Anyone know what this is?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In case not knowing: Lots of Sunlight and no wet feet! Soil may be damp but not wet. Most cacti and succulents despise wetness in soil and roots will rot.

VERMONT USA !!!!

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haworthia without a doubt.

keep it in shade !!!! They don't like direct sun.
i'm an cactus grower and this is the plant people grow when they can't have direct sun.

they also have a rest period. You might check it.

Like cactus got a rest period between autumn to spring. Aloes rest in summer. Check for Haworthia rest period.

iif my memory is fine, they can flourish

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haworthia without a doubt.

keep it in shade !!!! They don't like direct sun.
i'm an cactus grower and this is the plant people grow when they can't have direct sun.

they also have a rest period. You might check it.

Like cactus got a rest period between autumn to spring. Aloes rest in summer. Check for Haworthia rest period.

iif my memory is fine, they can flourish
30D5D34F-075D-4BE6-BB00-5AACA828719B.jpegC2CE9F22-3B12-447E-8B8C-15006BD5DEA4.jpegFirst picture = Haworthia
Second picture = Aloe Aristata

For me the originsl posters picture looks much more like the 2nd.

VERMONT USA !!!!

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No it's definitely not an hawortia.
I think Haworthia attenuata.
I may wrong but I really think about haworthia.
But as not a big fan of aloe, maybe I'm wrong

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have had one for a decade or so. And I stopped removing the runners, just doing an annual cleanup in spring. Last winter it stayed outside. EVen through it was completely frozen at some point, it just woke up in spring. Not sure How cold they can handle but a few nights of frost are no issue, clearly. Our winter last year was mild, not below 20F.

1602924660633.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aloe doesn't made reject. Haworthia does and really well
What does "made reject" mean.
And I disagree. OPs plant is an aloe. I have about 16 varieties of haworthia and about 8 of aloe. Certainly there are similarities but few haworthia are toothed and the ones that are are dwarfish. Also never seen a haworthia where a single plant is that large. I may have one about 5 inches across but it looks very dissimilar from the OPs plant which is 8 inches.
Yes, aloe.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this beautiful 8” succulent from my work today but it doesn’t say what the actual type it is. I’m not familiar with this category whatsoever and hopefully someone can help me out so I can do some research about it. My apologies as I know this is not a bonsai tree but I hoped someone could help out. Thanks in advance.
Juicy foemina

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is how they make more plants. They can also flower and have seeds but seeds are hit and miss in desert environment. It makes sense to start with almost full grown babies where conditions are harsh.
Just cut the pup off and plant in another pot. They don't even need roots to start. The pup will grow new roots as soon as it is in soil and grow into a full sized plant.
Excellent to know! Thank you!

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This one I purchased sometime around 2004. It throws a runner every 2 weeks and flowers at least once a year. The flower stalk is twice as long as a healthy orchid flower stalk. The flowers are pink socks that appear to be a hummingbird’s treat usually lasting 3-5 days and drying up the stalk for roughly a month.

In Africa it is crushed and used in the bath to heal skin. It makes an excellent morning window plant.

Always use a round pot with a diameter of the leafs. Runners can be torn loose like breaking a crab leg and zip-locked in a small amount of water to grow roots, one drop of superthrive is helpful. I have given away many.View attachment 335089View attachment 335090View attachment 335091
That’s an absolutely beautiful plant!! How old would you say mine is in the pic above? Thanks for all the helpful pics as well. Very helpful for a newb like me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s an absolutely beautiful plant!! How old would you say mine is in the pic above? Thanks for all the helpful pics as well. Very helpful for a newb like me.
Thank you, I would say 2 years in a nursery. Or just a few months from cutting, but it wouldn’t look that uniform yet. Like a Jade the leafs will thin when it wants a good drink and get plump and stiffen when full.

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What other succulents are your favorites? After getting this Aloe Aristata, I’ve been looking for other succulents that have a unique and different look. Maybe there’s other posts similar to this but you guys/gals have been the most helpful.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
What other succulents are your favorites? After getting this Aloe Aristata, I’ve been looking for other succulents that have a unique and different look. Maybe there’s other posts similar to this but you guys/gals have been the most helpful.
Crassula ovata without variegation for starters to have something healthy and vibrant for not just your lifetime but a family member. Then pick up as many variegated crassula as you find them and decide to keep over the winter. I would definitely recommend the Gollum over others. You can make nice informal uprights with them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crassula ovata without variegation for starters to have something healthy and vibrant for not just your lifetime but a family member. Then pick up as many variegated crassula as you find them and decide to keep over the winter. I would definitely recommend the Gollum over others. You can make nice informal uprights with them.
These Jade all came from the mother plant in the center (Jackie) who is roughly 69 years old.
B28CD2C0-50BC-4334-9E90-F3399DAB8605.jpeg
Here a Gollum starting to show informal upright growth. A7943BA4-4615-47EC-BD65-8D2D97D2E317.jpeg

Top Bottom