Anyone know how to write “heaven and earth in one container” in Japanese?

seanothon

Seedling
Reaction score
I am starting my bonsai tattoo and I would like this included but I have no clue about Japanese writing.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
online japanese translater says this:

天と 1 つのコンテナ地球

I have no idea if it is correct. It may say something derogatory about your mother, I dont know because I don't speak Japanese. But then again, neither will most anyone else who sees your tattoo.:)

Kiani

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would only ask Japanese people, and not any Japanese, but people who know their literature well.

seanothon

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah, I was hoping someone on here may be extra knowledgeable in bonsai history. I'm not for sure it would be a direct translation, either.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's probably something like this, but don't quote me.

一盆に天と地 

(One Pot in, Heaven and Earth) I'm not Japanese, I do know Korean and Chinese. Korean and Japanese have the same grammar structure.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Although the Character 盆 is used for bonsai the more specific term used by bonsai artists and in bonsai books when talking about pots is Hachi 鉢 (and no, has no reference to the movie about the Dog Hachi. That character is eight 八) The heaven cited previously in two posts are colloquial. I would not use 地球 as it refers to the planet Earth. Also remove all Hiragana...When doing a Tattoo, like Calligraphy, you just want to have the Characters in the phrase.

A martial artist paid me $15.00 last week to translate this paragraph for him.

生徒16人分の会員費を同封致しましたのでご確認願います。

また、級と段位の証書の費用も入れています。

私は2011年十月にあやせ武道館の五段を取得しました。その証書も同封しました、といいますのは、私がインフォメーションの用紙にきれいに書かなかったせいかもしれませんが、その五段の証書には私の名前が「Ted」と書かれてあります。しかし私の名前は「Jed」です。できれば名前を正しく訂正して、新たな証書を送って頂ければと思います。もし、訂正するための費用を支払う必要があればそのようにしますのでお知らせください。お手数をおかけして申し訳ございません。

コノプカ・ジェドより

Enclosed please find membership fees for 16 students.

Also, please find fees for the enclosed kyu and dan level rank certificates (completed form included).

I tested for Godan at the Ayase Budokan in October of 2011. The certificates I was mailed are also included in this package. Unfortunately, I must not have printed very clearly on the godan information forms as my certificates have been made out as "Ted" instead of "Jed". I was wondering if I could be mailed replacement certificates with the correct spelling on them- if there is a fee that needs to be paid please mail me the cost and I would be happy to do so. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Thanks, Jonathan- and I will be making a donation for your services...I can't let you get away with not being compensated, at least a little bit, for your time and assistance :)

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Although the Character 盆 is used for bonsai the more specific term used by bonsai artists and in bonsai books when talking about pots (in your case Containers) is Hachi 鉢 (and no, has no reference to the movie about the Dog Hachi. That character is eight 八) The heaven cited previously in two posts are colloquial. I would not use 地球 as it refers to the planet Earth. Also remove all Hiragana...When doing a Tattoo, like Calligraphy, you just want to have the Characters in the phrase.

A martial artist paid me $15.00 last week to translate this paragraph for him.

生徒16人分の会員費を同封致しましたのでご確認願います。

また、級と段位の証書の費用も入れています。

私は2011年十月にあやせ武道館の五段を取得しました。その証書も同封しました、といいますのは、私がインフォメーションの用紙にきれいに書かなかったせいかもしれませんが、その五段の証書には私の名前が「Ted」と書かれてあります。しかし私の名前は「Jed」です。できれば名前を正しく訂正して、新たな証書を送って頂ければと思います。もし、訂正するための費用を支払う必要があればそのようにしますのでお知らせください。お手数をおかけして申し訳ございません。

コノプカ・ジェドより

Enclosed please find membership fees for 16 students.

Also, please find fees for the enclosed kyu and dan level rank certificates (completed form included).

I tested for Godan at the Ayase Budokan in October of 2011. The certificates I was mailed are also included in this package. Unfortunately, I must not have printed very clearly on the godan information forms as my certificates have been made out as "Ted" instead of "Jed". I was wondering if I could be mailed replacement certificates with the correct spelling on them- if there is a fee that needs to be paid please mail me the cost and I would be happy to do so. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Thanks, Jonathan- and I will be making a donation for your services...I can't let you get away with not being compensated, at least a little bit, for your time and assistance :)

seanothon

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. Just to be clear, I am referring to the old bonsai saying "Heaven and Earth in one container", so the translation could be the closest thing that makes sense in English. It may say something different in its original form.

Top Bottom