Anyone know what this is?

oliviad

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I think I’ve got a sick juniper on my hands. I found this weird growth on it and number one, it’s disgusting... but the tree itself isn’t looking so hot. -can anyone tell me what this nasty growth thing is, and what I should do for my poor tree?

Thanks,

Olivia

Attachments

• 5EA42C98-F3C2-424B-8465-28BF6173507F.jpeg
    5EA42C98-F3C2-424B-8465-28BF6173507F.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 44
  • 3CF1D930-179C-4909-B595-AB773BEC3389.jpeg
    3CF1D930-179C-4909-B595-AB773BEC3389.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 43

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Hi all,

I think I’ve got a sick juniper on my hands. I found this weird growth on it and number one, it’s disgusting... but the tree itself isn’t looking so hot. -can anyone tell me what this nasty growth thing is, and what I should do for my poor tree?

Thanks,

Olivia
Definitely rust - probably pear rust. AFAIK pear rust lives on junipers... Unfortunately there is no cure. It cannot infect other junipers directly, only pears. From pears it can infect other junipers. As soon as it appears just cut off infected part and burn it (some advice to burn the whole tree but that's too extreme).

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definitely rust - probably pear rust. AFAIK pear rust lives on junipers... Unfortunately there is no cure. It cannot infect other junipers directly, only pears. From pears it can infect other junipers. As soon as it appears just cut off infected part and burn it (some advice to burn the whole tree but that's too extreme).
In my region it is apples; hence, it is known as 'cedar apple rust'. Regardless, I agree with the i.d.

I had it appear on one branch of a juniper in my collection. Cut off the affected branch (like done for the OP's pic). Sprayed fungicide. Haven't seen it again. It has been 4 years now, IIRC.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
https://ag.tennessee.edu/EPP/Extension Publications/Plant Diseases Cedar-Apple Rust.pdf

The link is to an U of Tennessee PDF on cedar apple rust. It explains the disease and gives generic treatment for the disease. It says many fruit and tree fungicides do not contain the correct active ingredient to control cedar apple rust, so read the label to be sure the product you use is effective.

Reading any pesticide label is important, as it tells you what it controls, how and when to treat the disease. Also, it is against federal law to apply any pesticide in any way that it is not labeled for control.

Top Bottom