
^
Now that makes sense.
I would REVEL in it if he would put the damn nofosels in a different place.
But nooooooooooooo....... they are mixed in with all the fosels and I suppose it's some sort of perverted guessing game.
He is NOT amenable to being questioned about WHEN they will morph into fosels........so..... yes..... I do mostly patronize the nurseries who don't stock the nofosels.
Plus the ones who don't mix them with the fosels and play games.

Top Bottom